Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Hello! I intend to keep my 2013 MBP for a few years but I'm worrying being stuck with an old battery. While my battery status isn't that bad now, I don't want to wait to a point when it's not available anymore.

Is there a predetermined date for battery replacement at the Apple store? does it match the EOL cycle?

PS: I intend to have it service at an official Apple store and don't want to do it myself.

thanks!!

current battery state:
155 cycle count
battery manufactured date: 2014-06-06
full charge :7932mAh (original 8440)

Attachments

• battery.png
    battery.png
    99.5 KB · Views: 608

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I wouldn't worry about a battery that's still at 93-94% of "original health".
It's doing fine for a 4-year-old battery.
You'll probably get 2-3 more years out of it, particularly if you maintain it as you're doing now.

I'd just keep using it.
When it gets down to, say, 75%, then it will be time to think about replacement.
But by then, you might be thinking of a new MacBook anyway...

Reactions: TGM85

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
I wouldn't worry about a battery that's still at 93-94% of "original health".
It's doing fine for a 4-year-old battery.
You'll probably get 2-3 more years out of it, particularly if you maintain it as you're doing now.

I'd just keep using it.
When it gets down to, say, 75%, then it will be time to think about replacement.
But by then, you might be thinking of a new MacBook anyway...

You're not wrong but it's too late to replace the battery when they don't service it anymore. I just wanted to know when they will STOP replacing them. When I initially got the laptop I was getting more than 9h of used time and I barely get 4 hours anymore. At the moment I do very light use : browser, text editing. I may install another OS to see if it's high sierra that's messing with the battery. I did a High Sierra clean install the other day and I get the same behavior.

I don't think I will get much reselling it but since it's better than most laptop anyway, I will probably keep it and run Linux. It's a maxed out late 2013 (i7, dual gpu, ssd, 16gb and the display is great). The highest current macbook pro is selling for 3700$ (CDN) and it has a GB4 score of 15318 compared to mine (14367).

I see no value in upgrading now and like I said, when I'm tired, I will slap linux on it.

sprague.rod

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2017
I'm still puzzled by the logic to wait until it's not available anymore!

Given the age of the device and its battery condition today it will probably last the device out. ie in two years it will be 7 years old. Of course that's up to you, it may well last that long but I would be more inclined to spend money on a backup like a Bootable Clone with Carbon Copy Cloner from Bombich. Its reaching the age where the hard drive is more likely to fail than the battery.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
A couple of years ago, I had a "good" original battery on a 2011 MacBook pro replaced at an Apple Store. I made a genius appointment, and told them I wanted the battery replaced before it becomes Vintage (5 years after discontinuation) and I could no longer get it serviced with an official apple battery.

After running the diagnostics, and coming up as a good battery, the genius simply got his in-store manager to approve the replacement anyway after explaining that I wanted the battery replaced before the model was ineligible for service.

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Northern British Columbia
Based on EveryMac.com, and assuming you have the late 2013 MBP, it was discontinued on July 29, 2014. Apple provides hardware support for 5 years after the product is discontinued (except California and Turkey, where it's 7 years). So, Apple will provide hardware support until July 29, 2019 at the soonest. If you have the early 2013 MBP, it would be October 22, 2018.

Reactions: AppleFanatic10

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Given the age of the device and its battery condition today it will probably last the device out. ie in two years it will be 7 years old. Of course that's up to you, it may well last that long but I would be more inclined to spend money on a backup like a Bootable Clone with Carbon Copy Cloner from Bombich. Its reaching the age where the hard drive is more likely to fail than the battery.

I'm sure that my 512GB SSD has plenty of life into it.
[doublepost=1515335683][/doublepost]
Based on EveryMac.com, and assuming you have the late 2013 MBP, it was discontinued on July 29, 2014. Apple provides hardware support for 5 years after the product is discontinued (except California and Turkey, where it's 7 years). So, Apple will provide hardware support until July 29, 2019 at the soonest. If you have the early 2013 MBP, it would be October 22, 2018.

That's precisely what I was looking for, thank for the information. It's not that I need it but I wish it will keep up running for a few years.

Cheers

Attachments

• drive.png
    drive.png
    320.4 KB · Views: 194

joefoong79

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2017
Hello! I intend to keep my 2013 MBP for a few years but I'm worrying being stuck with an old battery. While my battery status isn't that bad now, I don't want to wait to a point when it's not available anymore.

Is there a predetermined date for battery replacement at the Apple store? does it match the EOL cycle?

PS: I intend to have it service at an official Apple store and don't want to do it myself.

thanks!!

current battery state:
155 cycle count

Only suggestion was save the money that you need for battery change. When it happen, it happen with no prediction. So how to worry.

kevk74

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2010
New Hampshire

thanks!!

current battery state:
155 cycle count
[doublepost=1548713833][/doublepost]My mid-2012 15” Retina JUST went “Vintage” as of Jan 1st except in MY CASE, it actually went Vintage when the 2018’s dropped but Apple did an unprecedented move and REVERSED the decision and extended it until Dec 31st 2018. I RACED my butt over to Apple Store to get essentially a new TopCase, with new backlit keyboard, nice new keys that shine through not darkened but skin and oil over the years. Add in the new trackpad that clicks like the day it was new and even might remove a few nicks in along the edge of your MBP! (That was a happy discovery for me) If you can get it sent to DEPO for the repair, I highly recommend. Plus they clean the thing out, dust etc and it’s like performing life saving maintence on your car. It will come back from DEPO feeling like it was totally reburbished. I had THREE TOPCASES on my mid-2012 15” Retina and last was actually them accidentally damaging my “e” key doing my logic board under an old program for faulty NVidia 650m chips and I happened to have gotten my mid-2012 as a refurb from Apple in 2014 and despite ending in 2016, program technically convered Logic Board replacement 4 yrs from purchase and I’d had mine in TWICE during that time complaining of issues and was given TopCases when likely I’d needed both. So even though it was out only month or so from 4 yr mark, I came armed with evidence GPU panics and Kernal Panics and convinced powers that be it should of been performed during prior repairs as well, so I ended up with BOTH new TopCase after they broke my “e” key doing the program repair! Only thing not new on my mid-2012 15” is my DISPLAY which is pixel perfect

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I had an interesting experience yesterday with my wife's macbook air that is somewhat relevant to this discussion.

I made an appointment at the applestore for another issue (accidental screen damage to my iPad pro under AppleCare +) and since I was going to be there anyway I made on for my wife's 2013 MacBook air. I wanted to get the battery replace while apple repair was still available, so I could get a genuine battery.

Previously, I ran coconut battery app, it showed an 84% lifespan, and that the battery was a couple of weeks older than my purchase date.

The genius ran his diagnostics, it showed an 88% battery health. He then said that apple will not replace a battery (even with me paying the cost) unless is shows a failure/end of lifespan. I countered with what would happen when the computer became end of life (April) and the battery degraded a month afterward, I would be unable to get a genuine battery replacement and be stuck with an eBay chinese battery. I further pointed out if I brought an iPhone or mac to apple with one of those batteries, they would hand it back and refuse to service it, because they don't trust them not to explode, yet that is what they want me to use when they refuse to replace the battery 3 months from now and i then need a new one.

Anyway, going after a couple of rounds with this guy, he went to his manager and his manager had no issues with a battery replacement. After he came back and told me that apple would perform the battery replacement over his objections, but he said I wasn't being environmental because the battery is the most toxic part of the computer, so I should not preform the replacement just hope that the battery will last several more years.

(I played nice, but I wondered if apple just throws the toxic batteries into a barrel and lights it on fire out back, or if they recycle it which would capture and hazardous materials, something they can't guarantee a third party repair place would do. It should be more environmentally responsible to have apple take custody of the used battery for recycling, vs leaving consumers to the mercy of third party shops.)

(Oh, and he said a computer lasting 10 years isn't realistic anyway, despite not knowing or asking the tasks my wife uses it for.)

Anyway, I am now waiting for the part to arrive so I can get the battery service performed, but I didn't expect all the static I received with my request to replace an almost 6 year old battery with a fresh one at apple.

I may reach out to apple's executive relations team, after the repair is completed, although I doubt they will care much about what happened or how they should extend battery repairs on their computers to a more realistic lifespan.

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
I had an interesting experience yesterday with my wife's macbook air that is somewhat relevant to this discussion.

I made an appointment at the applestore for another issue (accidental screen damage to my iPad pro under AppleCare +) and since I was going to be there anyway I made on for my wife's 2013 MacBook air. I wanted to get the battery replace while apple repair was still available, so I could get a genuine battery.

Previously, I ran coconut battery app, it showed an 84% lifespan, and that the battery was a couple of weeks older than my purchase date.

The genius ran his diagnostics, it showed an 88% battery health. He then said that apple will not replace a battery (even with me paying the cost) unless is shows a failure/end of lifespan. I countered with what would happen when the computer became end of life (April) and the battery degraded a month afterward, I would be unable to get a genuine battery replacement and be stuck with an eBay chinese battery. I further pointed out if I brought an iPhone or mac to apple with one of those batteries, they would hand it back and refuse to service it, because they don't trust them not to explode, yet that is what they want me to use when they refuse to replace the battery 3 months from now and i then need a new one.

Anyway, going after a couple of rounds with this guy, he went to his manager and his manager had no issues with a battery replacement. After he came back and told me that apple would perform the battery replacement over his objections, but he said I wasn't being environmental because the battery is the most toxic part of the computer, so I should not preform the replacement just hope that the battery will last several more years.

(I played nice, but I wondered if apple just throws the toxic batteries into a barrel and lights it on fire out back, or if they recycle it which would capture and hazardous materials, something they can't guarantee a third party repair place would do. It should be more environmentally responsible to have apple take custody of the used battery for recycling, vs leaving consumers to the mercy of third party shops.)

(Oh, and he said a computer lasting 10 years isn't realistic anyway, despite not knowing or asking the tasks my wife uses it for.)

Anyway, I am now waiting for the part to arrive so I can get the battery service performed, but I didn't expect all the static I received with my request to replace an almost 6 year old battery with a fresh one at apple.

I may reach out to apple's executive relations team, after the repair is completed, although I doubt they will care much about what happened or how they should extend battery repairs on their computers to a more realistic lifespan.

actually Apple batteries are manufactured by Chinese company Simplo Technology

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
I would be unable to get a genuine battery replacement and be stuck with an eBay chinese battery. I further pointed out if I brought an iPhone or mac to apple with one of those batteries, they would hand it back and refuse to service it, because they don't trust them not to explode
I replaced the battery on my mid-2012 retina myself with Chinese Ebay battery, its easier than it looks. And gave it immediately to my mother-in-law. Maybe I'm unlucky but no explosion so far :(, it has been over two years already.
After he came back and told me that apple would perform the battery replacement over his objections, but he said I wasn't being environmental because the battery is the most toxic part of the computer, so I should not preform the replacement just hope that the battery will last several more years.
It is on the other hand totally environmentally responsible to trash half of the whole computer because it needs a new ribbon cable or key cap. Or trash the whole thing if you only need more RAM or storage space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.