Battery MBP 2011

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by deejayscream, May 19, 2013.

1. deejayscream macrumors newbie

Hi guys!
    I'm trying to buy a new battery for my MBP early 2011 ( model a1382 10.9V 77,5Wh) and can't find anywhere!Not available at apple.com or other places.Can you give me some tips,trusted webshops or sellers?
    Thanks!

2. jg321 macrumors 6502

I thought the Apple price for replacing the battery was pretty reasonable? You've done well to get through 1000 cycles since 2011, I've got an early 2011 and only have around 300 cycles on it so 2/3 it's life left!

3. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Apple's cost of replacing the battery for you on that machine is more or less the same cost as buying a replacement for a machine with a user-replaceable battery. You might as well go that route. The only incovenience is that they need to take possession of your machine; but it's a pretty quick procedure.

4. The-Pro macrumors 65816

you should be able to find them on ebay
    But apple price is bout the same

5. jg321 macrumors 6502

I guessed as much. Even if the Apple price was a little more expensive, I'd probably still go the Apple route rather than eBay.

6. The-Pro macrumors 65816

yeah they all come from china somewhere, long shipping times. I'd just go to apple. Also if they screw something up its their fault not yours :D

7. deejayscream thread starter macrumors newbie

I think,i killed my battery:( I was using my MBP 2011 as a stationary computer,almost always plugged in.There is only 110 cycles,and batery life about 1 hour:( This is why I need a new one.I'm in currently in Norway.Norwegian Apple "genius" told me,they can only replace it at their service,it takes up to 3-5 days to replace it.They want charge me for battery and add aditional costs for replacing it,around 300 $! I told them,I can fix it on my own,to save some money,but it's not possible.
    Ifixit.com sells this battery for 129 $ plus shipping costs(total 160$) which is good,but they told me,battery is NOT an original Apple OEM,it would be same at Ebay,I suggest.

Is it a big diffirence between OEM and not OEM battery?Anyone?

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Did you _buy_ the MacBook in Norway?

----------

It depends. The non-Apple battery might be "third shift" - company builds batteries for Apple, then builds a few more identical ones and sells them. That would be _exactly_ the same battery that Apple would sell you. They may be rejects - Apple tests them, sends back what's no good, and the manufacturer sells them. They may be fakes - looks like Apple battery, but is totally different. Problem is, you don't know.

9. The-Pro, May 24, 2013
    Last edited: May 24, 2013

The-Pro macrumors 65816

Its most likely the exact same battery just not with Apple branding and labels. Probably manufactured with the apple ones.
    I doubt you would notice a difference. Lots of people have used these replacement batteries.

Also, you need to buy a Tri-wing screwdriver because the three screws holding the battery in place use that type of screw head. You can find those screwdrivers on amazon and ebay for a couple $. I bought one which said its for a nintento. It was a bit fine so I scraped it on a stone until the tip was gone and it was wide enough to fit the screws. (I didnt replaced my battery just took it out at one point)

Could you go into your about this mac, system information and choose power form the left column. What deos it say under condition? Also download the application coconut battery tell us what it reports for the battery health.

10. deejayscream thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally I found a certified Apple reseller,they want to sell the OEM battery for almost 200$,I think it's not that bad.But I'm still trying to figure it out,why my battery died so quick?Most of my friends are using their MBPs "corded" at all time and still after 2 years have battery health at 98-100 %...