iPhone Battery life shocking. Phone shuts down at 10%

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by bronksy, Sep 20, 2012.

1. bronksy macrumors 6502

bronksy

Not much more to say. I've had 4 hours of battery on my iPhone 4S and iOS6.
    Went to 10% then switched off.
    Plugged it in and it restarted but with 9% charge.
    Annoying. Very annoying. And poor. Very poor.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I've been going for 5 hours already using it off and on
    And my battery has barely dropped at all

3. ParagJain macrumors 6502

Recalibration might help ... charge 100 %, let it drain and switch off.
    And then, charge 100 % again.

4. bronksy thread starter macrumors 6502

bronksy

Well it was 100% this morning. It drained to 10% and then shut off. Wouldn't power up until I plugged it back in. Then it came on with apple logo and with 9% charged. I'm charging it now. It's charged about 30% in 10 mins. That doesn't seem right.

5. baddj macrumors 6502

I am going throw battery power faster now on my 4S my iPad is better though

Attached Files:

6. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

Mine seems to use a lot more battery in standby mode. I had it plugged in up until I went to bed last night and it said it was 100% full. This morning I woke up and it is a little under 50%.

Before the update, it would only drain 5% if that overnight.

7. bronksy thread starter macrumors 6502

bronksy

8. drknowusa macrumors regular

Indeed it is awful. My 4s dropped 26% from about 90 minutes of use, voice calls and a few texts, no surfing. iPad is down about10% after several hours of email and web-browsing. This is NOT GOOD!

9. bronksy thread starter macrumors 6502

bronksy

10. southfrisco macrumors member

Sorry to say but did any upgrade to iOS 6 using a backup? If so your best bet is to reinstall iOS 6 as a new installation (don't use a backup).

Almost always, poor battery life is because a new iOS version is released and people update using a backup. Doing this can bring over legacy information from previous software which can affect firmware. Unless your battery has actually deteriorated to that level I would reinstall new (no backup) and see if battery life is improved.

Or go to Apple and complain. They might give you a refurbished unit but odds are they will also attempt to reinstall iOS 6 brand new (no backup).

Good luck.

11. davelanger macrumors 6502a

what is the best way to restore? just reset to factory settings, then what?

12. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

Not this again...I did 3 clean installs, nothing helped. It's an iOS 6 problem

13. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I feel lucky to not have this problem on my 4S. :confused:

Well I guess I didnt get to test it out fully yet, but my battery doesn't seem negatively affected at all.

14. bronksy thread starter macrumors 6502

bronksy

Crap. This re install option is not something the majority of upgraders would do. They will hit 'update' from settings and let it do its thing.
    Doing a clean install may well help but I can't believe that Apple failed to test battery life using their actual preferred and suggested method of updates.

It's more likely some apps are pulling something behind the scenes. Perhaps.

15. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

I've seen this exact problem twice now with the GM. Once last week, and then yesterday. First time I had to plug it in for it to boot, yesterday I waited a few minutes and tried to turn it on again and it worked. Showing 10%.

16. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

iPhone 4S - From full to 35% in 5 hrs in "standby".

Last night, I noticed Safari was constantly in a mode of updating bookmarks. I suspect this is what is causing the drain, in my case anyway.

I tried turning off iCloud for Safari, but I was still unable to delete bookmarks (and it had double of some). So, back to iTunes - tried to replace Bookmarks with the Mac's (no iCloud). Kept getting error saying the iPhone cancelled the sync.

It's still trying to sync - I can't imagine it's the bookmarks, rather it's the Reading List content (for off-line viewing).

Next up: a new install, then restore from backup (unless I can find a way to clear Safari's bookmarks).

17. KAB2010 macrumors 6502

Please tell me if you have been able to fix this!!! My iPhone 4 is running hot and depleting at a rapid rate. I can only assume its from the reading list/bookmarks stuck in a sync loop. I tried deleting, redoing, clicking and unclicking everything iCloud related and nothing helped.

18. ProVideo, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

ProVideo macrumors 6502

1. Hard reset the phone (hold home & hold)
    2. Turn off all Location services.
    3. Turn off Bluetooth.
    4. Quit many of the open apps.
    5. Knock down the brightness a bit.

19. fd59 macrumors newbie

Just an FYI of what happened with me. After my upgrade I also experienced all the items listed here (Heat, Battery drain, wifi issues).

This is what I think might be happening. When you first update I think the system must be doing some type of heavy duty maintenance items, such as re-indexing the storage or converting file system, defragging or something. This would explain the hot phone syndrome that occurs and then cools off after several hours at least on my 32gb iPhone 4S. This possible high CPU utilization would also explain the fast battery drain.

I ended up letting the battery drain fully and then recharged to 100% (while i slept overnight). This morning I took the phone off the charger at 8:00 am. It stayed at 100% battery for over 1.5hrs. BTW I used it for email, phone calls and listened to over two hours of pod casts in the morning. At lunch I was at 60%. I use the phone for calls and web surfing this afternoon and the phone lasted until 6:30pm before the phone shut off.

I think if you let the phone die and recharge a couple of times the problems will work themselves out. Just give it a day or two.

FYI... The wifi is now working. I think this was an issue with Apple that they fixed yesterday, but I still want to be able to turn off the "auto logon" like in IOS 5.

20. KAB2010 macrumors 6502

Is anyone else experiencing the bookmarks/reading list being in a continuous sync? I can't replace them, edit them, delete them, etc. It just says wait for them to finish syncing. This could be the source of my battery drain.

21. man02195 macrumors regular

with iOS5.1.1 my phone would be about 94% at 9am.

with iOS6.0 my phone is at 68% at 9am, and I've turned off Siri and bookmark synching and other stuff

22. bronksy thread starter macrumors 6502

bronksy

23. Stalyn macrumors regular

24. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

iPhone 4 and my battery get's really hot when using it. Never really happened in iOS 5 unless I was playing a game for a long time.

I can tell there's been a hit in battery life since 6.0

25. Crotalus_Joe macrumors regular

I'll test this theory tonight, iPhone 5 should be here then the 4 gets wiped and "set up as new" for one of my kids. Will compare the battery life after the setup.