Battery Life Breakdown

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by sterl320, Apr 5, 2015.

1. sterl320, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015

sterl320 macrumors 6502

So I've seen a ton of people on here claim that the battery life on the :apple:Watch is too short. That it will be embarrassing if the Watch died on them.

My question is: What do you plan on doing with the :apple:Watch that would drain the battery before the day is up?

Since the Watch isn't out & no one has been able to post any full reviews on it, we can only go by the information that Apple has provided.

So for example, The watch will last up to 6.5 hours using any workout specific software. NO ONE works out for 6 hours straight, & if you do, you are definitely doing it wrong.

The watch will last up to 6.5 hours playing music. You can't even put 6.5 hours worth of different songs on the :apple:Watch, but you can on your iPhone, which you would most likely have on you anyway.

& the feature that I think has been extremely overlooked is Power Reserve, which the Watch will automatically switch to if the battery should ever get too low, & will keep the Watch on for an additional 72 hours so you can still use the Watch as a Watch, meaning it can still be used as a timepiece.

You have an issue with charging it every night? Why exactly? What will you be doing while you're sleeping that you must have your watch on your wrist?

I'm just looking for a rational reason why the 18 hours worth of general use is not enough.

Here's the link for the Battery info.
    https://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html

2. dylman macrumors regular

dylman

I think power reserve mode lasts for 72 hours from fully charged, to be honest.

3. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Apple clearly states that when the battery runs low, power reserve mode works for 72 hours.

https://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html

4. sterl320 thread starter macrumors 6502

That doesn't make sense. Power Reserve only starts after the battery life is low, & the paragraph says it gives an additional 72 hours of battery.

5. dylman macrumors regular

dylman

They don't clearly state that at all. The page linked above says up to 72 hours.

Edit: you can choose to put the phone in power reserve mode as well.

6. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Alarm

----------

"If your battery gets too low, Apple Watch automatically switches into Power Reserve mode so you can continue to see the time for up to 72 hours."

Is that really unclear?

7. sterl320 thread starter macrumors 6502

8. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

It will vibrate on your wrist. I'll recharge the battery before I go to bed and put the watch on when I sleep.

9. sterl320 thread starter macrumors 6502

Where was it stated that power reserve can be manually switched on the Watch?

----------

10. dylman macrumors regular

dylman

I believe the statement is open to interpretation that's all. I also think if the last 10% (or whatever) of the battery lasts up to 72 hours in power reserve mode, then Apple would have mentioned that the watch lasts 720 hours (or whatever) in power reserve mode on a full battery.

Anyway, I hope you're right, an additional 3 days usage after using it normally for a day would occasionally be a lifesaver.

11. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

It isn't a must have, but this person obviously wants it and has a reason too (perhaps s/he doesn't want to wake up others around them).

The watch isn't a must have full stop, so this is an entirely legitimate concern of battery life.

12. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

my problem with this watch is not only the battery life... but also charging time.

2 and half hours full is RIDICULOUS for a watch. I was hoping for 20 minutes to 80%. So I can put it off when I get ready for work. I kinda want to have a sleep tracker

13. dylman macrumors regular

dylman

14. sterl320 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think it will be cool to be able to manually put the watch in power reserve mode. I've always been a fan of more & more options, even if they aren't options I see any use for. I see use in this one though.

----------

Do you bring your phone with you to work?

15. Tim7 macrumors 6502

Tim7

I see it says charges up in about 3 hours. Will it damage the battery if I leave it on charge all night whilst asleep? Around 8 hours every night...

16. sam2428 macrumors 6502

After reading the battery stats page, I would agree with the above. I think its 72 hrs from a full charge, not from the time it goes into reserve.

The general battery information page shows various tests that Apple conducted to show how long the battery life lasted in different scenarios. If you read the battery reserve "test" it says they checked the time 4 times per hour and it lasted 72 hrs. Granted, there is some ambiguity and it could go either way....but reading the entire page leads me to believe that they ran that test from a full charge (like they did with all the other tests).

17. Phillybizzle macrumors regular

I've also definitely read that you can switch on power reserve mode manually.

18. sam2428 macrumors 6502

This is a capability I am hoping for....and actually some type of sleep monitoring that would wake you depending on the sleep cycle you are in (i.e. wake you at the best time so you are not groggy in the morning).

My plan is to do a full charge before I sleep (2.5 hrs needed) and then wear it all night as long as it does not feel too bulky, etc. I'll keep a second charger in my work bag, just like I do for my iPhone, and do a quick 80% charge sometime during the day while I am at my desk on a conference call / meeting, etc.

As long as I can get through the day and the gym after work I am happy. I take my watches off when I get home from the gym and jump into the shower anyway. By the time I shower, eat dinner, and get ready for bed...the watch should be charged to 100%.

19. Mr.C macrumors 601

As I wear my watch at night whilst asleep as well as during the day it looks like I will have to charge it twice a day, once in the morning before going to work and once at night before going to sleep. I don't really have an option to charge it at work as its not practical from a security point of view due to the office environment I work in which is basically open plan and no extra power sockets at my desk that I can use.

20. gcooldude86 macrumors 6502

I don't see myself have any battery issues. I work all day so the most I'll be doing is checking the time periodically throughout the day. Might get more use in the evenings and weekends. I don't see myself having any issues and anyways I plan to have a charger at home and at work so if the battery drains at work I can always charge it at lunch.

21. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

I will buy an extra puck and charge it while sat at my desk at work. save me having to do it at night.

As long as one full recharge will be enough per day.

22. hemolyzer macrumors member

This is why when I get my Watch I'll start charging with an alarm for 3 hours later so I can unplug it and go back to sleep.

23. thekeyring macrumors 68040

I think its a convenience thing. Once people get into the habit of taking it off, snapping the charger into place and going to sleep, they'll be fine.

With traditional watches, falling asleep with your watch on isn't an issue, or something you even think about.

24. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

I think people are getting paranoid about battery usage. I am sure that Apple have done enough testing over the last couple of years to be satisfied that batteries will stand up to constant charging.
    If people are worried about battery drainage during the day then get one of those lipstick sized usb battery chargers. They supply enough charge to completely recharge a dead iPhone one and a half times.

25. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

But what about working out and playing music at the same time? Don't get me wrong, I'm buying this Watch so fast, and I have very few concerns about battery life, but if I thought anything I did would be the cause of battery drain, it would be the workouts + music combo.

I didn't know it was an additional 72 hours, and that's awesome.

As others have stated, an alarm. I do kind of wish I could have the silent alarm for waking me up. That said, I'll survive. I may try wearing it in my sleep some just to see if it would even be comfortable.

For me, it definitely should be. Obviously, I won't know for sure until I'm wearing it though.

----------

Don't do that.

No.