Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spicymchaggis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
I have a iPhone 3GS with 5.1 iOS
It's baseband is 05.16.05
iboot-359.3.2
First 5 digits of serial is 82016
Is there anyway I can unlock this for his network?
I'm aware of the iPad baseband workaround but I think my iboot doesnt allow for this

b0bab0i

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
Yes you can do 6.15.00 BB, but its irreversible.
What carrier is the phone locked to?

spicymchaggis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
I appreciate the speedy reply.
I thought the baseband trick only works for the old boot rom?
When people say gps does not work what exactly does it do? No more google maps or location services or does it only really affect sat nav?
I think most apps use the masts from celluar providers to use most location services?

----------

Sorry I'm based in Ireland

fullmanfullninj

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
Yeah honestly, avoid the iPad baseband. It was released as a last resort kind of tool if you jailbreaking meant like...life or death (kidding) for you. It messes up your GPS and is irreversible.

Just see if you have an ATT friend who would be willing to get ATT to unlock your device (just give him/her your IMEI). I have read about different users who have iPad baseband on their older iPhone device and want to revert to a regular iPhone baseband now that ATT unlocks devices...unfortunately, cannot be done.

Either have a friend do it or take a look at the various ATT unlocking threads and try your luck with them.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Yeah honestly, avoid the iPad baseband. It was released as a last resort kind of tool if you jailbreaking meant like...life or death (kidding) for you. It messes up your GPS and is irreversible.

Just see if you have an ATT friend who would be willing to get ATT to unlock your device (just give him/her your IMEI). I have read about different users who have iPad baseband on their older iPhone device and want to revert to a regular iPhone baseband now that ATT unlocks devices...unfortunately, cannot be done.

Either have a friend do it or take a look at the various ATT unlocking threads and try your luck with them.

Actually, AT&T will unlock any out of contract phone, customer or not.
Just contact them.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
No it's locked to an irish network

Oh, then never mind.
AT&T can only unlock iphones that are locked to them.
Sorry to confuse you.
Back to your question yes only other option is the ipad baseband.
You will lose your GPS function completelly. Anything that will need to use it including maps might show you miles away.
And many other issues that come with the ipad baseband.
Up to you if you want to go for it.

j4l

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2012
I'm from the UK and my 3gs is unlocked via ipad baseband 6.15.00 - it only affects map's really, for example it will not show your exact location - but this is not a problem for me as i hardly use this feature of the iphone.. Apart from that no other problems (other than you will void your warranty if you have any)

so really its a personal choice.

spicymchaggis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
It's long out of warranty. Cheers for that. It's just for my aul man as his first smart phone so I reckon net and email will do him fine along with apps.
Cheers for all the replies, might try it later

b0bab0i

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
It's long out of warranty. Cheers for that. It's just for my aul man as his first smart phone so I reckon net and email will do him fine along with apps.
Cheers for all the replies, might try it later

Just a reminder, once you install iPad BB, you can never restore the phone using normal firmware. After iPad BB is installed, you will have to use Custom IPSW's from now on.

spicymchaggis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
what do I use to backup?
I just installed it and it worked and then used cydia to install ultrasn0w but it cant find a network. It's ultrasn0w to unlock network right?

b0bab0i

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
Put sim in, Toggle Airplane mode on, then off.

You should be able to receive reception.

If you are on iOS5.1 you may need ultrasn0w fixer

b0bab0i

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012

spicymchaggis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
Yep i stated this in post #21:D:D:D

sorry was half asleep at that stage and only saw toggle airplane mode for some reason. cheers for the input. It's working grand and he loves it.
Do I back up as regular with itunes but how do I restore now that it needs custom firmware?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.