Batman vs. Superman

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by RawBert, Dec 3, 2015.

?

Which of the two do you think will win?

1. Batman

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Superman

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

There is a new trailer for ‘Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice’ and it looks AWESOME.

(Link)

Of just two main superheroes, which do you think will win in a fight?

I would choose Superman but I think I'm in the minority. Either way, I'm looking forward to the movie.

[​IMG]

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Neither will win. This is the beginning the Super Friends. Remember?

3. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

The problem is: neither will kill the other. If that was on the table, there's no way batman can win. Superman picks him up and throws him into the sun.

I'll be 46 next month.

4. Melrose, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015

Melrose Suspended

Melrose

It's not a fight - it's a temporary misunderstanding between two characters anyone with five or six braincells knows the studio would never kill off because it means too much money.

1. Superheros misunderstand each other/mindless public misunderstands superheros.
    2. Lex Luther is bad, and horrendously miscast as Mark Zuckerburg.
    3. More of the same Superhero stuff we've been seeing for the past 15 years: Good guys almost get killed, but you know they'll never actually be killed so no suspense whatsoever. (a) take the script from any of your favorite Superhero movies; (b) change the characters, bad guys, and corny setting; (c) add special effects and a little heartwarming backstory; (d) mix in some innuendo, dumb one-liners, several dozen big CGI explosions, and tons and tons of stylized gore & violence. Profit.

I mean, obviously my view is a tad cynical, but man alive they are just overdoing these superhero movies. I saw the first Spidermen movies, the first Ironman, the first of the second Spidermans, and ended up turning off Captain American halfway through because it was just more of the same stuff. I skipped Superman altogether once I read Superman killed someone - that's as unrealistic as Matthew McConaughey in a spacesuit hiding behind his bookshelf. But that's me.. no hating on peeps who like it.

I digress - to answer OP's question: In an honest-to-goodness, mano-a-mano fight without interference from good old fashioned virtues, myriad screenwriters, and the movie going public, it's a no-brainer: Batman would be toasted on a stick like Dusty Bottoms' bat in The Three Amigos.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

In the Dark Knight Returns, Batman fights superman in a suit similar to what is shown in the movie trailer. In the comment book, Batman dies, or at least that's what Batman convey's to Superman.

As for the movie, I'm looking forward to this, it appears to be a good movie and all the trailers that have been released seem to show a solid movie, with one exception. I'm not sure I'm sold on Jesse Eisenberg as Lex and so far the trailers have not allayed those fears.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

In a previous discussion I had with my nephews, the consensus was that if Batman had kryponite, he'd win. Otherwise, no contest. Superman would kick Batman's buttock around the globe. ;) I just hope Henry Cavill has kicked his Napoleon Solo id. ;)

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There was at least one comic book where Batman had Lex Luthor's kryptonite ring and he fought Superman wearing that ring.

I agree, the actual fight would be heavily slanted towards Superman given his natural abilities.

8. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

Neither would win, for just as one of them was going to kill the other that superhero would realize he's a good guy. :eek:

9. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I gotta agree with this sentiment. Batman's main strength his ability to make meticulous plans that exploits the weakness and tendencies of his opponents. Superman biggest weakness is his intelligence. Look at each superhero's archenemy. For Batman it's the Joker. His unpredictability forces Batman to wing it in every encounter, effectively neutralizing his greatest strength. Superman's archenemy is either Brainiac or Luthor, both of whom possesses superior intellect.

Batman wins. Kryptonite, a substance so rare and valuable that it can neither be brought by love nor money, is readily obtainable by supervillains of the DC Comic world.:rolleyes: Batman just needs to clean Luthor's clock to get his hands on the stuff.:p

10. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Ethics aside, if Batman fought Superman, Batman would win. Batman's intellect would prevent him from losing to Superman. Either he'd have Kryptonite or he would have the foresight to take Lois Lane or Clark's family hostage (again, ethics aside). If there was a way to beat Superman, Batman would undoubtedly find it.

11. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

But for Batman the whole part about ethics/morals is something that plays quite a large role in his identity. So, yes, ethics aside that would likely be the case, but ethics aside it really wouldn't be Batman anymore either.

13. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Basically, as long as neither Batman nor Superman are willing to kill each other, neither could win. If we lift the "cannot kill", Batman would win.

14. Savor Suspended

Savor

Superman would win and I am NOT into him at all. I grew up on Batman since I was 8. In the comics, anything can happen and it depends on what the writers want to do with their story. Batman usually won in the comics with Krytonite gear and using his intelligence. But brawn v brawn, Batman doesn't stand a chance unless Wonder Woman helps him. Superman can just grab Batman and dump him into a volcano. The movie looks to pro-Batman the same way the trailer to Captain America: Civil War tries hard to make Tony Stark the villain.

I look forward to the movie next year along with Captain America: Civil War but for the WWE-ish storyline. Not a fan with Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor. Miscast. With Civil War, I don't buy Iron Man or War Machine, Vision, and a young Spider-Man could lose to a team that consist of Captain America, Bucky, Hawkeye, and Scarlet Witch. Iron Man can do the same to Cap and dump him into a volcano. Or take Cap's shield and blast him. But it needs a story to set up a drawn out fight that realistically can end in seconds if this were reality.

For sure, neither Superman and Batman will win in the movie like Captain America and Iron Man won't really win either. Batman doesn't kill anyway. They have a disagreement, the audience can choose a side, and then they join forces again for future films like Avengers: Infinity Wars and a Justice League movie. Real men let go of grudges faster than women do. I expect good vibes after like Jackie Chan v Jet Li in The Forbidden Kingdom.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

And things were going fairly well until that trite non sequitur penultimate sentence.