Battery Life in iOS 8?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by macinthass, Jun 4, 2014.

1. macinthass macrumors newbie

So how does battery life fare under iOS8 compared to 7.1.1? Any improvements even though its still a beta?

2. loanhighknight macrumors member

Way too early to ask. Nothing about a beta's battery drain can be expected to translate to final product performance.

3. irish1313 macrumors member

4. cheekyjeremy macrumors regular

Battery life seems more or less unchanged to me also

5. slykens macrumors member

It is no different for me but what the Battery Usage page has illuminated for me is that Calendar is *eating* up my battery in the background - to the tune of being responsible for 39% of my battery usage since I upgraded.

Last night I moved all my subscribed Calendars to iCloud leaving me with iCloud and Exchange as the only two calendars on the phone.

Once I complete 24 hours set up like this I'm going to remove the Exchange calendar and run anther 24 hours to see if that's the problem.

6. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Battery life for me is unchanged from iOS 7, which is very good for a beta!

7. ajfili macrumors newbie

Absolute crap. Three hours. iPhone 5, DFU restored, never restored a backup.

8. astral125 macrumors 6502

Good and bad. Randomly. I'll go for hours and hardly lose any battery, then I'll go for 30 minutes and lose 20%. I try to keep all apps force closed in case there is something causing battery drain not being fully compatible with iOS 8, but it doesn't seem to help the random drain.

9. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Sounds to me like the OS isn't reading the battery level accurately.

10. ctc799 macrumors member

I'm also seeing this on my iPhone! The first 10% or so take a while to drain and battery life seems very good, and from that point my battery drain seems to alternate between very fast and very slow with a similar usage pattern.

11. nheilweil macrumors 6502a

nheilweil

+1 here. My battery starts out draining slowly and then faster & really inconsistently. Overall battery life sucks but was totally expecting for b1.

I'm at 5% with only 4 hours usage & 4 hours standby.

Current top 5 drainers are:
    - Phone 20%
    - YouTube 14%
    - Safari 13%
    - Mail 9%
    - Facebook 8%

12. SLJ macrumors regular

SLJ

:mad: battery life is shocking... my 5S will not last more then 6 hours per day.

13. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Nothing changed

The battery life is quite ok. I get 6 hours of usage and 1 day of standby with 19% left on my battery indicator. Biggest drainer would be facebook and messenger.

14. jasonklee, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014

jasonklee macrumors 6502a

jasonklee

On an iPhone 5. Text messaging roughly an hour, then took a FaceTime Audio call for 3 hours 40 minutes.. I guess I'm content.

Attached Files:

15. soundslikeaudio macrumors member

Beta 1 seems to have pretty poor battery life for me (GSM 5s, DFU mode restored, did not restore from backup, 7 3rd party apps on the device currently), but that's what I expected. Normally around beta 3 or 4 the battery life gets back to normal. I am seeing what some of the other posters noticed, it seems like certain sections of the battery drain faster than others, indicating the issue could be with the calibration of the indicator. Again, about what I expected, not overly concerned about it.

16. Coupz macrumors regular

Just give it couple days to get back to normal. It was always like this, that it takes couple days for the battery to calibrate and normalize. I got like 4 hours 40 minutes yesterday.

17. soundslikeaudio macrumors member

Right on, I'll definitely see how it goes, it may sort itself out. Regardless, I knew what I was getting myself into by installing a beta, I have only myself to blame.

18. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I'm running iOS 8 on an iPad Mini 1G... The battery life isn't too bad right now. I streamed a Hulu video last night for about 20 minutes and the battery dropped about 8%..

19. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

Battery life is awful if you use location services. They stay on ALL THE TIME even with no apps open.

20. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

....to be fair - my battery does the same exact thing and I'm still using iOS 7 (not using the iOS 8 Beta but keeping an eye on these forums to see how it shapes up!).

I'll charge my phone and when its between 50% and 100%, the battery drains really slowly (especially when its between 90% and 100%) - I'll typically get about 2 days usage out of it.

However, as soon as it dips below 50%, the battery then starts to drain really fast - I can see my phone drop from 50% in the morning, to anything less than 30% by the end of the day. I know that the day my phone goes lower than 50%, its gonna drain so fast that it will require a re-charge that same day.

21. alexforget82 macrumors regular

Mine is bad...3 hours usage 1 day stand-by and 21% left...Facebook use 47% percent of my battery...

Attached Files:

22. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

...so within the Settings where it displays the apps which are eating away at the battery - is this because they are active in the background?

What happens when you kill these apps from the multi-tasking tray, will they still eat away at the battery?

23. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Just in case you guys have missed the other threads the battery life problem in Beta 1 is caused by the Appstore using location services non-stop and it can't be turned off :mad: The only solution is to disable location services.

For me I just rolled back to iOS 7. I'll wait for Beta 2.

24. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I noticed the app store taking up an inordinate amount of my battery life the first day or so on B1 - but it's since evened out and doesn't show up at the top of the list anymore.

I think battery life has been pretty decent - though I'll echo the sentiments that it seems the OS isn't properly reading the battery life percentage seeing as there are big drops are random times.

25. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Go to location services and you will see the Appstore is using location services. If you toggle the "never use" it doesn't matter it still stays on.