Batman : Arkham Asylum

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, Aug 7, 2009.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So the demo is up on both PSN & Live. Let me just say the demo is excellent, and its clear from the demo that this is going to be a big hit. Production values really excel and it is fun to play.

I've downloaded both demos (in order to decide for which platform I am going to pick this up on) and can objectively tell you which is better from my experience.

Originally I had planned to buy this on PS3 as the Joker character exclusive thing, had made it seem the better choice.

For par on par conversions then for once it seems they have done a good job on this one, with only small differences between the two, but nothing to write home about.

Maybe the 360 has 'slightly' better AA and less jaggies, the PS3 however loads textures just 'fractionally' quicker...
    Like I say nothing major and i guess choice is down to controller preference.

Definitely going to pick this up. Still..... :) Im just going to buy the cheapest version I can get ;)

2. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I'm Batman! :]

This game is better than I had expected.

3. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Ahhhhhh!!! I've heard great stuff about the demo, but I'm on vacation. I guess I'll try it when I get back. I can't wait!

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I like it...it feels like a splinter cell/MGS type game. I love stealth games so this is right up my alley.

I hope the melee combat take a back seat to the stealth/investigation part of the game...seems like the Asylum itself has a lot to it(puzzle wise)

Bless

5. spoon man macrumors 6502a

spoon man

I spent most of this morning playing this demo its alot better than I thought I can’t wait to get it at the end of the month :D

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I was actually disappointed w/the demo. It felt too paint-by-numbers (press X here, press Y there, use 'investigation mode' now, up there is a place to use your grapple) and the 'cinematic' slow-mo in the fighting got old kinda quick. Hopefully that's just the demo and the whole game doesn't hold your hand as much.

Lethal

7. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Yeah, I thought it was a little too linear, too. "There are people with guns, see if you can find a way around them. Oh look - there is something to grapple..."

Kinda like the first Splinter Cell that was completely linear, just a series of predetermined actions you had to do to get through a section.

But yeah, maybe the final game will be different. The reviews so far have been really good.

I'm still not gonna buy it though. The only two games I will get this holiday season are Uncharted 2 and the new Ratchet and Clank.

8. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm assuming it was linear because it was a demo / tutorial. Hopefully once your past that section and the controls have been explained the game will open up.

9. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

I got to test demo it a a few months ago, and it was awesome then. It's still awesome now, if not better.

10. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I played the demo on the 360 and it was awesome but the free flowing combat system seems a bit like button mashing but gliding and grappling is fun.

ChrisN

11. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Finally got to try out the demo, and I love it. I wasn't really expecting much from this game, and was even about to skip the demo. I should have skipped it... cause now I'm going to buy it :p.

If it's linear, I really couldn't care. The game feels like a good action/adventure with a few cool new ideas, sweet combat animations, and it really feels like a batman movie. I can't wait!

12. MavsX macrumors member

MavsX

ugh...you are forgetting about modern warfare 2 !!!!!!!

13. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Maybe he doesn't want Modern Warfare :p.

I wish there were only two games I wanted this holiday, that would be great on my wallet... But there are 10 that I can think of. :rolleyes:

14. Sobek macrumors newbie

For the first time in quite a while I seem to be buying new releases: ODST, Wolfenstein, MW2, Arkham Asylum, Ghostbusters... expensive but it's nice to have good titles (IMO!) coming out at a decent pace.

The demo impressed me once I got myself out of a FPS frame of mind and got into playing Batman. Once I did that I thought it was great - enough so I've played the demo a couple of times. Looking forward to getting it next week (Collectors Edition for the hell of it!) but I've got ODST arriving tomorrow to contend with in the meantime :)

15. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

That's what I'm hoping. Seems pretty good from the demo, but I'll wait until there are more user reviews after release before I decide to buy or not. Seems promising though.

I've only just joined the PS3 crowd anyways and there are cheaper, older games to be had before I get the likes of this, Infamous, Ghostbusters etc.

16. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

ODST? Tomorrow? It comes out September 22 worldwide.

17. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

18. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

What makes you think that? :confused: :rolleyes:

Seriously though, it's a big *maybe* on my list. Uncharted and R&C are definites, and I doubt those two combined with my current backlog will even leave me time for MW2.

19. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

20. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

21. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well a great game.... now to decide whether to get PS3 or 360 version :eek:

I'm veering for the PS3 for the Joker DLC, however IGN do give the 360 the graphics edge.

22. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I doubt it's that much of an edge. I always ignore graphics when I pick a console for the game. It's always close enough that it won't ruin the game :p.

23. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

From the demo I'd agree with Batman being close...
    So much so that I will continue to get the PS3 version.

Unfortunetly this is not always the case, in fact from my experience it's a rarity.

Take for example the recent demo's of other games I have played lately such as Call of Juarez 2, the PS3 still comes out really badly in comparison to it's 360 counterpart. Juarez 2 on PS3 is running at what looks like standard definition 540p (or less), with much poorer washed out textures. The 360 version on the other hand is 720p, sharp & crisp, 2 x AA and features some nice high res textures.

Take even big games like Ghostbusters as another, (And that was the lead console platform) which suffers in much the same way.

These are not little differences - and when your spending $60 for a console game, you really should be getting the 'best' version of that console game...

24. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^You never fail me:p...MRU from my experience and what I purchased there are so many games where both version are on par or slightly on the PS3 side like Dead Space, SF4, Mirror's Edge, blazblue and etc. but I agree with getting your moneys worth so get the version you think is right for you.

The graphic difference in BAA is so small it doesn't really matter. I'm hoping the Joker content is ready by the time the game ships. I knew this game would be great from the demo but the reviews...icing on the cake.

Bless

25. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

That's what I'm here for matey ;)