Battery Life Woes Fixed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chocolatemilty, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Chocolatemilty, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011

Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

So, I recently updated the software on my iPhone 4 from 4.3.1 to 4.3.2 and set up as a new phone. I can say that this has effectively solved my battery woes. I have gotten 3.5 hours of usage and 15 hours standby time so far and I'm only at 75%! WOW.

I should mention that I virtually have everything on - 3G, wifi, location, push notifications and mail with 4 accounts (did disable Ping and YouTube app, though). I should also mention that I'm jailbroken and running Winterboard, and that I calibrated the battery until the iPhone shut off and charged it fully with everything off (airplane mode, all JB tweaksand push notification and email off).

I just thought I'd share just in case anyone was still experiencing bad battery life and wanted to try this for themselves or pass it on to others who may not view this forum.

2. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Thanks. I have the same issue. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and redo my phone this weekend. Rearranging my apps again is going to be a pain, plus the loss of my sms/phone history.

3. Chocolatemilty thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, it was a pain for me as well, but well worth it to get the battery life corrected.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Just curious, but when you got your phone, did you restore from a backup of an older iPhone? Heard that really screws with the battery and the best way is to start new.

5. Chocolatemilty thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I did. I had a 3G and restored from that backup. That really decreased the battery life. Therefore, I had to go ahead and set it up as a new phone.

6. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

I just wish there as a single file, plist or something that had the layout of the springboard so I would not have to manually the icons back.
    SMS, I could always use a third party software to at least back that up to a text file. It would be better if there was s separate restore option in iTunes for SMS, restore the SMS only without the rest.

7. seble macrumors 6502a

It would be heaven to have that kind of battery life. 3 hours usage battery life on my iphone, puts it somewhere on the 45% mark.

8. jcapz macrumors member

Might be a dumb question but just curious...why is it that restoring from backup sometimes creates bad battery life? I want to restore as new but I have so much work related stuff it would be such a hassle to start as new. Yet I'm debating on if the battery life is worth it.

9. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

10. Chocolatemilty thread starter macrumors 6502a

It could be that the backup has code within the files suitable for past iOS firmwares, so then a new one is signed, that backup is put on top of the new iOS firmware and running that code instead? That's my best guess...