Battery Charge Indicator behavior... a little odd.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mousouchop, Sep 30, 2009.

1. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Is this odd?

I just got a new 15" MBP, and the battery charge indicator on the side is a little-- funny. When I have the screen open and the computer on, the indicator is very dim, almost unnoticable when there is a lot of ambient like shining on the aluminum. But, when I close my computer lid-- the indicator lights are about 5 times brighter and actually easily visible.

Before this rig and had an aluminum macbook and the battery indicator lights where the same brightness with or without the screen open. Is this some new feature on the newer Macbooks? Or is this possibly a Snow Leopard problem (my unibody aluminum macbook ran Leopard only).

Any response would be much appreciated. Aside from this-- the system is cherry and wonderful. And I only use the indicator when the computer is off and charging-- so there isn't much of an issue. It just-- caught me by surprise.

Sorta thinking it must be software (i.e. Snow Leopard) error due to the fact that it is at full brightness when not operating.

EDIT: Yeah, only when the operating system is running is the indicator dimmed. Hmm-- what a weird thing. haha.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Their brightness is controlled by the ambient light sensor when the screen is open (same for the sleep/on indicator). When the screen is closed, the brightness goes to maximum. You can see the behavior by putting the system to sleep with the display open - the sleep indicator will glow, but only dimly. If you close the display, it will go to full brightness (at its maximum).

I guess, to put it simply, the ambient light sensor is disabled when the display is closed. Both the battery and sleep/on indicators will go to their maximum when the display is closed. With the display open, their maximum will be dependent on the ambient light.

btw: thanks for pointing out the battery indicator's brightness! I never knew it was also controlled by the sensor. Another appreciated attention to detail by Apple. :)

3. mousouchop thread starter macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Hmm, no. I don't think that is it. I tried turning off ambient light sensing and that did not make them brighter. :/

My battery indicators on the side are only dim when the OS is up. When the system is off, the indicators are full brightness, as well as when the lid is closed. I guess I will try not to obsess over it. The indicator is at full brightness when I need it to br-- when the system is off or closed. haha.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I don't know that there's independent control over the battery/sleep indicators (as there is for the display and keyboard). Try this: shine a light on the ambient sensor (next to the camera), then push the battery indicator button. Now, take the light away and push it again - they should be dimmer. Perhaps, when the lid is closed and/or computer off, they go to an even brighter setting (which I haven't checked), but they are definitely controlled by the ambient light sensor (display open).

5. mousouchop thread starter macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Hmmm, well. After a couple of PRAM and SMC resets to remedy other things (battery was at 95% yet "Not Charging"), and turning off ambient light sensing, the indicator seems to be at full brightness at all times now.

So, I may start accepting your ambient light theory... I may not. ;D

I know on my Unibody Macbook it didn't change at all. But that was Leopard.

EDIT: Hmmm, found this http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/design.html

I never knew! My Unibody Macbook didn't dim the lights!! Oh well. haha.