Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Defie22

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2015
I have an iPhone 11 with 78% of battery health. IOS 15.4 is recommending the change of the battery. I don't feel it that way. When is the right time to replace the battery?

Is there anyone below my 78%? :)

Reactions: FJB

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
The general guideline seems to be 80%, this is the level above which Apple won't replace a battery under Apple Care for example.

You don't say if you are experiencing performance issues or if you feel that your iPhone is requiring charging more frequently than in the past. Does it still hold a charge sufficiently for your usage? If so then you shouldn't feel under pressure to do anything.

Apple will replace the battery in your phone for $69 which is very reasonable. You can make an appointment to have the work done at an Apple Store and they'll do it the same day. It's worth doing at any point when you get below 80%, bu again the urgency would depend on the impact to your use.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Get a new battery whenever you want. The alert is only a suggestion for you to give money to .
Where you’ll likely notice the degradation of the battery is when the phone is really cold in the winter.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Apple will not entertain a battery change request if the life is at or above 80% even if you offer to pay for it. You will be turned away from the store.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Apple will not entertain a battery change request if the life is at or above 80% even if you offer to pay for it. You will be turned away from the store.
Apple changed this policy after a lawsuit some time back.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Apple changed this policy after a lawsuit some time back.
So what is current status of this? Apple will replace battery every time on demand or there are still rules about its wear level?

FJB

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
I have an iPhone 11 with 78% of battery health. IOS 15.4 is recommending the change of the battery. I don't feel it that way. When is the right time to replace the battery?

same 78% on my 11 here

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I kept my iPhone 7 Plus until upgrading to a 13 Mini, the battery health was at 70%. Obviously it didn't hold a charge as long as it used to so that and it being on the edge of not being able to run the newest iOS, I felt it was time for a phone upgrade. I probably could have replaced the battery (myself or at Apple), but never got around to it.

FJB

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011

My iPhone 11 dropped to 77% about a week ago. It would barely make it through the day, and that's charging it when I was in short trips in my car. BTW, cycles were about 775.

Last weekend I had Apple install a new battery ($70 plus tax), and a fully charged phone will now last me two days without any additional charging. Personally I like to get 5-6 years minimum out of my phone, so the $70 price tag was "cheap insurance" ... in my situation.

Also Defie, I updated to IOS 15.6 before taking the phone in for service. No problems so far. Best of luck

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
This is inaccurate. I've paid to have batteries changed when the life is above 80%. They strongly suggest it isn't needed but if you insist, they will do it.

Reactions: arkitect

vanzantapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2010
USA
Just looked at my Mom's 6S and it's at 74 percent and it runs perfectly fine.

My SE 1st gen is on 85, it does nothing but sit on my nightstand, its a backup phone. Its fine except for Apple constantly asking/DEMANDING my password every time I walk into the room. MAD FACE

Reactions: arkitect

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I have a 6S that I use as an "iPod" — useful for the beach and gardening.

Currently at 77%… Been running since December 2015.

It lasts a day for my usage. But if I used it as my primary phone it'd certainly not be up to scratch and I'd pay the £49 (I think?) to replace the battery.

IMG_0110.PNG

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
This is inaccurate. I've paid to have batteries changed when the life is above 80%. They strongly suggest it isn't needed but if you insist, they will do it.
For some devices, like Apple Watch, they will generally refuse. Reason is that they don't actually replace the battery in an Apple Watch, they just give you a whole new watch. Similarly for AirPods.
So people abused the battery replacement program by getting a new watch for $79 if they scratched it, for example.
Unsurprisingly, it is very difficult/rare to have a battery health on an Apple Watch below the magic 80%.

Reactions: HandsomeDanNZ

LacrosseChic

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2022
I also am wondering about this...my daughters SE (2020) is at 93% battery health and is about 1,5 years old. Nonetheless she is already getting the service message on battery, telling her that her battery is severely degraded...
I have read that this has happened to other SE (2020)´s at about the 1,5 year mark.
So if the phone is telling her she needs a new battery, even if it is above 80 - would it be covered by AppleCare?

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
For some devices, like Apple Watch, they will generally refuse. Reason is that they don't actually replace the battery in an Apple Watch, they just give you a whole new watch. Similarly for AirPods.
So people abused the battery replacement program by getting a new watch for $79 if they scratched it, for example.
Unsurprisingly, it is very difficult/rare to have a battery health on an Apple Watch below the magic 80%.

This is accurate. I asked about having my launch day Series 5 watch battery replaced after 2 years when it had hit 82%. They said it needed to be under 80%, and I had it done in May of this year at 78% no questions asked. I also have had 2 iPhone battery replacements done at 81% and 83% with no issues.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
I also am wondering about this...my daughters SE (2020) is at 93% battery health and is about 1,5 years old. Nonetheless she is already getting the service message on battery, telling her that her battery is severely degraded...
I have read that this has happened to other SE (2020)´s at about the 1,5 year mark.
So if the phone is telling her she needs a new battery, even if it is above 80 - would it be covered by AppleCare?

My understanding is that it should be covered under AppleCare no matter the degradation level if the phone is giving you the service message. You can start a chat from the Support app and find out without having to take the phone in.

• Love
Reactions: LacrosseChic

LacrosseChic

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2022
My understanding is that it should be covered under AppleCare no matter the degradation level if the phone is giving you the service message. You can start a chat from the Support app and find out without having to take the phone in.
Thank you! I will do that!

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
11 Pro Max at 82%. I’ll likely have the battery replaced after the 14PM arrives and keep it as a backup.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
This is not true. My battery health said 85% but I couldn’t get through the day without having to recharge. I made an appointment at Apple just this past Monday. The tech tried to convince me that my battery was fine and it wouldn’t covered under Apple Care. I told him I knew that and would pay for it. They changed the battery for $69 but damaged the phone in the process so I ended up with a brand new phone for the price of a battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.