Battery down 10% in 20 minutes on iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by ideal.dreams, Sep 11, 2013.

1. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I upgraded my 32GB iPhone 5 to iOS 7 last night. I was using it this morning and noticed my battery had gone down 10% in 20 minutes of usage...does that sound right? It's been in standby for an hour and a half. At this rate it won't make it til the end of the day...

2. Smwdesigns macrumors member

Try turning off Background App Refresh (go to Settings - General - Background App Refresh). That's the only thing that I can think of that would drain the battery...

3. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I turned off background app refresh, hopefully that helps. I can't restore the phone and start new so I really hope this fixes it.

4. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Why?

You can try resest all settings.

5. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Because I don't want to lose all of my app data, text messages, etc. Is there a way to retain certain items from a backup and restore it to a new copy of iOS 7?

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

If you are actually using the phone at the time, depending on what you are doing, what else the phone might be doing (in the background), what sort of cell and/or Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth (depending on what's enabled and available) signal strength there is at the time, etc., etc., etc., a 10% drop in 20 minutes of usage might not be out of scope of what's expected (for those particular 20 minutes of usage).

----------

Resetting settings isn't related to any content/data which isn't touched by a simple settings reset.

7. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I didn't use the phone for 20 minutes straight - that was the total usage time at the time I noticed the battery had come down quite a bit. I had 5 bars LTE at the time and was not on WiFi. I wasn't playing any games, just using Twitter/Facebook off and on. So 10% for such light usage does not sound right.

Is it possible to restore only certain parts of a backup? I have so much left over stuff from previous jailbreaks over the years that I'd love to start over, but I don't want to lose my text messages and app data.

I am aware of that - I would like to get rid of legacy data that I've had on the phone from previous versions of iOS and previous jailbreaks; I haven't started on a new version of iOS since like iOS 4. With iOS 7 I'd like to start fresh but still keep my texts and app data.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Don't think you can restore only parts. But, as mentioned before, simply reset settings while keeping the data and see if that helps. Data shouldn't affect settings, so at least from the point of view of figuring out the battery situation (and hopefully resolving it) that's the easiest thing to do. You can try to figure out how to clear data later on if/when needed.

9. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

I had the same issue as OP ... I charged iP5 to 100% during that process, I deleted my wifi settings then re-entered the info and Battery issue is solved...:eek:

10. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

What do you mean that you deleted your wifi settings? Did you go to Settings > General > Reset and then use the Reset Network Settings option? Or did you forget the network you were connected to and then reconnect?

11. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I've noticed a slight decrease in my battery life as well over my latest iOS 6 software.

So I'm taking it that my two things to try would be:

- Turn off background app refresh
    - Reset network settings (supper annoying when I have tons of places saved)

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

restore would fix all your problems, it is not recommend you go from an older iOS to the new one any other way.

13. justjax macrumors regular

I've had a similar drop this morning. Took it off my dock when I woke (aprox 2 hrs ago), within less than 10 mins it had dropped to 97% and I'd only check my diary, reminders and emails quickly. Showered and got the train to work (20 mins), was playing music and checked Twitter for about 10 mins and two news sites on Safari and got to work half hour ago and realised I was down to 86%, all in less than an hour and half. Been sat here for the last 30 mins and its now at 84%. Got a charger in work so its fine, will be interesting to see how it lasts.

14. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

What I did was settings > wifi > click on the network > forget the network > then re-added the network settings, I disabled background app updates also ..

15. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

What I ended up doing was backing my phone up to iCloud since it doesn't create a FULL backup. I restored my iPhone to iOS 7 again afterwards and then restored from the iCloud backup. After charging it to 100% last night, I used it for quite a bit and the battery held out much better. However this morning, I've only checked Twitter and some emails and I'm down to 94%, which isn't acceptable.

I'm getting a replacement iPhone 5 tomorrow for another reason so hopefully the issue won't carry over to the new phone.

16. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I did a fresh install of iOS 7 and my battery life seems like it's improved...usage is at 2 hours and 44 minutes, standby at 8 hours and 47 minutes and I still have 55% left. Does that seem about right?

17. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

My solution to a similar problem -

Delete ALL your email, and set them back up... also "delete" your iCloud, and sign back in.

I think some of the toggles and settings get screwed up when you restore...

18. applhipstr macrumors member

Yeah I'm not going to upgrade to the 7 right away. I know it's unfinished. I could tell from the betas.

19. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

It's not unfinished at all. It's actually really nice and I'm loving the change from iOS 6.

20. ideal.dreams, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013

ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

This is starting to piss me off.

BRAND new replacement iPhone 5 from Apple. Running iOS 7.0.2. I did a clean install to iOS 7 when I got the replacement phone and then used iExplorer to put app data back.

Usage is 26 minutes. TWENTY-SIX minutes. Standby is 2 hours. Battery percentage is at 83%. Almost 20% gone in such a short amount of time...that's a bit ridiculous.

I don't understand this - it's a brand new phone, brand new battery, fresh install of iOS 7. Either iOS 7 is actually consuming 3% every minute or someone needs to put more thought in to how the phone gets its battery information. This is unacceptable.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

What's running in it? What services are enabled? How's the signal that it's been getting over the two hours?

22. deltaray macrumors newbie

This thread made me curious. I'm not having any trouble with my iphone 5 's battery when its on standby. Mine went from 100 to 99 in 9 hours with the wifi on.

But when it comes to using my phone, its a bit different. Is it normal for you guys to have 1% drain almost every 4-5 minutes of normal surfing/facebook/feedly on wifi? I have everything off except for wifi.

23. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

It's a little excessive but not by too much. On iOS6 you could get an hour's web browsing over WiFi per 10% of battery but that's with EVERYTHING else switched off. I used to get around 8.5 hrs of solid web browsing with some emails, SMS and a phonecall or two. Under iOS7 that same usage pattern will kill my battery in less than 6 hours.

24. thekb macrumors 6502a

So it has used 17% in 26 minutes .... so 17 / 26 = 0.65% per minute? Where do you get 3% per minute?