Battery 100% ---> 48% overnight with no apps running?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alleyooptroop, Oct 6, 2012.

1. alleyooptroop macrumors regular

Just as the title states, I went to bed at around 12:30 last night with a full charge and no apps running. When I got up at 7:00 the battery was down to 48%. Wifi was turned on but I haven't had any problems getting a signal in my room. Any ideas why the battery drained so much so quickly? It's a 64gb vzw version from week 36.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

It was probably doing something in the background, like fetching email or so, also it seems that location Services eat a lot of battery.
    You might consider turning certain things off at night time since you don't need them.

3. Macinva macrumors 6502

Macinva

I had a similar experience. Apple sent me another one and it had other issues.

I just returned my 5 to the AT&T store and reverted back to my 4S for the time being. I decided to wait a bit with the hopes they work out the issues people are experiencing. There's people who got good phones but I wasn't lucky enough to get one myself.

It's a shame too because I love the 5.

4. Aurial macrumors 6502

Have you got iCloud Backup switched on? Mine uploads about 4GB of data a night, although you haven't got yours plugged in.

5. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

Depending on how much media you have on your device I would recommend restoring the phone. I have always found it better to install a fresh copy of iOS from my computer every time I buy an iphone instead of leaving the os from the factory installed.

6. alleyooptroop thread starter macrumors regular

I do have email pushed but to drain the battery halfway seems extreme. It doesn't drain the battery that quickly during the day so I'm wondering why it does it at night.

7. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I had the same problem with my launch day iPhone 4. It was replaced at the Apple Store.

Restoring the phone did not work.

8. alleyooptroop thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I think I'm going to give that a try. How do I restore info from certain apps?

9. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Did you do a clean install and start over from scratch ?

10. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

That I haven't figured out yet... I have always tried to restore game data and things like that but I can never figure out how.

11. darster Suspended

Location services is a drainer. If I leave it on the battery will lose 15% overnight. With it off around 5%.

12. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

On My 3GS it makes a lot of difference, 1-1 1/2 days with it on or 4 days with Location Services off.

13. alleyooptroop thread starter macrumors regular

One thing I noticed is that the location services indicator comes on even when I don't have any apps running. Is that normal?

14. tworth23 macrumors regular

Not having battery issues but for those having battery issues draining on standby, make sure you turn off wifi sync. Apparently there is an issue with phone searching for network to stay connected which causes massive drain nits been a problem since ios 5

15. alleyooptroop thread starter macrumors regular

I just checked and I don't have it on.

16. darster Suspended

Wifi sync is only supposed to occur if phone is plugged into a power source. Anyway, I always disable that on itunes on my computer.

17. millerhifi macrumors regular

I always thought the same too but I'm able to do a wifi sync without being plugged into a power source.

18. matttye macrumors 601

Do you have any location reminders set or location aware passes in passbook?

19. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

It is supposed to only do the sync automatically when plugged in. But you can force it manually.

----------

It can be, yes. Depends on what apps have used location services recently. Even if the app is only in the background, they can still use the service. And yes, location services love battery juice.

Did you do a restore as new or from an old backup?

20. alleyooptroop thread starter macrumors regular

Lots of great things to check on mentioned here. I guess my concern is regardless of location services, email fetch etc. should the battery be drained halfway in 6.5 hours?

21. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

There should be an easy configurable toggle button somewhere so that you yourself can turn things of when needed.
    For instance, I don't want Wifi, bluetooth and location services on at night time, I configure it that way, press the button and it is on or off.

22. alleyooptroop thread starter macrumors regular

This would be great

----------

Noobish thought but the SIM card couldn't be the culprit could it?

23. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

I had the same issue last night with this phantom usage. Drained 50% overnight. This has nothing to do with the iphone 5. It used to happed all the time to me with the 4S as well. Since I am on the lowest data plan this makes a big diff to me. It's due to something related to the 3G radio. I have run tests and if I leave the 3G radio on the phantom usage occurs. If I turn it off the 3G radio at night and just leave the wifi on I check the ATT site in the moring for usage and there is none. Last night when I forget about the 3G and left it on and off the charger it said I used 77 MB! I DID NOT! Run a test yourself. check your battery and usage before going to bed and leave the 3G on one night and then the next night try it without the 3G on.
    I literally get NO drainage when only the wifi is on!

24. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

BINGO - what really kills my battery is passbook in privacy->location services. I have since disabled it and battery life is FAR better. I believe passbook constantly tries to determine where you are so it can float an appropriate pass on the lock screen.

25. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

really? didn't think it made a difference...i always only lose 4-6% overnight even with that on.

didn't think having icloud on matters at all either.