Battery draining or jumping?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Earsly, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Earsly macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Just wanted to provide some information so that it may help others. I have had my phone for almost 1.5 years and the battery would drain quickly. This required the phone to be charged 1-2 times per day. Also, my battery would jump 10-20% upon charge or drain that much in an instant. I brought the phone into apple for diagnostic on 3 different occasions.

First time, they tested the battery and said everything is fine (holds 90% charge. Needs to be 80% to get a new battery). So they did a clean install. The same issues existed. Second time, they tested the battery and said everything is fine (holds 90% charge). They did an patch update since it came out the day before. They same issues existed. Third time, they tested the battery and said its fine (holds 90% charge). The genius actually said jumps are natural and he gets it sometimes as well. I said that's not normal since it didn't happen when I got the phone new.

He then got approval to replace the battery. Normally they charge since the battery is still holding it's charge which I find is BS. They normally charge $80 but I was able to get a free replacement. Since they changed the battery, my phone has been awesome. Like a brand new phone. So moral of the story is even though apple does it's "battery test" the battery can still be defective!

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

3. now i see it macrumors 68000

Yeah, we should all probably just replace the battery every two years as preventative maintenance.

Thanks for that info.