Battery life isn't what's expected

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tehsprayer, Jul 11, 2013.

1. tehsprayer macrumors member

I'm running with about 75% brightness and a little keyboard backlit and I'm only getting around 8 hours of battery life.

The only programs i'm actually running is Google Chrome and Skype, possibly off and on with steam, nothing too major and getting 7-8 hours battery....What am I doing wrong?

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Using Chrome instead of Safari.

3. tehsprayer thread starter macrumors member

I like safari but whenever I use the back button, safari will reload the page which will take around 3-5 seconds when chrome seems to save it. Weird is there any way to enable cache?

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Give it a couple of charge cycles to see if it makes a difference.

From the Apple site: "Testing conducted by Apple in May 2013 using preproduction 1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5-based 13-inch MacBook Air units and preproduction 1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5-based 11-inch MacBook Air units. The wireless web test measures battery life by wirelessly browsing 25 popular websites with display brightness set to 12 clicks from bottom or 75%. The HD movie playback test measures battery life by playing back HD 720p content with display brightness set to 12 clicks from bottom or 75%. The standby test measures battery life by allowing a system, connected to a wireless network, to enter standby mode with Safari and Mail applications launched and all system settings left at default. Battery life varies by use and configuration. See www.apple.com/batteries for more information."

5. mattferg macrumors 6502

I use Chrome and get the estimated battery life.

6. thompson11 macrumors member

There's your problem.

7. ApplNat macrumors member

ApplNat

I normally get 12 hours battery life, however, if I start running iPhoto movie mode and a few other intense applications, my estimates will drop down to 7 or 8 hrs. When I stop running those apps my estimate will increase. So keep track of what you are using and how much and how often. Some apps will eat up more battery life.

8. johnjey macrumors regular

Sounds unbelievable as 11'i5 starts crying at 5 hours and 13 minutes on using VMware, flash, regular surfin, word processing :(

9. TC25 macrumors 68020

Other than having unrealistic expectations, you're doing nothing wrong.

10. glenbogle macrumors newbie

Is this really a fair point? They're not unrealistic expectations, they're what Apple said.

11. TC25 macrumors 68020

Apple also defined how they came up with these estimates. The OP isn't matching them. So, yes, it is a fair point.

12. TMac99 macrumors newbie

Swipe instead of Back Button

Tehsprayer - not in reference to your original battery question, but in your second post you mentioned how Safari reloads each page when you use the back button. Instead of using the back button, just do a 2 finger swipe (to the right) - that will instantly take you back to your previous Safari page - quick and easy, with no page reload.

P.S. I am getting a regular 12 hours (or so) with light usage - the one thing I found that impoacts that is Flash, and now that I have clicktoflash installed, I am amazed at how widespread the use of Flash is in browsers - many of hte pop-up adds are Flash based, so one even pages that might seem static, Flash is running and consuming more battery and CPU cycles than necessary.

13. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

I have an 11", and I just had a single charge last me two days.. under "normal" use..

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Both Skype and steam are resource-intensive apps and can drain a battery faster than many other apps. In addition, it's possible you may have other processes running that are contributing to shorter battery life. There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

15. TC25 macrumors 68020

IOW, the OP was not replicating the same conditions under which Apple developed their battery estimates.

What is it that people find so hard to understand about this and then assume their MBA has a hardware/battery problem? :confused:

16. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

For basic tasks the MBA definitely gets 13 hours, when you start doing anything CPU Intensive it drops down, that's expected.

17. tehsprayer thread starter macrumors member

I am gesturing to go back and it reloads the page, that's why I'm sticking to chrome.

And I don't think leaving Skype on will drain the battery by 4 hours and I hardly go on steam.

18. Bear macrumors G3

It would help people answer your question(s) if you mentioned what model Mac you had including screen size and year.

19. johannnn macrumors 6502a

johannnn

Chrome has flash included. Those random flash ads run a lot of cpu. Safari doesn't have flash included. As long as you don't install flash Safari will be better for your battery

20. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

pretty sure he's talking about the 2013 13" given the fact that he's "complaining" about only getting 8 hours.

21. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

You would assume that, but to assume makes an ass of u and me. For all we know the OP has the 11" and is confusing the battery life with a 13".