Battery meter on 3.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmmo20, Jun 10, 2009.

1. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

Where's the battery percentage meter?
    I cannot find it anywhere on my 3G with the 3.0 GM.

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

it is only for 3G S users only.

3. jmmo20 thread starter macrumors 65816

That's absolutely silly. I can understand the need for a better processor for the voice command thing, the magnetometer etc.. but.. a % indicator? come on!!!!!!!!!!

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I doubt he's telling the truth.

5. gibbz macrumors 68030

No, he is correct.

6. mdecker79 macrumors member

I have a 100% next to my battery and I'm on 3.0 now...

Maybe because I jailbroke it prior and did a restore of my settings?

7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

8. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I can't believe that the battery percentage meter is for the iPhone 3G S only. Unless there is some crazy technology that is in the iPhone 3G S to make this work, I think that the lack of it for older iPhones is pretty ridiculous.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Just Jailbreak the thing and you'll get all the things Apple left out.

Its not like JBing is hard these days.

10. gibbz macrumors 68030

Well, jailbreakers figured it out, so I don't know why Apple can't do it.

11. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

It's quite obvious. Apple's trying to give as many reasons as possible for people to re-up their contracts and spend unnecessary money on the new phone.

Jailbreak (takes about 5 mins), install SBSettings, activate battery percentage, restore. Bam. Now you've got that oh-so-powerful feature that only the 3G S could handle.

12. bmms8 macrumors 68020

when i put 3.0 on my 3G yesterday i had the % but then i updated my AT&T carrier settings to 4.0 and after that i think i lost the indicator. either way i wish i cant wait to JB my phone because i already miss my 2.2.1 JB.

13. bmms8 macrumors 68020

apple can do it, but they choose not to, which to me is fair in their case.

14. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

so they can sell more new iphones.... beleive it or not there are some people that upgrade just for extra silly little features like this.

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its actually one of the most useful features out there.

16. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Why are people complaining? It's a new feature, if you want it then buy the new iPhone 3G S. When you bought the 3G were you promised a % indicator? No.

17. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

best of the show ;D

18. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

The point of the matter is that it doesn't take any extra hardware to take advantage of this feature. The percentages are just images inside the 3.0 software. Something like this should let all devices running the 3.0 software use.

It's not like I'm torn up about it. I don't have an iPhone, yet, but it's just the fact that it's something so small, why was it not included for everyone.

19. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I wasn't promised copy and paste or a landscape keyboard either, so to be fair, I am going to refuse to install 3.0 OS. :rolleyes:

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, it does seem silly for Apple not to include it in the 3.0 update for older iPhones.

21. CanadianMac2008 macrumors member

Write Mr. Jobs, maybe he'll answer and recognize how silly a limitation this is?

22. Pared macrumors 65816

This is the most stupid thing I've seen. They always do things like this.

Just like when the iPod touch was first released it didn't have similar applications to the iPhone like Mail or Notes.

Just stupid. Utterly stupid.

Financially it was "brilliant" for them since they charged all the early adopters for upgrading. But I still can't believe they decided on this.

23. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

there are tons of memory freeing apps that show your percentage used for your battery..
    whoever said its "one of the most important things"...is delusional!

really...because seeing an icon that dictates the amount of battery left...as opposed to seeing the percentage(which is a software calculation as well)..its not like either one of those options is going to give you COMPLETE accuracy...come on

24. macncheese8 macrumors newbie

The whole "if you don't like it go buy a 3GS" doesn't fly here.

It's not like with an ipod you can just toss it up on ebay and go buy the new one today.

With these contracts and upgrade policies and subsidies and all the rest people have no power.

The 3 features I wanted aren't available to me.

I wanted MMS...ok,wait just 3 more months!

I am OK with not having video IF the 3G wasn't capable but it IS.

Battery percentage meter. Ok,silly and trivial maybe but dammit give us 3.0 peeps SOMTHING new to look at.

Nothing else in 3.0 means a hill of beans to me.

Copy and paste. Great..I'll use that exactly once per year.

Search? Yawn.

If ATT offered 1 year contracts for iphone and I could go upgrade in 3 months..fine. Or if this were an ipod w/ no strings attatched ok..fine..because I am in control if I upgrade.

Again,it's one thing if a new feature requires resources the 3G cant offer but thats not the case here other than the 3MP cam w/ auto focus.

I know why companies do this. They leave out crap so you are enticed to buy the new version next year. It works w/ video games but with contracted phones I think it's dirty pool.

If Apple insists on offering new iphones every 12 months then either ATT needs to offer 1 year contracts as an option w/ a lesser subsidy..or....forget the subsidy all together but offer a stripped down low capactiy prepay for people who can't afford $500 or make the damn thing unlocked and forget carrier agreements.

I would pay $500 for a contract free 16gb iphone than I can come and go from as I please.

25. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

You know, I kind of just stopped reading when I got to this comment.

The 3G is capable of recording video? I take it you're referring to Cycorder, the video recording app for jailbroken phones? The one that records at nearly 1/4 the resolution of the 3GS, at half (at best!) the framerate, using a much less complex codec (MJPEG vs. MPEG-4) ... ? Right.

As for the battery percentage thing, I agree that it's pretty silly for Apple to not have offered it on the 3G. There are plenty of things that make the 3GS a worthwhile upgrade over the 3G, but a stupid battery meter shouldn't be one of them (IMO) ...