Battery Life Sucking Since 2.2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Nov 24, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I charged my iPhone to 100% last night (it had the little plug icon) then I unplugged it, turned Wifi off and let it sit all night. This morning I woke up and the battery was down by 2 pixels and it only had a usage time of 18 minutes. How is just letting it sit using up that much battery life? I could understand if it had a few hours of usage, but 18 minutes? What is going on here? I've attached a screenshot. This never happened before 2.2.

Attached Files:

2. jwflutterby macrumors regular

I am noticing a lot of things sucking since 2.2... I noticed from your screen shot that you were on Edge, are you normally on Edge or 3G? I have noticed that my phone is connecting Edge WAY more than it used since 2.2... The only time I was Edge before was in the middle of my building at work, now I see that stupid E more than the 3G... I have also noticed that it likes to turn my WiFi off when I turn my screen off... It used to be that when I was at home, when I first got home it might take a sec to connect to WiFi the first time I turned on my screen but every time I turned on my screen after that I was still on WiFi... Since 2.2 everytime I turn off my screen, even for a second, it kicks me off WiFi and I have to wait for it to connect up again...

I am also having major issue with my Exchange email but I'm gonna see if there is another thread for that yet...

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

have you calibrated you batt at all?

i will say my batt life has improved quite a bit with 2.2

4. daisuke07 macrumors regular

i guess you have no more *perfect* white iphone 3g

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol that made me chuckle

6. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I've calibrated it on 2.1, but I have not yet with 2.2. I found a few threads at Apple forums already about people getting very terrible battery life since 2.2

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1797971&tstart=0
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1801056&tstart=15

:(

It's the software that is making my iPhone act like this. It only happened after I upgraded to 2.2.

Edit: Found another one: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1796131

So none of you have this problem?

7. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

Mine is still pretty consistent even with update, about 6.5hr to 7hrs usage and 2days of standby. :cool:

8. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

2 hours of usage and 36 hours of standby, and my batterymeter is at around 70%. Those 2 hours of usage was when my little sister were playing games on my phone and me downloading games via wifi and 3G, and a bit of using the GPS in town/surfing the web, so it was pretty heavy usage since most of it was gaming..

And yes, im on 2.2. I never had bad battery though.

9. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Might have to do a restore... damnit... I hate doing that. I guess I won't load from a back-up too. F**k!

EDIT: Just now, I got a 3G signal for the first time in my area. I wonder if last night it was switching from Edge to 3G all night and that's what brought my battery down.

10. jwflutterby macrumors regular

I think that is what is happening to me too... Forgot to mention in my complaint about being on Edge all the time now that it seems to be killing my battery faster than before 2.2 too..

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

2 pixels? What is that? 90%? 95%?

With the usage times you're showing there my battery would be at about 80%. So I'd say you're doing pretty good!

But anyway, perhaps the battery indicator is now being more accurate? I wouldn't judge anything on the movement of pixels. Take note of when it actually DIES over the next few days. If that's different, something's wrong. If it's pretty much the same, then the indicator is just a little different, but your battery life hasn't changed.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea op, i dont think it is at all abnormal the more i think about it......

13. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Not snark, but I am getting fantastic battery life.

I have no idea what it is, other then fixes in the email app or maybe the fix for the safari web kit mem leak, but I am getting really good battery life, and to make it even better, this weekend I was out a lot, (so it was not in my charger most of the day.)

2.2 also feel pretty snappy IMO.
    :(

Also, small white car may be onto something, maybe apple is updating the battery icon better?

14. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

My battery life is fine.

To be honest if it's nothing drastic, why worry about it. I was like that when i get my iPhone, but overtime i realized it's fine.

15. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

You also have 10hrs standby...
    Thats a fair bit of time....

16. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Wow.

I have never seen that much usage on mine.

Hell, I would need 2-3 charges to get that many hours of usage.

UNLESS, it was mostly iPod usage, which seems to take little to no batter compared to data.

17. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yeah, but I've never seen it like this before. Standby uses very little drain. I bet my iPhone was trying to connect to 3G all night. 3G JUST came on here in New Hampshire and they may have been fiddling with it last night which would explain this abnormality for me. I'll try again tonight to see if it changes.

18. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

That's fair enough. If the phone was switching between EDGE and 3G for the night that may answer your question on why it drained a little quicker.

In saying that. I wouldn't worry :D
    My battery is dead at the end of every day...

19. QWK SVT macrumors newbie

I have to say - I'm noticing the exact opposite. Since upgrading to 2.2, I'm seeing far better battery life, given the same amount of usage. Typically, I would be down to about 40% by 6pm, but am closer to 70%, now. Hopefully, it's not just because I did a cleaning of my data and this keeps up :cool:

20. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

I did not clean or restore in upgrading to 2.2 and have noticed the same thing.

It really is too good to be true so I don't want to jinx it.

21. The Phazer macrumors 68030

My 2G's battery seems to be holding slightly better if anything...

Phazer

22. Grasbak macrumors 6502

Amazing battery life

I have 3.5hrs usage and a day standby and my battery indicator hasn't gone down at all!!! Wow!!!

Of course I assume it's a bug - anyone else had this? I should be at 50% by now....

23. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, after updating to 2.2 my iPhone showed 100% battery right up until it died at the usual time. :p

Since then, it's been fine and has reported correctly. Let it die and then charge it. Hopefully it will be fine after that.

24. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Made me laugh too. ;)

25. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

same here....

I used to consistently get 5.5 to 6 hours easily, but now I get maybe 4.5 before 10 percent battery meter is activated.

If this continues, I will downgrade to 2.1.

Jude