Battery life with OS 4.0 beta

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lyhte, Apr 10, 2010.

1. lyhte macrumors member

lyhte

I am really surprised to see that there are no complaints of battery life with the new beta software. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that there aren't any complaints, just surprised.

I say this because my battery life after upgrading has been horrible. I've tried restoring it, setting it up as a new iphone, etc., but nothing seems to work. It's almost as if there are apps that are running in the background that are constantly draining the battery.

So, I decided to restore it once more and remove some of the apps that I had to see if I'd notice a difference. Haven't had a chance to fully assess it yet but I'll keep you posted.

Also, wanted to know if any of you have experienced battery life issues with the new beta and what, if anything, did you do to remedy it.

Thanks

2. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

My battery life hasn't been great either. Although it hasn't been horrible or anything.

3. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

it goes down faster ( its not bad at all) but i kill the apps when im done using them

4. rsnaider macrumors member

My biggest issue with phone is battery life and with all the new feature I hope Apple is able to balance things out.

5. lyhte thread starter macrumors member

lyhte

Update: After restoring for the third time, I decided not to sync the "free memory info" app that I had on the phone previously. After leaving that app out, I must say that I do notice a dramatic difference in battery life, for the better of course.
    So, if you're having battery life issues, it may be an app that you have installed that is so incompatible with the beta that it just keeps running in the background.

6. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

You are aware that no apps currently support mutitasking? So there is no multitasking going on inside the phone: the multitasking list, at the moment, merely works as a recently used list.

7. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

My battery life is definitely much worse (set up as new phone), but I wasn't expecting this to be polished. I'm surprised how well everything else is working though.

8. celticpride678

It's the first beta...Apple will figure it out my the final release. It was bad, and now they have to deal with multitasking taking battery power as well.

9. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

My battery life is twice as good as it is on my other phone, so apparently the battery in that phone is ****ed.

10. fraggot macrumors 6502

I've actually noticed my battery life to be a tad bit better despite my phone being a little more sluggish then usual(Yes, I understand it's just a beta).

My iPhone 3G is also over a year old so my battery isn't the GREATEST these days anyways. I'll be eligible for an upgrade in August, so I'll either be upgrading to a 3GS or whatever new model may or may not be out then.

11. noob17 macrumors member

funny..

I was out all day yesterday.. using the navigon app.

Totally forgot about the other 7/8 apps that were already running on the background.

Had an incar charger that was charging the iphone the whole time...

BUT.. the battery charge was still decreasing! LMAO!!!!!

got rid of all the other apps and the charge started to increase again :)..

just thought that was a funny one to share...

12. Glenn.955 macrumors member

I agree with Patrick. There are only a few apple apps that support multitasking (like mail and preferences) the rest are exiting when you leave them.

I think it is probably because you are using the phone more playing with all the extra bits that is draining the battery. Try turning it off occasionally! :D:eek:

13. nalk7 macrumors regular

14. rtabdo macrumors 6502

My bet is that although 4.0 will work with the 3GS, they are really optimizing it for the new iPhone which will likely see more power and better battery.

15. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

My battery life is great since I upraded to the beta. I'm not seeing a drop at all.

16. Wheezy13 macrumors newbie

It's considerably worse on my 3GS than when I had it jailbroken with "real" multitasking... heh. :cool:

17. Archangel621 macrumors newbie

I think my battery life has suffered after upgrading as well. It's hard to measure how bad it is but with minimal use during the day, my battery drops significantly. Before the upgrade, I could go at least 2 days like that.

18. davidChief macrumors regular

davidChief

This is beta software and things are likely to be optimized further. Personally, I have not seen any significant change in battery life since upgrading.

Bear in mind that there are hardly any apps that support multitasking yet. I am really not sure how @noob17 managed to have 7 or 8 apps running in the background. I can't imagine what these apps would have been.

Just because an app's icon appears in the popup section at the bottom doesn't mean it is running. In fact, I would hazard a guess that the only Apple apps that actually continue running in the background are the ones that always did in iPhone OS 3.x (iPod app, Mail etc.)

All of the other Apple apps are quitting and relaunching. They just do it quickly and resume to where you last left of. This doesn't mean they are consuming memory and CPU behind the scenes. They are actually closing down when you switch between apps.

In iPhone OS 4.0 the only things that will remaining running, consuming CPU and RAM in the background will be things that have a genuine need to - i.e. radio streaming or in-car navigation.

The easiest way to think of the popup task switcher bar is that is a list of recently opened applications. Much like the same list in Mac OS X accessed via the Apple menu > Recent Items.

19. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

It's because noob17 has no idea what he's talking about.

It seems a lot of people are running the beta and don't understand what it does and what it doesn't do.

20. davidChief macrumors regular

davidChief

I suspect many of the "developers" running the "developer beta" of iPhone OS 4.0 have never even installed XCode or built an iPhone app. :)

21. WinDoze9t8 macrumors newbie

WinDoze9t8

My battery life is really poor, so I will have to investigate which app/s is causing the issue.

I took the phone off change last night before bed and this morning it is dead. I'd not even used it :eek: The same happend yesterday but I had change it overnight and i had gome by lunchtime -at the time I put that down too my 2 year old who loves playing with certian apps on the phone.

22. WinDoze9t8 macrumors newbie

WinDoze9t8

Which is the true way to install the beta really - though Apple don't really care who is using the beta. The problems are discovered quicker with widespread testing, resultiing in more beta releases before launch and quick fixes

23. The General macrumors 601

the built in apps run in the background. it's actually really annoying. when i open settings and i have to hit "back" twice just to get to whatever i was trying to change because i didnt close it completely.

multitasking sucks. i dont want it. i hope there's an off switch when 4.0 is released.

24. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

For me, 4.0 is giving the best battery life I think I've ever had on an iPhone. I thought for sure this thread would have been about how great it is on the beta. It's interesting how wide the opinion can vary.

25. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I have had no problems with the battery life (considering I have a 3G and no multitasking). But I have found that there are some funky things going on. If I want to youtube and played a video, then exit out of the app (home button) the phone gets quite warm, so much so that when it was in my pocket I had to check on it because it felt hot.

I have tested this several times and typically it happens. Even though "nothing" is running (exited the Youtube app and on a 3G); it seems to be leaving some process running like a monster. I reboot the phone and everything seems alright from then on out until I use Youtube again.