Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasonmac21

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
I lose anywhere from 3-10% every night depending on how many texts and emails I get, as well as what I have my brightness set at (since the screen lights up every time I get a message). I find this to be pretty normal.

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2011
New England
I lost about 3% a night, the nights I forgot to put in the charger before bed. :eek: I close all my multitasking apps before bed, and keep my 4G on (3-4 bars), and Wifi, and I don't fetch any data at night, along with getting no phone calls/text though the night. It's an iP5, fyi.

Hope it helped a little bit.. :D

puppers

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
Detroit, MI
What I find funny is I just came from a Android Samsung Galaxy Nexus on VZW. For the FIRST TIME ever I did not charge my phone when I went to bed last night. Had 77% and woke up at same. My android would have been dead. :rolleyes:

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
Well I turned phone into Airplane mode with Wifi off and I was still losing 1-2% an hour.

So trying something heavy handed and restoring as new, I haven't done that in a long time but willing to try anything at this point.

Its odd/frustrating when an iPad (or my wifes 4) with only wifi active will use 0% over night (maybe 1%) but the iPhone 5 can't.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
1 or 2% per night with Do Not Disturb on....no closing of any apps. I think it manages this as the backlight does not turn on when DND is switched on, this saves battery. Plus, the A6 is better for reducing standby power when the phone is not being used.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Alright so from about 1 am to 8 am (don't mock my sleeping habits :eek: ) I went from 92% to 86% in standby. Wifi on, all the same settings and signal as my earlier post. Phone is my alarm. Not quite as bad as I thought, but still worse than I think it should be, considering there are those dropping only 1% over night.

Yeah definitely time to try airplane mode.. Something is causing drain and that's so weird. What does your usage / stand by look like after you wake up? Also pahaha nothing to knock, always 3AM - whenever class starts for me!

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Yeah definitely time to try airplane mode.. Something is causing drain and that's so weird. What does your usage / stand by look like after you wake up? Also pahaha nothing to knock, always 3AM - whenever class starts for me!

My usage/standby seemed normal. An hour of usage and 9 hour standby. I don't remember exactly how long I used it after I unplugged it but sounds about right. Mostly texted and watched a few short video clips sent over MMS as well as browsing über cute animal videos on animalplanet.com. Damn kittens get me every time.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
hey people, just a quickie question....

does your iphone lose battery power when you sleep at night and your phone runs NO apps. mail set to fetch manually, screen brightness down , yada yada, notifications off.

the only thing i DO leave on is Do Not Disturb

And I am losing about 1% per hour. I'll go to sleep with the phone at 100% and wake up 8-9hrs later with it at 90%

any ideas....

THANKS

From you above settings, your phone is STILL turned on and it will use power. Even if you turn you phone off, it will/can loose some power, but more like 1% a day. 10% overnight seems like a little much but not way off.

scyap

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2010
Could you guys also mention how many signal bars you have, and if your LTE/3G is enabled?

I find my 3G to be draining battery fast. My area still doesn't have LTE yet, so my LTE is permanently disabled - for now.

• I always have DND enabled when I'm asleep,
  • all e-mails set to manual,
  • no texts/calls,
  • 20-30% brightness,
  • disabled LTE
  • 3G enabled with constant 3 signal bars
  • WiFi enabled but not connected
  • Very little notifications enabled
  • Location services enabled but none running in background or use geofence
  • All background apps terminated
  • about 9 hours of idle

On 4 : 3-5% loss [iOS5]
On 4S: 3-10% loss [iOS6]
On 5 : 3-7% loss

In airplane mode, all devices drop about 0-2%

EDIT:
Just went through the night with settings as stated above only with 3G on and lost 5%

Last edited:

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
For future reference here are my general settings of anything that might use data while I'm not physically using my phone. iPhone 5, restored and set up as new (instead of 4s backup) about 2 weeks ago. Settings reset about a week ago and then slowly set back to what I wanted.
Notifications:
  • iCloud mail set to push, 3 other accounts set to manual
  • only one thing in passbook currently and it's starbucks*
  • at night I may get a text or two, and occasionally an email on iCloud. I don't run a business or anything to get dozens of emails through the night.
  • brightness at 50% but again, DND is on from midnight til 7 and does not allow any calls to come through at all.

8135846548_e316bfc097_n.jpg

I've actually just turned the weather channel off because I hardly get any severe weather updates before I see it on the news anyway.
8135846624_d81dff15f9_n.jpg

Just showing this so you now that if I happen to use my iPad to buy anything while laying in bed it could theoretically also download on my phone. But this hasn't been the case. I don't buy music or movies on my iPad and I will 90% of the time buy iPad specific apps.
8135818855_c0a57489f7_n.jpg

*I've noticed the starbucks passbook thing popping up on my phone at home like I'm close to one even though I live at least 1.4 miles from the nearest one saved to my favorites. This could be what's causing the drain. This won't be an issue soon as my gift card will soon run out. I only added it to test it out and see how it worked. I'm not a big coffee drinker.

As suggested earlier, I will go into airplane mode tonight.

@ Scyap, as you can see in my images, this is my signal on 3G at my house. No LTE in my area either so it is permanently off as well. The wifi at my house is not that great either. I can watch it go from 3 bars to 2 bars up and down all day and in some parts of the house even down to 1 bar. But in my room, by my bed, it's pretty much 2-3 bars of wifi. Don't know if that has any effect at all.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
update: i have since replaced the phone at an APPLE store. after running some tests they said the battery shouldn't be dropping THAT much.

replacement phone #1 had an aluminum defect right on the apple logo, so they exchanged it again. My 2nd. replacement is flawless cosmetically. the genius that helped me out was awesome & super helpful. apple customer service is superb. any further problems and they said just wait for an update from apple to work out battery fixes, or get another replacement (white box), or they could order me a BRAND new phone if all else fails.

& thats why i've been buying apple products since 2001.:)

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
Mine loses a whole 1% every 8 or so hours while sitting. No airplane mode, lte on, wifi off, email accounts on manual

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
I'm confused, after a great 7 hours where the iPhone 5 only lost 1 percent in standby with everything on, it then proceeded to lose 5% in the following 7 hours when I went to bed. (The phone moved from downstairs to upstairs and by my bed the 5Ghz network does flit between 3 and 2 bars on my iPad)

The 5 lost 6% in 13 hours (18 minutes usage, DND on, Airplane Off, Wifi on with 5Ghz network, mail manual except one push account) ((though 5% of that in the last 7.5 hours with 12 minutes usage))

The old 4S lost 10% in 13 hours (1h 4m usage? With DND on, Airplane on, Wifi on, mail manual except one push account)

My wife's 4 lost 3% in 13 hours (15 minutes usage, DND not on, Airplane on, Wifi on, mail manual except one push account - it's currently 97% available, 33 minutes usage, 19h 40 standby)

Old 3GS lost 0% in 7 hours (10 minutes usage, DND not on, Airplane off but foreign sim in so no data, Wifi on)

All usage figures are with the phones untouched except for the 5 where it was woken twice more to take screenshots at 11pm and 12:47am.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Alight so I tried the Airplane mode. Did drop at all between 1 am and 7 am. I flipped it back out of airplane mode while I did my morning routine and dropped 2% in the next 30 minutes. Again, picked it up and saw that damn starbucks passbook notification on my screen even though I'm over a mile away from it. It's gotta be passbook that's draining me. I think I will be turning it off tonight and see how different things are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.