Battery Backup Surge Protectors

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by RDM3, Apr 17, 2009.

1. RDM3 macrumors regular

This may be a stupid question, but I hope it's not.....

I have a battery backup surge protector on my desktops, I was told I don't need one for a laptop because the laptop evens out the currents etc, is that true? Does anyone still use a battery backup surge protector for their laptop?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You don't need battery backup, but surge protector isn't a bad idea.

However, if you normally run your MB with external harddrives, then you might consider a UPS. That way, you don't have your external drives dropping offline during a power failure. Your MB will be notified via USB when it's running on backup power, so you can shutdown gracefully (or, it can be set to shutdown automatically based on backup power remaining).

I'm running an APC BackUPS 550 on my MBP and its 4 external FW drives. I got tired of having them unceremoniously shutting down durning the frequent power glitches/outages we were having during local wildfires and the handful of "normal" outages we have yearly.

3. RDM3 thread starter macrumors regular

You make a great point, I have a 1tb external drive hooked up for Time MAchine to back up on, plus I use it for any other files, I do have a surge protector on it now, but I think I will have to get a battery back up one.