Battery Likely for Upcoming Apple Watch Series 6 Filed in Certification Listings

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A battery likely for the upcoming Apple Watch Series 6 has been filed at the Korea Testing and Research Institute and discovered by a Twitter user @yabhishekhd.

Certification for a 1.17Wh battery with a capacity of 303.8mAh was issued on June 23 by the KTR, a Korean regulatory body that approves and tests new hardware ahead of public sale.

The battery seems to be destined for a future Apple Watch, given the shape, capacity, and model number of A2327. The current Apple Watch Series 5 has a 296mAh battery, a similar model number of A2181, and is visually identical. The battery is also listed in the filing as for "fitness," which would be an appropriate categorization for Apple Watch.

A larger 303.8mAh in a new Apple Watch would offer a larger capacity than in previous generations. This could be facilitated by the removal of the Force Touch technology layer, which was made defunct in WatchOS 7. Without this component in future Apple Watches, internal space could be made available for a slightly larger battery.

Apple claims that Apple Watch Series 5 offers an 18 hour battery life, but since this new battery is only slightly larger, it would be unlikely for the Series 6 battery life to be considerably better. Any significant battery life improvements would be more likely to come from improved power efficiency rather than a larger battery.

Earlier this week, it was rumored that Apple Watch Series 6 could feature blood oxygen monitoring, which could consume more power and account for the need for a larger battery.

‌Apple Watch‌ Series 6 models are expected for a fall launch, and are rumored to feature faster performance, better water resistance, and improved wireless transmission for faster Wi-Fi and cellular speeds.

Article Link: Battery Likely for Upcoming Apple Watch Series 6 Filed in Certification Listings

Sasparilla

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2012
Looks like expect the same charging routine since the capacity is still basically the same. Nice to see its coming along.

I wonder if the Apple Watch 6 is going to be released before the iPhone 12's?

BasicGreatGuy

macrumors G5
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I hope the new watch will have much better battery efficiency.

The rumored blood oxygen monitoring ability will be useless, if it uses up a large portion of the battery every time it is used. There is also talk of the new watch having more sleep tracking ability versus what has already been released in the beta. And last, we have the handwashing feature which will need to be left on all the time (like the noise app) to be of any practical use. All of that potential on top of all the current use features and apps we already use.

Apple better get it right or, the new watch could see a dip in sales.

satchmo

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Could greater battery life (even 2 more hours), be achieved with a more efficient processor, and further optimizing always on software?

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68020
Feb 24, 2009
Well that’s a relief. I was gonna be jealous if I had bought the last generation of 1 day battery life.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68020
Feb 24, 2009
It’s really 2.5 days with regular use honestly. Anyone seeing only 1 day is using GPS and cellular a ton. I find the battery life to be more than adequate.
Mine is usually around 50% when I go to bed. I wouldn’t get through a 2nd day. I don’t consider myself a heavy user, but I’m not going to turn off useful features to try and squeeze a 2nd day of battery life out. If I wanted to do that, I’d buy a watch with fewer features.

Last edited:

GadgetBen

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2015
London
Looks like expect the same charging routine since the capacity is still basically the same. Nice to see its coming along.

I wonder if the Apple Watch 6 is going to be released before the iPhone 12's?
I reckon they will release the new Watch before the iPhone.

In the UK we are getting streams of Apple Watch adverts on prime time TV for the current model. This is always their big last push about a month before a new version is released.

It’s so obvious, this trend happens every year across all product ranges and I don’t know why more people haven’t picked up on this yet.

BasicGreatGuy

macrumors G5
Sep 21, 2012
Well it is amazing that my Apple Watch 1.0 is still running today after all the years I have owned from the original release of the watch with the same battery. But it is time to upgrade to Apple Watch 6 this fall :)
You are long overdue.

If these forums can’t induce you to spend money on an Apple Watch, what’s good is this place in your life? Time to get with the Apple team and help us score an Apple Watch touchdown.

Reactions: alfonsog

zendzero

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2019
Every year since this thing launched I have prayed for multi-day battery life (with normal use); however, every year I continue to give my money to FitBit. Not having to remember/worry about charging every day is the thing holding me back at this point.

Least they got native sleep tracking now...the other thing I have been looking for.

Reactions: Agit21

gnomeisland

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
I was very excited about the upcoming version 6 until I heard they are cutting out force touch. I was ambivalent about it on the phone (nice but long touch works almost as well, plus that's how my iPad works so I'm accustomed to it) but I use force touch on the Watch constantly. Not sure it was worth 2% better battery capacity...

BasicGreatGuy

macrumors G5
Sep 21, 2012
I was very excited about the upcoming version 6 until I heard they are cutting out force touch. I was ambivalent about it on the phone (nice but long touch works almost as well, plus that's how my iPad works so I'm accustomed to it) but I use force touch on the Watch constantly. Not sure it was worth 2% better battery capacity...
Developers will redo the apps that heavily reply on force touch. I don’t think it will be a big deal, outside of retraining the brain and muscle memory to not engage the old behavior.

johannnn

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
303 vs 296. That’s 3% improvement. So battery will suck on Series 6 as well if we want to use it during night.

jonnysods

macrumors 603
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Well, I'm excited by this. I have a 3, and I want to give it to my son and get a 6 with LTE.
- - Post merged: - -

303 vs 296. That’s 3% improvement. So battery will suck on Series 6 as well if we want to use it during night.
What they do with the processor and software optimization will help add battery life too. Well, I'm seriously hoping it will!

johannnn

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Well, I'm excited by this. I have a 3, and I want to give it to my son and get a 6 with LTE.
- - Post merged: - -

What they do with the processor and software optimization will help add battery life too. Well, I'm seriously hoping it will!
Like including a blood oxygen sensor that will use battery 🙄

• Disagree
Reactions: NetMage

jeffreyrosenkrantz

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2020
Well it is amazing that my Apple Watch 1.0 is still running today after all the years I have owned from the original release of the watch with the same battery. But it is time to upgrade to Apple Watch 6 this fall :)
Same story here. Waiting to see what the 6 offers until I decide to upgrade to the 6 or take advantage of reduced series 5 pricing

Reactions: peterh988

jdb8167

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2008
Every year since this thing launched I have prayed for multi-day battery life (with normal use); however, every year I continue to give my money to FitBit. Not having to remember/worry about charging every day is the thing holding me back at this point.

Least they got native sleep tracking now...the other thing I have been looking for.
If your priority is multi-day battery life, you might as well stay resolved to stay with Fitbit or something similar. That isn’t coming to the Apple Watch any time soon. Physics won’t allow it.

Apple is unlikely to change the screen from OLED to something significantly lower power. They aren’t going to change their features to something lesser. They aren’t going to increase the case size to allow for a bigger battery. Nothing in the near future will allow Apple to introduce an Apple Watch with multi-day battery life. It would take a complete change in philosophy. Since Apple is by far the leader in the wearable computer category, what would their incentive be? It’s not going to happen. Get used to it.

triangletechie

Contributor
Apr 21, 2017
NC
Always on display and 32 GB of storage were 2 key features to get me to upgrade from Series 4 to Series 5. I haven't seen anything yet that would get me to upgrade to Series 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.