Battery Issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bean1031, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Bean1031 macrumors newbie

I got a macbook pro (first time mac owner) a few weeks ago. After calibrating the battery and uploading coconut battery and battery health monitor, both said that my macbook's current battery capacity was 97%. I contacted mac support to see if this was normal. The lady I talked to recommended that i should return it before Best Buys return policy ran out just to be on the safe side. I followed her advice and got a new macbook pro several days ago. I just finished calibrating the battery and this time it says my battery capacity is at 96% of its original capacity. Im starting to wonder if this is normal, that possibly mac just makes crappy computers that start out bad. Should I return it and go back to PC? Is this normal and I shouldn't worry about it? Should I return it for another mac because I just happened to have bad luck twice? I have read a few threads on here about battery health and several people have posted their health percent being at 100% even after months and hundreds of cycles, and sometimes years. This is the exact statistics from the Battery Health Monitor App. Original Capacity: 100% (5,770 mAh). Current capacity: 96% (5,566mAh). Current charge: 100% (5,560mAh). Charge Cycles 0% (1).

2. ECUpirate44, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011

ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

This should answer most if not all of your battery questions. Apple Notebook Battery FAQ.

Your battery is fine. Coconut battery and iStat should be taken with a grain of salt. The first mbp that you returned was perfectly fine. Battery health will fluctuate. My health was at 92% when I had 47 cycles. Now it's at 99% and I have 79 cycles.

Apple computers rank at the top in the industry. I've learned to just use the computer and not worry about the statistics except for CPU temp.

3. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

4. mmduluth macrumors regular

This made me LOL!:D:D:D

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

lol GGJstudios was slow on the draw so I figured id help him out.

6. Bean1031 thread starter macrumors newbie

One question thats not on the link. What should your battery capacity be when you buy it if not 100 percent?

7. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

It doesn't matter if its not 100% when you first buy it. I'd say anywhere between 95-100 is perfectly acceptable. That number does not represent your actual battery health, it is just an estimate. Coconut battery also reports that my mbp is using 652 watts of power sometimes so it's not the most accurate app in the world. As long as your getting the expected 4-6 hours or better off the battery, you have noting to worry about!

8. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Aren't you suppose to say that GCJStudios will be posting the battery forum any minute now? lol

9. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I did at first haha. But after 20 min I figured the op would want his answer. GGJStudios was too slow on this one. First time in macrumors history.

10. emmalou99 macrumors newbie

I've nearly had enough...

I got my MBP in August 2010, up till a couple weeks ago it all worked fine!!

2 weeks ago my MBP just turned itself off all of a sudden. The green light on the charger was faded and nothing was happening. I took it to the genius bar and the guy I saw pressed shift, control, cmd and the power button, let go of the power button, held the other 3 for 5 seconds and waaaalaa! it worked! I have no idea what this did but it worked. So...at home that night, my MBP was on for 10 minutes until it went dead again. I pressed these buttons like the genius told me and it worked. An hour later....it did it again and this time wouldn't respond to anything and there was no light on the charger.
    Back to the genius bar.
    The genius couldn't get it to work so they replaced the logic board and battery (under warranty luckily!!!)
    Everything worked fine until 6 days later.
    My MBP is now not charging. When I click on the battery icon it says "battery is not charging" and the green light on the charger is again faded. I have turned it off and pressed the buttons mentioned about but nothing is happening.
    Coconut battery says:
    current charge: 318
    max charge: 5551
    load cycles: 4
    temp: 30.4
    battery power usage: 0.0 watt

Can anyone help?! :(

11. Bean1031 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I have a 14 day return policy to best buy, so what should I look out for battery wise to ensure I haven't gotten a bad one. Im paranoid that Im going to have a bad battery and be stuck with it because Mac won't back up that part of their product.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

See? That wasn't so hard! The OP gets the info without having to wait for me! Thanks!
    LOL! It was a fine effort! Give the guy a break! :D
    Me, too!
    And I appreciate it!
    I'd rather have others post it than wait for me!
    A guy's gotta sleep sometime!

13. Politis macrumors regular

My Battery Monitor and Coconut say I have done 20 Charge cycles (5% of the total)! I have had my MBP for a few weeks only and never took it out. I calculate I must have gone through 10 cycles max, and probably less!

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not very often that someone gets a defective battery. If yours turns out to be defective, you're not limited by the 14-day return window. Read the first part of the link that ECUpirate44 posted to learn about batteries and warranty.
    Read the FAQ that ECUpirate44 posted, especially the section "WHAT IS A CYCLE?". It's also not unusual to get a new battery that has already been cycled. It's not a problem. Just make sure you calibrate it.

15. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I added the hyperlink in the first post lol.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Someone take a picture! :D

17. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I got ya back when your sleeping GGJstudios lol

18. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Two thumbs up!