Battery life not the same after update?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by likemyorbs, Nov 24, 2010.

?

How has your battery been since upgrading to iOS 4.2.1?

1. Worse

45 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. Better

6 vote(s)
    5.5%
  3. The same

59 vote(s)
    53.6%
  1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I feel like ever since upgrading to 4.2.1, my battery is draining much faster while doing simple tasks. I lose a percentage point every 3 or 4 minutes while using safari. Maybe im just crazy, anyone else notice this?

2. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I haven't noticed that, but I have no sounds, anybody have that problem?

3. spiralynth macrumors regular

My battery life is the same, great self it's always been. I'm also still on 3.2 and the same smartass I've always been.

:p

4. Saberon macrumors 6502a

I had no sounds, then I realized the "mute switch" was still on from 3.2.2 when it was an orientation lock

5. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

I have noticed this too with my iPad after the update.

6. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Well how else do you expect to power the new features? :p

7. TroyJam macrumors member

TroyJam

+1

8. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

After updating to 4.2.1, my battery drops 1% every 2-3 mins. So much for iPad's "legendary batter." :rolleyes:

9. salbenacci macrumors newbie

I have noticed battery drainage immediately after installing the new update. All my settings were the same as when I had 3.2.2. I read on a few other forums that calibrating the battery (completely draining the battery, then fully charging it) worked with a few users. I am draining it as I type this message. Hope it works.

10. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Same, here. Battery seems to drain faster. However, I did notice that some of the push/location services were switched on where they were off previously.

11. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I noticed this as well. I keep my brightness down all the way because unlike most i dont need my retinas blinded to see so I recharged it like everyother day instead of everyday. One thing I noticed today though; with the same amount of use I am down to about 5%....gonna watch some TV on the couch with the family in an hour and now I gotta fight over the chair with the outlet!

12. steveapp macrumors member

Odd, my battery is still brilliant, I go several days between recharges quite oftten and the version looks to be more of the same, just timed 1% of battery while browsing, installing an app, watching an imbedded vid etc and 8 min for 1% is better than I should hope for, 800 minutes total is over 13 hours

Do you guys ever do anything to look after the battery ? I periodically let it go flat to the point of shutdown then leave it a while, then charge for a good 10 hours overnight, i read it somewhere and it seems to work even though I'm sure it's mumbo jumbo. I read something similar for my mobile (HTC Desire) and thar made a measurable difference to the battery life so I'm inclined to think it might have some truth - feeling an email to myth busters coming on :)

13. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Hmm maybe i should turn this thread into a poll? Looks like others are experiencing the same issue

14. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

15. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

One of the culprits would be there are a few apps suspended in the background. Double click and go to the multitasking tray and kill the apps you finished using unless you really need them (need to go back to them in a few minutes). Having tons of apps suspended there also eats a bit of our microscopic RAM size. Every app and game you open will be there so make it a point to kill them if you want to optimize battery life. I only keep Safari down there and my battery drain is identical to previous versions. Hope that helps.

16. iPagan macrumors regular

That's good advice.

I noticed the battery drained faster after I installed 4.2 GM. After I turned off the unwanted apps running in the background, it still drained faster than 3.2.2. But not with 4.2.1. I installed it on the first day it came out. So far, it has the same fabulous life as in 3.2.2.

17. DaveMD, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010

DaveMD macrumors newbie

I was afraid this might happen too if I am to upgrade it to 4.2; that's why I'm playing it safe and I'm observing what others are experiencing before I decide whether to go ahead with the upgrade or not. Because multitasking and other features arent too important for me right now, I'm not in a hurry to upgrade right away. However, forumers here who are willing to share their experience regarding the battery life after the upgrade, would greatly be appreciated.

I get around 6 minutes per 1 percent with the 3.2 ios. That gives me around ten hours of usage. +/- off course.

18. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

Turn off the battery percentage and all will be fine my iPad last just as long as it always has. People get worked up over litte things that.

19. emreturkeli macrumors newbie

only me?

I think I will be the only one to say that, but my ipad's battery got better after the update.. :D I have a 64 GB Wifi+3G by the way..

As an example, with the wi-fi always on.. I let the ipad charge all night, and took it to work with me. I'm occasinally checking my mails (once every hour) and sometimes entering some datas in TODO, or expensetrckr... and with this usage when the clock shows 12:00 pm lunch time (my work starts at 8am by the way) my battery still shows 100% :eek:

20. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

I've noticed a minuscule dip, but now I'm always playing Pandora in the background, and switching between apps.

The iPad is now truly a consumption device, unfortunately that includes the prestigious battery.

You can downgrade, but you're going to sorely miss multitasking. Sorely. Well, if you haven't jailbroken it.

21. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Took a road trip a day after iOS 4.2.1 came out from San Diego to the Bay Area. 10 hour drive, 3G iPad was playing Yo Gabba Gabba (for my toddler) for about 6 hours of the trip and on with 3G on the rest of the trip with use at rest stops. After a day of heavy video use, my battery was at 50%. Legendary.

22. THFourteen macrumors 6502

my battery life is better!

but thats because my 3.2.2 was jailbroken and mobile substrate sucked up all the juice.

23. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Yeah when I first bought my iPad I had a 18 hour car ride and after I got out the battery was at 22%...meanwhile my phone went through 3 charge cycles. Was and still am impressed.

24. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Very true. My iPad is definitely easier to use now and I have a much smoother work flow on it now. Multitasking on jail broken 3.2.2 never really worked well for me, but this is amazing. I guess the battery life suffering a little bit is kind of worth it.

25. RobNor macrumors regular

After updating to 4.2.1 battery seem worse on my ipad but a little better on my iphone