Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lehis

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2016
Finland
Ok, thank you for the quick reply. My design capacity is the same. Could we please get more results to confirm that around 4800-4900 mAh full charge and 4790 design capacity are what you get with 13 non TB model?

fokmik

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
USA
battery between el captain and Sierra has 2 hours difference
tested on late 2013 Mbp
[doublepost=1479474616][/doublepost]so i guess, like with iOS10, the new OS has an impact to the battery usage

Reactions: frank33v

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
I have a 15 and a 13..I don't think I will use the 15 again after tonight (it's going back), I like the 13. The 15 definitely uses more battery and goes through it quicker. This 13 has lasted all evening with some left. Not sure why they are so different I can only surmise what I think may be going on. I have only been web surfing and some light video watching. I did turn the key back light off but that wasn't until I realized I could about an hour ago. Not sure what little that will do, but what the heck.

For sure there is a difference between these two machines I am testing. The 15 is going back, mainly because it's too large and heavy for my taste. I LOVE the form factor of the 13, I even type quieter on it for some reason. Just a better fit and better battery life too. Both are touch bar models btw.

So strange. I completed my third battery cycle last night and got 6:27, almost exactly what Battery Health 2 and Apple's own energy panel predicted. On my previous two battery cycles I got around the same.

I installed Battery Logger for this cycle. So far I'm on track for 6-7 hours according to the estimates. 60% brightness, and just web browsing, email, Slack, with maybe one hour of watching YouTube or Netflix per battery cycle.

I think it's pretty clear that my particular 13" tMBP, as well as several others out there, gets only 6.5 hours of battery. I do not understand why some other people are getting 10 hours. Makes no sense to me unless there are defective units. I guess I should return this and try another before deciding to move to a 13" non-TB or the 15".

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
So strange. I completed my third battery cycle last night and got 6:27, almost exactly what Battery Health 2 and Apple's own energy panel predicted. On my previous two battery cycles I got around the same.

I installed Battery Logger for this cycle. So far I'm on track for 6-7 hours according to the estimates. 60% brightness, and just web browsing, email, Slack, with maybe one hour of watching YouTube or Netflix per battery cycle.

I think it's pretty clear that my particular 13" tMBP, as well as several others out there, gets only 6.5 hours of battery. I do not understand why some other people are getting 10 hours. Makes no sense to me unless there are defective units. I guess I should return this and try another before deciding to move to a 13" non-TB or the 15".

Which processor does yours have? FWIW, my experience so far on this 13 is only one cycle, so I need to reserve judgement positive or negative at this point. But my first run through felt normal to me, about 9 hours. Granted it was only web surf, but thats a lot of what I will do with it.

Did you shut down keyboard backlight? Try that and put your screen brightness to 75% if you haven't already. I am returning the 15 I bought today, there is no question that battery drains quicker than this 13 TB.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

Not to call them liars, but they are probably not actually using it all the way down. They are just looking at the projected battery life. I'm also getting 6-7 on the 13" TB and 10-11 on the no TB. Same usage.

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Not to call them liars, but they are probably not actually using it all the way down. They are just looking at the projected battery life. I'm also getting 6-7 on the 13" TB and 10-11 on the no TB. Same usage.

that is likely just the difference in the wattage on the processors don't you think? Not the TBs fault. And here is a question, if you go with the i7 upgrade in the non TB model is it still a 15w chip like the 2.0ghz i5 that comes standard?

I want to say all these discrepencies are related to either CPU or RAM. Not sure I could in any rationalize how RAM uses more battery but someone more techie could.

Impatientmac

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2016
tested on late 2013 Mbp
[doublepost=1479474616][/doublepost]so i guess, like with iOS10, the new OS has an impact to the battery usage
Hope they fix this then. Looks like Im getting about 5-6hs. The battery data isn't accurate yet, but I know I'm not getting 8-10 like I had hoped.

jacob_w

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2015
15" model here. First charge got around 7 hours of use (YouTube, web surfing etc.).

Right now on second charge. I noticed that the battery drains a lot faster while it's put to sleep (more than 10% per night). And just now I noticed that the Messages app and sometimes Finder make use of the dGPU. Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 11.16.02 AM.png

The actual on-screen time has been less than 4 hours. If the time remaining projected here is correct I won't get anywhere near 10 hours of use as advertised.

Reactions: kokhoong0624

kokhoong0624

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2015
15" model here. First charge got around 7 hours of use (YouTube, web surfing etc.).

Right now on second charge. I noticed that the battery drains a lot faster while it's put to sleep (more than 10% per night). And just now I noticed that the Messages app and sometimes Finder make use of the dGPU. View attachment 673199

The actual on-screen time has been less than 4 hours. If the time remaining projected here is correct I won't get anywhere near 10 hours of use as advertised.
I hope apple fixes this in a software update...

Reactions: jacob_w

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
that is likely just the difference in the wattage on the processors don't you think? Not the TBs fault. And here is a question, if you go with the i7 upgrade in the non TB model is it still a 15w chip like the 2.0ghz i5 that comes standard?

I want to say all these discrepencies are related to either CPU or RAM. Not sure I could in any rationalize how RAM uses more battery but someone more techie could.

I don't think it's the TBs fault, but the combination of a smaller battery, CPU, and the TB.

Reactions: skids929

Kafou33

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2016
Canada
tested on late 2013 Mbp
Maybe when they benchmark the 10h it was with el captain as sierra is pretty new.

cibonak

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2014
Montreal
Which processor does yours have? FWIW, my experience so far on this 13 is only one cycle, so I need to reserve judgement positive or negative at this point. But my first run through felt normal to me, about 9 hours. Granted it was only web surf, but thats a lot of what I will do with it.

Did you shut down keyboard backlight? Try that and put your screen brightness to 75% if you haven't already. I am returning the 15 I bought today, there is no question that battery drains quicker than this 13 TB.

what is a macbook then?

Reactions: DanJBS

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
Super disappointing. I was hoping the 15" got at least 8 hours, but it seems like even that is not assured.

I will probably replace my tMBP 13 with the non-TB version.

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
The review of the MBP here states that it has even better battery life... than the Surface Book with Performance Base (which claimed 16 hours).
http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/macbook-pro-15-inch

Why are there so many disparities... Or does it happen with every MacBook revision?

Thats nuts, there is no way I could get 10 hours on this 15. all I have done is basic web search too. This reviewer was either paid off or completely high at the time.

kokhoong0624

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2015
Thats nuts, there is no way I could get 10 hours on this 15. all I have done is basic web search too. This reviewer was either paid off or completely high at the time.
However your 13 inch seemed to outperform all the battery life of the reviews out there... I read from the other forums and some people claimed that the 15 inch can reach 9 hours.... f*** my mind LOL wonder if there's an issue with the software or is there diff manufacturers for the battery...

Reactions: skids929
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.