Battery Life Still Bad After Restore

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TypeMRT, Aug 10, 2010.

1. TypeMRT macrumors 6502

I went back after only 1 day of using my jailbroken iPhone 4. Just installing MyWi, Five Icon Dock, and 3G Unrestrictor left my battery draining about 50-80% faster without even activating tethering and also a little unstable in general.
    I restored to a pre-jailbreak backup and my battery is still draining about 50% faster. I don't have logs of my usage but I do know that browsing on 3G used to take 5% battery now it's 7-8% battery (better than the 10% when jailbroken).
    This kind of battery drain happened on my 3Gs after an update of one of the jailbroken apps and it SUCKED. it's making me regret jailbreaking my iPhone 4 since the restore didn't fix the battery drain.
    Any help would be appreciated. I'm not interested in restoring as new phone and I have experience using jailbroken iPhones since 1.1 and the battery drain wasn't bad until 3.1.3 and now iOS 4.
    Thanks!

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You best bet is the one you stated that you are not interested in, but if you want to try a few others, I'd suggest draining the battery (cycling) a couple of times, use the LED flash and drain your battery until the phone goes dead, recharge it (Fully), and repeat a couple of times.

3. TypeMRT thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll try the full drain/recharge cycle tonight. I recharge every night and Pre-jailbreak I never got below 80% web browsing for 30 minutes then 60 minutes workout listening to streaming radio sent to Bluetooth headphones while using Nike+ on the treadmill. That same 90 minutes gets me into the 50-60's% now.
    I wonder if 4.0.1 is the issue. My pre-jailbreak backup was 4.0 but I restored to 4.0.1 firmware.

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Could be, I had very bad battery life before JBs (it have actually improve after JB, but that's due to me having more control over what's running what is not and the radios).

The only way to establish it is to set it up as new phone, and test it without apps or JB for a couple of days. I understand that you want to avoid that.(maybe a couple of cycling would solve the issue).

5. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

exact same thing happened to me. Ive had a 3gs for a year and just recently jailbroke for the first time. My battery life got way worse, losing 10% on standby at night. I did a full restore to new phone and re-jailbroke and it seems just as bad. No idea why this is happening

6. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

Pre JB my battery went down 1% over night (3 min of usage and about 8 hours of standby). After JBing it goes down about 6 to 8% (30 min of usage while I'm sleeping and about 8 hours of standby).

7. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

yes!!! we need to figure out the problem!!!

anyone????? please help!!!!!

8. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

I got rid of Proswitcher with Backgrounder and turned off 3G and now my battery lasts forever.

9. TypeMRT thread starter macrumors 6502

The Apple multi-tasking in iOS 4 works well enough that I don't need Backgrounder. Turning off 3G is a good idea, just not for me. I don't want to turn off 3G since I get fast speeds (usually 1.5 Mbps) where I live.

10. nednarm macrumors 6502

yeah same things happening to me, I'm going to full cycle it a few times and see if that makes a difference.

11. ichii macrumors 6502

ichii

I notice Ultrasnow drains my battery, it's down to 70% when I get home from work 7-5pm with mostly standby and light use. After I removed Ultrasnow I get 90% of battery life left.

12. MrThompsonR macrumors 6502

MrThompsonR

I agree turn off all high power(drain) radios when not needed(WiFi, 3G and Bluetooth) and your battery will last much longer!

13. TypeMRT thread starter macrumors 6502

But I don't want to manage turning radios on and off. Pre-jailbreak I was very happy with battery life leaving it all turned on. Now I have crap battery life on the stock firmware.

14. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

If you did a full restore to pre-Jailbreak condition, and you still have a battery problem, your battery problem has NOTHING to do with the Jailbreak......

S-

15. TypeMRT thread starter macrumors 6502

And that's the part that I can't figure out. I didn't install any new apps from the app store.
    What I want to do is get this one replaced under warranty, do a restore from today's backup, and see if the battery problem is still there. If there's no problem, I tempting fate by doing a Jailbreak at that point.
    I can live without FaceTime over 3G since AT&T will allow that to happen soon enough but I really want tethering for my iPad on my $30 unlimited plan.

16. macrn2013 macrumors newbie

I am actually going through this problem as we speak. I noticed my battery life being affected while jailbroken this past weekend, so last night I made the decision to do a complete restore with a new phone setup, and today I'm still noticing major battery problems. For an 8 hour shift at work, I checked it maybe 3 times, and prior to even checking it 5 hours into the day, when I looked, after being asleep for 5 hours, it was already down 2%. Then I checked back 3 hours later, and with no use, I was down another 1-2%. Even while txting, I would watch my percent drop. So I too, am wondering what are suggestions, if any, on what to do? Restoring my phone with a new phone setup should take all jailbroken apps and software and whatever crap off and out of my phone completely right?

17. HBick macrumors newbie

Registered Finally for This

I registered because like the person just before me, I had a JB iPhone 4 and after noticing a depleting battery life, I restored and set up as a new phone. Did this last week, and I'm still having issues. I had two complete power drains while JB while sleeping (5-6 hours) with a battery life of 50% and 48% respectively. This is what led me to doing a restore and setting up as new.

As of now, I haven't had the time to do complete drains but am in the process of doing one now. I'll update with results.

18. doc2142 macrumors member

Same here my iphone drains battery so quick, I can't get rid of ultrasnow since I need that because I use t mobile. Do you think its a problem with the jailbreak? maybe we should let the dev know about this?

19. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

It's not ultraslow bc I'm having these same problems and don't have that. It's getting really annoying just browsing this site and losing 1% every 2-3 minutes

20. noahsnyc macrumors regular

PlanetBeing on Twitter this afternoon -

"Give me a day to see if I can figure out what's going on. It might be the same thing as the battery drain people report for unlock. Could be that we don't let i4 shutdown the bb uart and that might eat up more power than I thought. Working on a way to be more selective."

twitter.com/planetbeing

21. TypeMRT thread starter macrumors 6502

22. doc2142 macrumors member

Yesterday I charged my iphone fully and turned off Activitor also turned off pushing and my data also wifi. The only thing that was on is SBsetting and my phone. Left it for 4 hours and I had 0 minutes of use time and 100% battery left.

So then I decide to turn on wifi and see what happens. After 7 hours I had about 4 minutes (i played with the phone a bit) of use time but still 100% battery.

Today ill try to have data/wifi/phone sbsetting on during the night and see if there is any change. If not ill include pushing too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: Oh yeah forgot to add I also have ultrasnow installed.

23. alpineflip macrumors newbie

24. macrn2013 macrumors newbie

So it sounds like the things to try first are letting the battery completely drain down, a few cycles of that, and if that doesn't fix it, then... ? My battery has been a little better today... A LITTLE.. But it's still a problem.. The only thing that improved was my standby, which had been affected. I left it on standby with no use and just receiving one phone call and one voicemail during a 7 hour period, and it was still at 100%. I check the voicemail, send 2 text messages, and make a 3 minute phone call, and I'm down to 97%. IDK if that's considered an improvement or not.. Anyone know if the new update somehow, IDK, gets this whole battery issue back on track? I'm new with this JB stuff, and now that I'm trying to go back, I'm even newer, so sorry if that was a dumb question.

25. TypeMRT thread starter macrumors 6502

I drained the battery last night and started my testing at 4am. By 1pm I was down to 7% and here are the stats:
    Usage 6h 2m
    Standby 9h 12m
    Pretty much occasional web browsing and push email with a few Facebook updates and about 20 minutes of phone calls. The first hour was over wifi and used about 14% battery and the rest was on 3G.
    That's about an hour of usage short of what happened pre-jailbreak.