Battery dropped over 20% in a couple hours??

tsduke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
My battery literally went from low 90's to 70% in maybe 2.5 hours. I didn't use it once in that time.

tsduke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Not that I know of. I was in the app store and itunes over lunch. I just killed them, but I lost another 4% in last 20 minutes.

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
Let it drain/die and then put it on the charger until it's full.

Could be either:
- iOS 5 Battery issues (should be fixed in 5.1/5.0.2 as they're working on it).
- Battery calibration being buggy. Kill it and reacharge completely and it should recalibrate.
- Some people have reported that after iOS 5 they had this, but doing a restore as a "new" phone fixed it. Possibly something carrying over from iOS 4 being buggy in iOS 5.

tsduke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
All steps I've taken to improve battery life. I've let it drop until it shuts itself off 3 times now. The last time being 4 days ago. I've never seen it drop like this. It's still dropping.

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
I'd say restore then. Something may have become corrupt/conflicted.

Other option is remove things one by one to see if something is eating away in the background.

tsduke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I've closed everything and it's still dropping.

Restore to what?

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
Plug your phone into iTunes and choose the Restore option.

You can try to restore from a sync'd backup and see if that helps, but otherwise I'd setup a new phone to be safe just in case something is bugged.

tsduke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Plug your phone into iTunes and choose the Restore option.

You can try to restore from a sync'd backup and see if that helps, but otherwise I'd setup a new phone to be safe just in case something is bugged.
Which means I would lose all my app and folders organization?

PaulyD

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
UK
try a hard reset first before restoring. Close all apps then hold home and sleep button together until you see the apple logo

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
This has happened to me before. Battery dropped quickly, phone was warm and usage and standby times were the same. After fiddling around and restoring, these two things stopped it, turning off iCloud backup backup (if you use this, do it manually, then turn it off after it backs up). Second, Reset All Settings, not content or data, just settings. That will be almost as good as a restore, especially if you restore from backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.