Battery electricity leaking?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by htchang1987, Mar 31, 2009.

1. htchang1987 macrumors member

Just now when I was typing on my MBP while both my hands are resting on the palm rest, suddenly I felt the part near my wrists was a little numbed. Could that possibly be an electric leak by the battery? I do I check if there is any leaking in electricity due to faulty battery?

Thanks.

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

That would probably be the sharp edge of the MBP cutting off your blood supply…
    Yup. Form before Function.

;)

3. htchang1987 thread starter macrumors member

It don't really feel like cutting but it felt like some electricity shocking..
    Form before Function???

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

You have never heard the phrase:
    "Form follows function"?
    Means an object's shape/form etc is influenced by its use…

In Apple, Inc.'s case it seems to be the opposite.
    So, yes, Form before Function.

5. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

I have heard many people complain about a tingling sensation for small electric shocks when using the new unibody machines.

Was it charging?

6. htchang1987 thread starter macrumors member

Yes it was charging and yes it's some tingling sensation...
    So it could be due to electric leakage?
    Any ways to check that?

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Put your tongue on the case and see what happens.

8. htchang1987 thread starter macrumors member

Any better suggestions?:eek:

9. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

use your shoes all time :p

10. htchang1987 thread starter macrumors member

How to use a shoe to test?

11. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

if it's not plugged in with earthed cable ( the long cable, not the direct plug adaptor ) into earthed socket, then all aluminium apple laptops I've used have a tingly feel when brush against case, it's nothing to worry about, just the machine earthing though you I believe.

and as noted, it probably won't happen if wearing rubber soled shoes, due to you being non earthed too.

12. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

The logic board uses the casing to ground itself. So you'll feel some "shocks". Depending on how severe it is, its nothing that should concern you. There are multiple grounding points if you open up the lower panel. Its quite funny to touch them for no apparent reason

13. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

14. htchang1987 thread starter macrumors member

Singapore. Anything to do with which country I'm in?

15. xoggyux macrumors 6502

The macbook(uni or pro) are made out of aluminum (electric conductor) and they build electrostatic charge overtime (and they are not grounded since the power brick only have 2 contacts)
    The easiest way to avoid it is by always wearing isolating cloth, if you really want to get rid of it no matter what, then you should try get something to "ground" it, a large conductor will do (e.g. put your computer on an aluminum table, by the way the conductor have to make contact with the computer, you can also stick a piece of wire to one corner of the laptop, again making sure it does contact, and sticking the other side of the wire to a large conductor, other thing you can do, is getting one of those cool pads that are made out of aluminum and if its "heavy enough" it will work fine + it will ground it, but again I have experienced the shock as is not that bad so you can just get use to it anyway it should not damage your computer nor kill you...

16. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Yah, theres many threads about mbps shocking people outside of the US. Something to do with grounding, voltage, and Hz cycles. In US, its 120 volts, 60 hertz. It doesnt shock us grounded or not here.

17. xoggyux macrumors 6502

I am in the US and still does it. And the powerbrick does not have the third leg so there is no ground (unless apple invented a wireless ground :p)

18. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

If you use the 2 prong piece. It also helps if your grounded receptacle is actually grounded.

19. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If you use the 3-prong extension for the brick, it will be grounded. The adapter makes ground contact through the metal button the extension slides onto [on the brick].

20. htchang1987 thread starter macrumors member

Apparently I am using the 3-prong for the brick here in Singapore, it's just that I am not using the extension as the magsafe itself is long enough.

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Holding your hands in such a way that the edge is an issue is just poor posture. Slouching is the ultimate example of form before function.