Battery Drain - Jailbroken iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Steve Jobs., Feb 4, 2012.

1. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

Well I recently jailbroke my 4S with absinthe and it was fine for a couple days but recently there's been a huge noticeable battery drain throughout the day.Before the jailbreak, the battery was fine and I'd never experienced any trouble.

I'm running mods like IntellieScreenX, Winterboard, Infinidock, The Siri extensions, Lingual, etc So I have some heavy stuff loaded on there, and I'm afraid some of it could be linked to the battery drain.

Any tips for diagnosing the problem without uninstalling/restoring everything?

I think it could be the appExtensions for Siri......its a fairly new hack and probably running in the background all the time or something, but I can't be sure! Maybe intelliscreenx also contributes to the problem? I took off the facebook and RSS feed from the intelliscreen to see if it would help but it really doesn't make a difference....

2. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Well of course isn't intelliscreenX all tht widget and live stuff on your home screen? That's probably the first place to look and just in general think of it your phone is in overdrive :)

3. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

WOW ever since the JB my batt has been horrible...I have:

activator
    barrel
    bitesms
    five icon dock
    folder enhancer
    grid tab for safari
    ifile
    iretiner GUI
    mobile terminal
    mywi 5.0
    my wi on demand
    navigate from maps
    open ssh
    remove background
    sbsettings
    3G unrestrictor 5

I can't think of anything on that list that majorly drains battery life....it's not like I have winterboard or other resource hogs on my device. I'll lose about 20% in stand by mode in about 4 hrs

Any tips guys?

4. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

I have great battery life, but only have the following installed:
    SBSettings
    Five Icon Dock
    IntelliScreenX
    MyWi 5.0
    3GUnrestrictor
    Zephyr

Battery life is exceptional and I leave 3G and WiFi on 24/7

I would start by uninstalling any other apps and see what is causing the drain.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The jailbreak itself doesn't drain the battery. The cause of this hastened loss is all the stuff one installs via Cydia. Start removing things until your battery life returns to normal.

6. camaroIOM macrumors 6502

Battery

I just bought and jailbroke a 4s last night. My old 4 worked flawlessly with tons and tons of apps ie winterboard, Nexus one, lock info and many many more. The battery would last most of the day with no issues at all. The new 4s I noticed immediate battery drain with the exact same apps installed!! In fact now thinking about taking 4s back and putting Siri on the 4. I have also noticed the screen on the 4s being yellow and not as bright. Really a shame. With the 4s I left the house for 15 min and made two calls and check safari and ran from 100% to 90%?? Old 4G would be about 96-97% with that much usage.

7. HiDEF, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

Make sure to go into Settings>Location Services>System Services> and disable Diagnostic & Usage, Location-Based iADS. You can also disable Setting Time Zone but it's optional.

This will help w battery.

8. malias4 macrumors 6502a

malias4

have the same tweaks plus springtomise2 and infinite tweet and ifile !my batery is perfect for jbken device !

9. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I dont have bad battery life, but I did notice an improvement turning off the stock ticker in NC. I believe there are other things in IntelliscreenX to keep in mind, something about launching from the lockscreen a lot, etc. I would check into what settings you can modify in IntelliscreenX to see if that helps.

Winterboard is not a battery hog either, I'm not sure why I see that said so often:confused:.

10. Mac?Daddy macrumors member

I think it's worth noting that many of my friends running non-jailbroken devices on 5.0.1 have been complaining about the battery life on their devices since upgrading (both with iP4 and 4s). I'm running an iP4 jailbroken on 5.0.1 and haven't noticed any major difference from 5.0 non-jailbroken

11. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I got rid of openssh, mobile terminal, navigate from maps, barrel, grid tab for safari...so hoping I'll see some sort of difference.

12. philip in al macrumors regular

I heard that having "time zone setting" on was THE main culprit. In fact, my wife's iPhone 4 (no jailbreak)
    used to last well over a week or so in standby mode (she never uses it). When I updated it to 5.01,
    her battery was dead every few days.

I disabled: Settings: disable Diagnostic & Usage, Location-Based iADS and Setting Time Zone. Now she is
    back up to well over a week of standby.

The "systems" locations services are by far the worst culprits.
    Next would be any widget that consistently updates (IE: weather and stock ticker).

13. HiDEF, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012

HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

Let me begin by apologizing for resurrecting an old thread, but...

Can we confirm that JB isn't the culprit of terrible battery life?

I just got my 4S replaced and I'm skeptical of JB cause it been working flawlessly--battery has lasted me the entire day! When before, my previous phone (jailbroken) the battery life was horrendous!

I'm starting to think that perhaps just having the phone JB causes terrible battery life. Your thoughts?

14. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

It's not the JB itself that drains the battery faster, it's the tweaks/apps that people install (especially those stupid, pointless "widgets.")

15. Netherscourge macrumors 6502

I think 95% of battery drain issues relate to any app/feature on your phone that uses 3G or WIFI a lot. Specifically, apps or features that use Location Services and Push Notifications.

(Assuming you use your phone at a normal Brightness level and everything else in a normal way.)

Even on my non-JB 4S, whenever I go online to do anything, I lose battery % and it's always worse when on 3G instead of WIFI, although WIFI isn't much better to be honest.

When I go into Airplane mode, my battery stays pretty steady for hours. But then, I'm also losing the whole purpose of having the phone in the first place.

16. adm3rd macrumors newbie

adm3rd

Hi everyone, I had to join this forum just to get my 2 cents in...

I'm not going to get into the details other than I build and fix all my own computers and I'm somewhat versed in technology. That being said, I Jailbroke both my iPhone 5 & my wife's iPhone 4, both running iOS 6.1. The battery drain was terrible on both phones after the Jailbreak! I went from 30-35hrs of medium to heavy use to less than a third of that! After the Jailbreak I would take it off the charger in the morning and I would be hard pressed to get through the day without needing a charge. NovemberWhiskey is right on the money with a 5-8% drain over night! I did a lot of testing and it appears the jailbreak its self is the culprit and not any one tweak or app. I have restored both our phones back to there original state and they are both back to very acceptable battery life. As I type this my phone has been off the charger for 8hrs with average use and I'm only down to 93%!

I'm a fan of Jailbreaking but there is no doubt in my mind that Jailbreaking iOS 6.1 hits your battery hard!

17. jivupix macrumors newbie

Ha ha, gotta love how you have to say how much of a fan you are of jailbreaking BEFORE you spout off your misinformed 2 cents of TOSH all over this site!!

18. Evilmonkee42 macrumors member

I've been noticing today that my battery seems to be draining much slower than the horrible rate it has since I jailbroke.

There have been a few updates recently on Cydia and I suspect that maybe one of them may have fixed a leek, although none of the change notes, if any, seemed to indicate so.

One of them was a MobileSubstrate update, but a few others that slip my mind right now. When I have more time I'm going to look into it further and see if I can nail down which one. But that might be hard if it actually was something that got fixed and battery drain is no longer a problem.

Will just have to keep monitoring and I'm not 100% sure that it has been fully fixed based on half a day's use.

19. Jbking777 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem and I haven't installed anything, what do you suggest for me?

----------

I am also having the exact same problem and I also just joined this forum in hope of getting it all figured out, maybe we shouldn't be so harsh.

20. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

I don't think it's the JB that is causing the problem for everyone.

4S 6.1.1 Evasi0n 1.3.

Springtomize 2

Winterboard with 10 items selected and 2 weather widgets refreshing every 30 min

Flex

Nitrous

Browser Changer

Color keyboard

Bytafont

iCleaner

iBlank

iFile

BiteSms

I will have my phone charged to 100% when I go to sleep and when I wake up its still at 100%, that's 8 hours.

I just think if it WAS the jailbreak then everyone would have this problem.

There must be something more going on here.

21. Django Django macrumors newbie

If you get 8 hours of average use and only lose 7% battery then I want to know where you got your iPhone from, because that is a bunch of lies.

You got any screen shots of this super battery you own?

22. Evilmonkee42 macrumors member

Still monitoring battery and it definitely seems much improved, if not back to how it was pre-6.x. I did not change any settings anywhere, nor did I restore, rejailbreak, anything. The only changes were updates to already installed tweaks. The two that stick out over the last couple of days were MobileSubstrate and Winterboard. I couldn't find detailed release notes for either.

The answer may not be the jailbreak itself, and perhaps not any one tweak. It could possibly be a combination of tweaks that don't work well together. But again, now that it seems fixed on my phone at least, I can't really do anything to find the answer.

Here's a list of what I have installed from Cydia and it was the same before and after battery issue.

Action Menu/plus pack
    Activator
    Airplane SBSettings Toggle
    AllMail
    Apple Glass Battery(WB mod)
    Applist
    Applocker
    AppStore Update Size
    Appsync for iOS 4.x-6.x
    BatteryDetective
    Browser Changer
    Display Recorder
    Exchange Unlock
    Five-Column SpringBoard
    FolderEnhancer
    iCleaner
    Icon Renamer
    iFile
    IntelliscreenX 6
    MarkThatMessage
    MediaSpeak
    Mobile Substrate
    MobileTerminal
    MobileVolumeSound
    MultiIconMover
    MusicBanners
    My3G
    MyWi 6
    Navigate From Maps
    Octopus Keyboard
    OpenBackup
    OpenSSH
    PasswordPilot Pro
    PhotoAlbums+
    PkgBackup
    Radar U Tomtom Addon
    SBSettings
    SBSettings Toggles
    ScrollingBoard
    SpringFlash
    WeeToolbox for Notification Center
    Winterboard
    xCon

Yes that looks like a lot of stuff to have installed, but before you go saying no wonder you have such poor battery life, these are the same things I've had installed when my battery life was excellent so it's certainly not the amount of tweaks installed.

23. woodynorman macrumors 6502

X2

There is no way in hell that guy is getting 30-35 hours with medium to heavy usage either.

I was lucky to make it through the day with heavy usage before the jailbreak and its no better now.

24. Dropdeadmr macrumors newbie

Same here, I removed everything and still have this problem. I'm going to restore with iTunes tomorrow. :(

25. Dropdeadmr, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013

Dropdeadmr macrumors newbie

Verizon...

Attached Files: