Battery life after jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Yass-Attack, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Yass-Attack macrumors member

It's literally dying 1.5-2 times faster than it was before the jail break. My iPhone lost about 7% in 4 hours of standby time while i was in phone, absolutely no phone activity whatsoever. Before the jailbreak it would only lose 1% at the most. It dies by about 10% in like 30 mins when i'm just texting and not doing anything else Any advice on this guys? Or is this normal behaviour...

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You have downloaded something then that does this. My iPhone 4 is jailbroken and shows no kind of similar behavior as yours. In fact, mine has a quite longer battery life as I am now in full control (thank God Terminal)

3. Pogue Mahone macrumors newbie

Ditto

4. Yass-Attack thread starter macrumors member

Honestly I haven't even added a whole lot, just a bunch of themes (3 or 4), a weather icon in my upper dock, the lockinfo 3.0 and apart from that the rest is probably the same. I think i messed up my lockscreen and winterboard settings but even that, it can't make that huge of a difference.

It's down to like 79% from a 100% in like 80 minutes of texting only! i'm going to need to go through everything i guess and figure it out asap.

5. Yass-Attack thread starter macrumors member

Just jumped down to 74% in like what, 5 mins? lol. Any idea what it could be guys? All i have it a few themes and the lockinfo 3.0, no games or anything really. its annoying

6. Atothendrew24 macrumors member

It's lockinfo

7. jplusc macrumors 6502a

How often to you have weathericon refreshing? I believe the default is every minute. that can chew through some battery.

8. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

my battery life definitely is worse since jb'ing; seems to drop steadily when not in use.

i tried the 'mobile substrate' trick, but nothing changed.

whatever's causing it, it's not enough to make me give up my customizations, bitesms, etc. but i now carry a battery charger around in case (altho i can usually get thru a whole day on my phone).

wish there was a fix (that worked, or at least worked for me...)

9. Yass-Attack thread starter macrumors member

is there any way to keep it without the batter dying so fast?

Honestly i don't even know how to access it's settings, i'm removing it right now lol.

10. Yass-Attack thread starter macrumors member

Btw what is openSSH? Apparently that kills the batter a lot? Do i need it or should i just delete it...

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

Tons of threads talking about battery issues! jailbroken and not! I would guess there is a good answer in one of them! ;)

12. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

lots of theories, little fact.

i don't have lockinfo (for example), and i disabled weather info.
    tried various things, (no custom lockscreen, etc) but...so it goes.

13. brendu macrumors 68020

thats odd... I just got an iPhone 4 and jailbroke it immediately and im stoked about how great the battery life has been. I have been using it all day for texting, emailing, some web browsing and about an hour of playing cut the rope and im at 55%. Thats damn good for a smartphone. I doubt its lock info causing the problems, ive got that running too.

14. Yass-Attack thread starter macrumors member

Hmm that is odd, I have less things downloaded and also less things running and mines still dying faster. Did you turn anything in particular off in your settings?

15. lshirase macrumors regular

I use lockinfo and i am NOT experiencing worse battery life. I get around 7 to 8 hours of solid use on a single charge. very satisfied.

16. Yass-Attack thread starter macrumors member

Does openSSH have any effect? I'm thinking i'm just going to restore my iPhone to the original custom jailbroken firmware and slowly redownload everything i have right now to figure out what killed my batter so darn fast.

17. labman macrumors 604

labman

just a thought shouldn't you know what a App is and does before you download and install it? (also what firmware it supports!. imo Openssh does not effect battery life IMO. unless you leave it running and you should also change the password! ;)

http://cydia.saurik.com/openssh.html

18. rudy44 macrumors member

im certain there is some background app causing this. try turning off push and all your other apps for the night but leaving 3g on. reset your data usage and check it in the morning.

the temporary fix that's been found would be to remove a certain .plist file. but it completely disables push and messes up facetime.

19. Yass-Attack thread starter macrumors member

That's what i thought, i restored my iphone with the custom firmware but didn't download a single thing yet. 10% in 90 minutes. Better than the 5% in 5 mins i had going on earlier, but its still not that good.

In those 90 minutes i listened to music for 20 minutes, texted on and off for the full 90 mins (50 texts), and browsed the internet to check the nhl score (3 mins max). All this resulted in a 10% loss. i'll follow your advice though and make sure to turn everything off. for the night. It died by 7% last night on standby with absolutely no activity so hopefully its better tonight.

20. Yass-Attack thread starter macrumors member

11% used: 1h13 usage and 8h34 on stand by

21. sic2five macrumors member

50 texts in 1.5 hours sounds like a lot. Is this all on wifi or 3g? sounds like typical battery life to me. I was reluctant to jailbreak fearing the exact issues you're describing but luckily my battery life is the same as before the JB. What did you use to JB with?

22. Yass-Attack thread starter macrumors member

Down 4% in nearly 30 minutes since i turned SlantedLock on...so i think the lockscreen might be the problem after all. Usage shows up as a dash too.

23. sic2five macrumors member

That looks normal

24. Yass-Attack thread starter macrumors member

Pwnage tool and wifi is never on, i only use 3G.

25. Yass-Attack thread starter macrumors member

Yah i agree, it's the 4% in 30 mins that i'm worried about. all i did was turn on lockscreen.