Battery [goes down very quickly]

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Allana, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Allana macrumors newbie

Brand new to the Apple watch ,I must say I really love it but I find my battery goes down very quickly and I was wondering if alot of it is due to the raise your wrist for watch to come on ?

I was thinking about turning this off but was told if I do then the activity moniter wont work on my apple watch ??

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

What is quickly? My 42mm will last for an 18 hour day and have on average 35% left.

3. Allana thread starter macrumors newbie

I go about 10 hours of very limited use on a full charge and at the end of ten hours my watch battery is dead,about the only thing i do is look at time and maybe send two messages with in this ten hour period

4. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I see two options. Un-pair and pair again, this fixes battery issues like yours often. I have done this several times in the past after updates to fix issues. Option 2 is to have the watch swapped out because the battery is not lasting as long as it should.

Try pairing again first and do it early in the day if you care about tracking activity. The process could lose some of today's data. Open the Activity app prior to un-pair to make sure today's info has synced from your watch to the phone app then complete the pairing process. It will take a while to complete but does fix battery issues often.

5. chuyn macrumors 6502

I would try the reset/re-pair option or just exchange the watch. With similar usage that you describe, my 42mm can last me from Saturday morning till Sunday bedtime without dying.

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I agree with the other and first step is to unpair and repair. Can not hurt to try.

Let us know how it goes.

7. TxWatch, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015

TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

My 42mm typically lasts two days with about 10% left when I go to bed the second night. If I go on a long run with the heart rate monitor on, then I am at about 30% at the end of one day, so I charge it.

EDIT: See my comment below about the Watch using WiFi instead of BT before replacing it.

TxWatch

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

don't turn wrist raise off. Makes the watch even dumber if you have to tap the screen just to see the time.

Do what others suggested and un-pair and re-pair the watch. Something might be stuck.

9. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

Check to make sure you have BT turned on for your Watch and Phone. With Watch OS 2, I found my watch will pair with my phone over WiFi if BT is off or my phone is out of BT range. They both have to be on a WiFi network that is "known" to the phone. Check the status screen of the Watch and you will see a green cloud icon, instead of the usual green phone icon in the upper right corner.

My Watch battery drains very fast when using WiFi, so this may be part of your issue.

TxWatch

10. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

My watch usually ends up with about 75-80% battery life at the end of the day as i only use it mostly for workouts and espn mews and score tracking. Today i went to run on (60 mins) and my battery was down to 56% where as its usually at around 92%. I kept it on for another hour or so and it dropped to 32%. This is a total usage time of 3 hours according to the watch app.

Turned it off and put it on its charger. Hopefully its a glitch or something

11. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

I ran with my 42mm for 65 min yesterday and it only used 11% of my battery. I was not carrying my phone and I also turned off the heart rate monitor, as it uses a lot more battery.

From the Phone, open Watch > Workout and then, turn on Power Saving Mode

TxWatch

12. nicho macrumors 68020

if you turn off the heart rate monitor, there's little advantage to the watch? the calorie burn calculations will be inaccurate.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/#watch

OP - make sure you keep bluetooth on. consider a bluetooth heart rate monitor if you do long workouts.

13. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

There are a lot of advantages to the watch besides the heart rate monitor. Step count, play music to BT headsets, etc. The option in the workout app only turns it off for that app. It still tracks your heart rate every 10 minutes while at rest.

My workout calorie calculations with and without the HR monitor are almost exactly the same for my 1 hour runs, so I choose to save my battery.

TxWatch

14. nicho macrumors 68020

fair enough, i'm not really a runner, so i wouldn't know if the calorie burn is close enough in that instance

15. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

How many days have you had it? Its normal for it to use the battery more heavily for the first couple of days as things are getting loaded and updated. After that, if the problem persists, then the other suggestions given should be tried. If they don't work, sounds like a defective watch.

16. Allana thread starter macrumors newbie

unpaired and repaired now much better..thanks

17. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I've had no trouble with battery life myself until today. Typically it has nearly 50% left at the end of a day when I wore it from 8 am through midnight.

But today Put it on about 7:30 AM and used it normally. I did get a lot of emails today but dealt with them all on other devices. This evening I took our dog for a walk and set the workout app to record it. By the time I got home the watch was dead. Not even inreserve mode. I was very surprised.

18. nicho macrumors 68020

how long was your walk?

19. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

About 4.5 km.

Today only down to 85% so far in about 5 hours?

20. nicho macrumors 68020

4.5km, that'd take what just over an hour or so?

that's not *that* much, although obviously still a drain on the battery. Perhaps an app got stuck open?

21. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Just under an hour. Energetic dog towing me. Lol. Never found out what caused it. Seems normal again.

22. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

I had my battery go down very quickly the other day for the first time. One of the differences was I charged it the previous night "only" until it reached 100%. (I was syncing music from my Phone and I took it off as soon as it was at 100) I normally leave it on the charger all night and take it off in the morning.

Could the length of charging time be related? Is the battery percent indicator accurate when it initially reads 100%?

It might have been something else, but that was the first time I did a "short" charge and the first time it was at 10% by 8:00 pm the next night. After charging it all night last night, the battery is going down at its normal rate today.

TxWatch
    Watch OS 2.0.1

23. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Today down to 16% now. Been on me since 7:30 but I did also use it for a round of golf today. It should make it until bed time at least.

24. nicho macrumors 68020

Length of charge is not relevant, but the fact you took it off the charger is ;) You took it off the charger, what, at least 8 hours earlier than usual? did you wear it overnight or leave it on the side; either way it will use battery.

Did you use the workout app or any other? Or just wore it while golfing?

25. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

I understand about the additional 8 hours of idle time. The Watch sat on my desk right next to my phone all night. I have had it last two full days several times in the past so it drained faster than I have seen previously.

TxWatch