Battery Life...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eggtastic, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Eggtastic macrumors 6502

Eggtastic

Alright I already went over all the possible ways to conserve battery life on the iphone 3gs... but I want to know what is best in terms of charging in...

1. Should I always "cycle" the battery? (Charge to 100% and let it drain fully) everytime?

2. Or can I do partial charges and not have battery lifetime effected?

3. Or suggest another way.

P.S. When I close an app (press home button to return to home screen), does that completely close the app to preserve battery life or is there a technique i need to do to ensure the app is completely closed?

2. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

im also wondering about all these things

3. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

Once a month let it totally drain then fully charge it up, this keeps the battery icon accurate. But the rest of the time just give it little top ups here and there.

4. Eggtastic thread starter macrumors 6502

Eggtastic

thanks.

5. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

Hold the Top Button (Sleep Button?) until the red "slide to power off" (too lazy to check what it says) and hold the Home button.

I think it clears up RAM? Idk it does something haha

^ FAIL

6. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Buy a charger for your car/work-home so one is always close by. I have one for home, work, and my car and charging is rarely a problem.

I turn 3G off unless I am browsing and Wifi off unless at home. It helps

7. EMILinator macrumors member

The Biggest Little City In The World, USA
    Yeah, make sure to turn off 3G and WiFi when you're not using it, so it's not constantly using up battery to connect.

Lower your screen brightness too

8. ddavid macrumors regular

Don't you need 3G on to receive phone calls?

9. clearchaos macrumors regular

clearchaos

no, with 3G off the phone reverts back to EDGE. you can still make/recieve calls and texts, and use the internet.

10. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

And edge has way better talk time on it...

11. AppleiMac macrumors member

Yeah 12 hours vs. 5 hours!

12. ddavid macrumors regular

Are there any utilities or apps that turn 3G back on when you use Safari or another network application?

13. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

Unless you are using the phone crazy amounts, there is no need to do anything special.

Charge it at night, use it all day. Other than this, the battery pack on the 3G and 3Gs should not be dischanged or treated specially.

I use my phone as an alarm clock (so I only charge it for 3 h every night) and use the iPod app most of the day with moderate data usage. I typically have 25-50% battery life left at the end of the day.

I have push enabled. I have WiFi on. I have 3G on.

The biggest thing that affects battery life is the amount of signal you have. Anything less than 2 bars will drain the battery life very quickly.

14. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

you would think apple would...

15. notjustgc macrumors 6502

notjustgc

Li-ion batteries should NOT be fully discharged if it can be avoided. They perform much better with frequent, short charge patterns. So don't needlessly discharge your whole battery just for the sake of doing so... once you get down below about 20%, you're beginning to do harm to your precious battery.

However, it is recommended that you DO fully discharge and completely recharge your battery just once after every 30 full charge cycles (probably around 45-60 days, depending on your daily usage). This simply allows the battery charge sensor (the gauge) to keep itself properly calibrated.

Lastly, heat is an Li-ion battery's worst enemy. Keep it out of direct sunlight and preferably out of thick silicone cases, which insulate the heat generated under normal operating conditions.

Seriously, that's all there is to it.

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It would be nice if you could post a source for this information. Anyway, your 1st paragraph seems to conflict with your 2nd paragraph. Or are you just saying not to discharge the battery too many time during a month of use and that is okay if you only do what you wrote in the 2nd paragraph.

Since this is such an important topic, I wished they'd post a sticky on the proper way to charge the battery for the iPhone.

17. DarKeneD macrumors member

Bump for this too cause there's been a lot of conflicting opinions on this issue. Apple also recommends to do the once a month full discharge cycle, but this is the same apple that sells you a phone with a non-removable battery...

18. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Source? I've never read that it does damage before :confused: