Battery Life Better after 2.2 update

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jfong425, Nov 25, 2008.

1. jfong425 macrumors member

Is it just me or is the battery life better after the 2.2 update? I can usually last a day and a half. I'm at 2 days now and still going. Give me some of your results.

2. tiptopp macrumors regular

tiptopp

I have varied battery life, but I certainly felt that I got more yesterday than usual - I usually have to charge at work to be sure of getting home with power left, but didn't, and still managed to use Maps to get around a horrible traffic jam in the evening.

Tiptopp

3. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Did you 'Restore' update or just soft update? Maybe a setting was reset? The battery problems are definitely fixed on my end. Can't tell between 2.1 and 2.2 though.

Attached Files:

4. hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

Yeah I think that my usage has definitely improved compared to 2.1

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I've had noticably better battery life with 2.2 on a first gen iPhone. No "scientific" results, but it's still near full at the end of the day, or still at half even with heavy use. A nice surprise.

6. arubinst macrumors 6502

Hummm... something seems to be wrong in this forum...

Attached Files:

7. spyz88 macrumors regular

Can you tell me your exact settings that you get that much usage? Are you always on EDGE or do you use 3G also? How about WiFi, bluetooth, and location services?

Thanks...

8. svndmvn Guest

Battery life definitely better on mine since 2.2, anyone noticed the brightness is different now? I have to keep mine higher now and still get a better lasting battery.
    But I have noticed two bugs, or lags..got one using ebuddy in safari, after a bit no more key magnification while touching..another one is kind of a choppy scrolling in Photos even though I have just 40 of em.

9. icewing macrumors 6502

OP, try restarting your phone and see if the battery level drops significantly. Easiest way to compare is do a screenshot before & after reboot, then swipe back and forth between them.

10. lukin78 macrumors newbie

I'd would say that actually the 2.2 has impoved my battery life.

11. jmdeegan macrumors member

yup. my brightness def. went way down i guess thats one way to fix it. i dont mind it actually, got used to it so i left it.

12. vega07 macrumors 65816

2.2 has definitely improved my battery life...

but I don't know how. I don't think apple added anything to the 2.2 firmware to increase battery life, since it wasn't listed as one of the features.

13. jfong425 thread starter macrumors member

better battery life

I was able to get 2 days 10 hours out of my battery before it went to 20% battery warning. I am definitely happier with the battery life now.

14. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I think it is more to do with the iPhone 3G than the forum.

I have never seen a piece of electronic equipment get such stark reviews and props/complaints.

Ever.

15. ogdogg macrumors 6502

I'm on my phone constanly using 3g all day and it used to die occasionally before 2.2. Now it seems like I'm at about 20% at the end of every day. Maybe they adjusted the 3g settings a bit. I also get gps in the lower story of my house now. I did a complete wipe when I upgraded though and hadn't ever done that before, so that probably helps too. My only gripe is that safari still runs like crap and no video recording.

16. jarofclay73 macrumors regular

jarofclay73

My battery life was pretty good before 2.2. Since 2.2, I haven't noticed anything measurably better. But, a lot of people seem to have better battery life now.

17. ShepUK macrumors member

The other possibility is that they broke the battery level meter on this release ;)

...but yes, my battery meter seems to be dropping a lot more slowly since installing 2.2 ... be interesting to see if that still happens after a full calibration drain/recharge.

18. spacedout17 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

After updating to 2.2 my battery is so much better. Don't know what they did but it's amazing how much more life I get out of my phone. I now keep Wifi on all the time.

19. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

I got my iPhone 2 days ago and I would like to know what is the reasonable battery life after full charge...

20. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Reasonable battery life?

There is no way to answer that.

It depends on how much you use it and what you have turned on and off.

But I am NOT a power user, and I have EVERYTHING turned on except for Push.

And I can go 3 days on one charge. (Not turned on straight, but turned off while I sleep.)

21. dranakin macrumors 6502

All I know is that I can barely last a workday on 2.1. I'll see how it is after 2.2.

22. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

WOW... I think mine came damage.. I don't think it will last another day if I don't charge it.

How can I check if the battery is good and didn't came damage?

23. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I doubt it is damaged.

When mine was two days old, I was charging it every day too because I was playing with it a lot more than I do now.

24. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I just got mine and all its ever had is 2.2 and the battery life is awful compared to the AT&T Tilt it replaced (and the Tilt was much worse than the Blackberry it replaced). I have to turn off 3G, WiFi, and bluetooth to make it through a full day (turning on bluetooth every time I make a call).

I use this phone all day everyday as my primary work phone so perhaps I am on the phone more than the average user. I really like the phone. The voice quality is great and my e-mail and Internet are much easier to read and of course I don't get the crashes I did on my Windows Mobile device.

I just wish there was an easy way to have all those extra things turn off when not in use. I'd love to see bluetooth activate when a call starts coming in and 3G activate only when I am surfing. Some automated power management would go a long way to making this an outstanding business device. Give me MS office mobile and more battery life and I could leave my MBP at home on some out-of-town client meetings.

As it is, I have 2 of the small chargers and a car charger. Also, is it just me or do you find it annoying that the MBP doesn't charge the iPhone if all the features are turned on? I have to use the little brick or it will slowing discharge when connected to the Mac.

Cheers,

25. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Panzer, powertalkers are one of the few legitimate battery draining groups I have noticed that really do have a good beef with this phone.

The sad thing is that since the iphone can do so much more (or so much better) then other phones, the battery life does go down because of it for people that talks hours a day.

First, kick your brightness in half, and see if that makes a good difference, I believe it will,

second, look into something like this:

http://goincase.com/products/detail/EC20003

It seems you are the perfect market for this.
    :eek: