Battery Problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WxMan, Jul 21, 2010.

1. WxMan macrumors newbie

When I first got my Macbook Pro replacement last week, when I would charge up to 100% battery, then unplug, it would drop 1% at a time as the battery was used up. Now when I charge to 100% and unplug, within 1 minute the power jumps from 100% to 96% all at once. Then from 96% it goes down 1% at a time until it runs down. I've tried to calibrate the battery. I'm not sure what else it could be. Does anyone else have this issue? Is there something wrong with my battery? Thanks! :)

2. WxMan thread starter macrumors newbie

So I'm not the only person experiencing this issue? I've tried searching for others talking about this and can't find anything. The only thing I've found is people talking about the battery capacity jumping around as opposed to current battery life that I'm experiencing. What is also weird is that when I click on the battery % at the top, it says fully charged when it's displaying 96%. That makes it even more confusing. I really think something isn't quite right. I was just curious if anyone has seen this before. Thanks.

3. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

That's normal with this new batteries, mine fluctuates between 99% and 95%

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That happens because Apple only lets the battery charges when the computer hits below 94% battery life. If its higher than 94% it wont charge, but if its lower than 94%, then it will charge all the back to 100%. It's a feature to maximize the life of the battery (according to Apple).

By the way, you're the person who spilled water on your new computer and got a new one for free? Nicee.

Hope you're enjoying it. I just got my Macbook Pro too.

5. WxMan thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, that was me. :p Thanks for the info. Very helpful. Also, thanks to everyone else for the replies. You guys rock. :D

6. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

After the computer is used for a few weeks the battery calculating will be more accurate!

7. gwinanthony1985 macrumors member

i only got 93% of the battery now....

bought it 2 weeks ago.

8. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

I've got 96% and mines new too, it physically hurts to see my battery health drop by 100+ mah after calibration but it should fluctuate and if not, apple should take care of it.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Quite normal. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

10. blunderboy macrumors 6502

This is completely normal; it's part of Apple's settings.