Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jcdumdumaya

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2015
So my phone was at 20% then went down to 19% while on charge, is that normal?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Yes, happens now and then. Lithium technology isn't like digital stuff, so it's not unusual for the OS to occasionally show fluctuations between percentages, especially when charging. As long as you're not getting any large jump in percentages or massive variations in general battery life, there's no cause for concern.

Reactions: Jcdumdumaya

Jcdumdumaya

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Yes, happens now and then. Lithium technology isn't like digital stuff, so it's not unusual for the OS to occasionally show fluctuations between percentages, especially when charging. As long as you're not getting any large jump in percentages or massive variations in general battery life, there's no cause for concern.
So it happens to you aswell?

Jcdumdumaya

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Occasionally. What you have to remember is that when a battery shows as being on 100% charge, it's actually more like 95% charge. The OS displays it as being 100%. Batteries aren't an exact science. As long as you're not getting massive fluctuations in percentages, you don't need to worry.
Is 2% drop still normal? Thank you

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I think your OCD is just kicking in and you really need to see a therapist. There is nothing to worry about. Is your phone working as it should? I agree with the above, you really need to turn that % off and move on.

Reactions: ohio.emt

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
So my phone was at 20% then went down to 19% while on charge, is that normal?
If you're charging it from a computer's USB port, I've found that it charges slower and sometimes the phone can drain faster than it charges. In your case, I'm guessing it was just a hiccup with how the battery is estimated. This is why Apple doesn't automatically enable the precise percentage.

I think your OCD is just kicking in and you really need to see a therapist. There is nothing to worry about. Is your phone working as it should? I agree with the above, you really need to turn that % off and move on.

That's not an extreme response at all. Be careful when you accuse others of having mental issues, folks!

Last edited:

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Everyone is reading the OP's posts incorrectly. Think about it.

Starts out with 1% drop and is worried. Told it's ok and not to worry, and given explanation why.

OP comes back asking if 2% drop is something to worry about. Again told no, not to worry.

OP comes back third time asking about 5% drop. Now OP isn't saying they observed a 5% drop, just upping the worry quotient to the 5% level.

What the OP is looking for is for someone to tell him to worry. So.......Yes you should be concerned, if I were OP I think they should worry over any percentage loss. Losing sleep, and watching phone at every opportunity is definitely called for. Charge and use, charge and use, do this repeatedly checking for any percentage drop what so ever. Check back with us in about a year, or just before you update your phone to next model and let us know how you and phone are doing.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
OP has started at least 4 threads with mostly the same line of setup questions about battery "issues"
Maybe a troll - or the OP at least lives near one, and they talk every day :D
I'd simply double over laughing at this post and simply say LMAO. But I have been advised to use more than one word answers. So I have turned my response into a full paragraph.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
If you're charging it from a computer's USB port, I've found that it charges slower and sometimes the phone can drain faster than it charges. In your case, I'm guessing it was just a hiccup with how the battery is estimated. This is why Apple doesn't automatically enable the precise percentage.

That's not an extreme response at all. Be careful when you accuse others of having mental issues, folks!
Yeah what's the matter with you people. You heard it from the Doctor. Course it's hard for us not to think it's a duck, when it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, and once cooked, tastes like a duck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.