Battery life after 1.0.1 update?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rob.rees@mac.co, May 22, 2015.

1. rob.rees@mac.co macrumors newbie

My girlfriend has a 38mm Watch. I updated it to 1.0.1 as soon as the update was available and everything seemed OK. However, the following day her battery life had dramatically shortened. Before the update her battery life had never dipped below 35%, for a typical day from 6.15am until 10pm. The day before yesterday, after the update, she got a low battery warning at about 7.30pm when the battery level dipped to 10%. Today the phone has gone into power reserve mode, at around 6.30pm. Not sure if the OS update is responsible for the sudden change in battery performance, or whether it is a coincidence.

I have a 42mm Watch which I updated to 1.0.1 at the same time but my battery life has not changed, and is still great (never dropped below 40%).

2. spittingllama macrumors member

No problems here 42mm Stainless steel. been wearing and using all day and just hit 60% battery remaining.

3. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

My sister has a 38mm Silver Sport & her battery life has also lessened after the update. The rest of our family have 42mm & none of us has experienced that.

4. Danny80y macrumors member

5. flur macrumors 68000

Mine also seems to be less. The first day after I had a number of issues and wound up restarting my watch a number of times, so I expected it to be low. But yesterday was a regular day, and my watch ended the day with about 10% less battery than usual (29% v 40-ish%). As it wasn't a very intense day of use, I'm a bit concerned.

6. techguy9 macrumors regular

techguy9

Seems like a battery life issue is brewing for 38mm owners. I have a 42mm and battery life is the same as always.

7. sxc macrumors member

Is it because the wrist activation is now more sensitive and the screen turns on more?

8. Crazy Matt macrumors 6502

Crazy Matt

I knew there was a good reason I haven't done the update on my 38 yet! :)

9. cjking2007 macrumors newbie

cjking2007

I did the update on my 38 and my battery life has gone down also.

10. flur macrumors 68000

It seems unlikely, or the 42s would be seeing the issue also.

FWIW, I know some people have noticed a difference in the wrist activation, but mine doesn't seem to activate more often (it was quite sensitive to begin with), and I'm seeing the battery hit.

11. Shawnlock macrumors newbie

Have to say , yes, battery life seems diminished. Updated We'd 5/20. Didn't notice any change except for the HR function until today. I did a typical workout with watch in exercise mode and was down to 10% by 4:30 pm. Normally I use the ex mode 4-5 times a week and don't get down below 30%. 38 btw..

12. Kahalu'u Bob macrumors 6502a

Kahalu'u Bob

I've got a 38 mm and notice no difference in battery life after the upgrade.

13. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

My upgraded 42mm went into low power mode at 5pm today. Had always been able to get through the day with 35% typically left.

14. fanta88 macrumors 6502

Hmmm, interesting. I have a 38 and I've noticed a drop-off in battery life too.

15. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I have a 38 mm and have also noticed a reduction in battery life since the update.

16. Alith macrumors 6502

42 and my battery life is shorter since the update.

17. mario-64 macrumors regular

Same for my 38 :(

18. ChinaRye macrumors 6502

ChinaRye

I only have had my watch a few days before the update, but mine feels the same with no difference in battery life.

19. Smurphy Gherkin macrumors regular

42 here, and battery is great, sorry you are having problems, might be worth rebooting iPhone and watch every few days.

I can charge to 100% then sleep with it on, and get to 8:30pm with about 30% left the next night.

20. vahan macrumors newbie

42mm here. The first day with 1.0.1 seemed to drain a little faster then usual. I also noticed that

1) Astronomy watch face was updated and has less clouds now;

2) overall the AW display is brighter then and this may be why the drain;

3) not sure if me, things seem a bit smoother. And if they cranked up CPU usage, this might be another drain factor.

4) HR tracking was an inconsistent disaster today but that might be due to a new band I got.

Just random thoughts. Will power cycle and give it a few days to a week and re-asses.

21. trek360 macrumors 6502

Didn't notice much difference with anything after the update.

22. aloecool macrumors regular

38mm here and mine also went down. The day after the update, when I took it off the charge in the morning (overnight charge), it maxed out at 98%. And the battery drained very quickly throughout the day. Today was my 2nd day after the update, and it's been "normal" but still slightly reduced vs before the update

23. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Can't feel any difference before and after the upgrade on both 38mm SS which belongs to my wife and daughter.

Anyway, if that happen, the very first thing to try is to completely switch off the watch AND the phone. Then switch them on again. Just in case there is a software stuck in a loop that drain the battery.

24. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Mines is a 42mm and I'm long since past checking my battery but I've no problem getting through a day with mine. That's usually from about 5:30 am until I go to bed sometime between 11:30pm and 1:00am.
    It's only gone into power reserve once and that was before the update. It's not as if I go easy on the watch either, aside from all of the use it gets from my personal life it gets used for testing my apps every day as well.

25. ghettochild macrumors regular

42mm. Battery life has noticeably diminished since the update.