Battery taking a hit on 4.2.2

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by GC251114, Jan 24, 2018.

1. GC251114 macrumors 6502

Updated last night about 18:30 & first thing I’m noticing on my Series 2 is battery drain. Now may not sound considerable , but I’m comparing to pre 18:30 yesterday.

Currently at 78% (100% off charge at 07:30 this morning)

Ordinarily with same amount of use by this time of day I’d be low 90%

As I said not huge , but anyone else noticing a slight hit with this latest update ?

2. charlyee macrumors 6502

charlyee

I updated it last night as well probably around the same time as you. I can't say I am noticing a hit This morning after 12.5 hours off the charger it is at 85%, which I think is normal.

A better test will be tonight around 8:00 - 8:30, when I typically have between 50-55% battery left.

I have a series 3, don't know if that makes a difference.

3. wvmontani macrumors newbie

I'm noticing a similar trend. After updating last night around 19:00, my S3 was at 100%. Now, just over 14 hours later, I'm down to 81%. As you mentioned, this may not sound like much, but I typically would be in the low 90s at this point.

4. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Updated to 4.2.2 last night (wow those updates take awhile). Went to bed, overnight seemed fine, this morning I left my phone at home and my wife drove it to my work on her way to work (nice of her) --- but the watch REFUSED to see the phone no matter what I did. I'd open Bluetooth on watch and phone and watch would see phone for a few seconds, then soon as I closed everything, watch said no phone. So just rebooted both and watch sees phone now.

My only problem with 4.2.2 so far - but I've never left my phone home since having my watch so... lol. Hopefully this is just a one time thing.

Battery life seems normal to me - charging watch to 100 and will see tonight too.

5. igrover macrumors regular

igrover

Same here - upgraded in the early afternoon and noticed last night the watch battery was down quite a bit as compared to normal. Now today also noticing the battery is down quite a bit from normal again.

6. Shadow%20Mac macrumors 6502

SS SB S3 42 mm here. I’m noticing the same trend as you guys. My moms Aluminium Space Grey 38mm which is not even a month old is seeing an even more serious drop. My full charged watch is down to 55 by end of day when it’s usuall 65-70. My moms is down to 42.

7. mfram macrumors 65816

Maybe the battery measurement was changed. I have an S2 SBSS, did the upgrade last night and left it on the charger overnight. I took it off the charger about 5 hours ago. My battery still says 100%!

8. BigMcGuire, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018

BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Yep, I charged this morning after a restart (got 4.2.2 yesterday) - 6am charged to full 100%. It's 1:22pm and still 100%... normally I'd be at 95% or so. Kinda whacky! I just turned on Raise to Wake because if battery is going to be this good... I can look at the pretty Utility watch face more often! :p

Edit: It still says 100%... I'm starting to wonder if it's stuck there??? lol.

Edit2: About 8 hours later, 99%. wow.

9. charlyee macrumors 6502

charlyee

Wait, now I am confused are you guys saying the battery life has improved?

10. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Mine definitely has, but I had to restart this morning because for whatever reason my watch could not see my phone next to it (first time ever). So maybe it was the restart of the watch? But yeah, it just dropped to 99% 8 hours later.

11. charlyee macrumors 6502

charlyee

Hmm, maybe I should restart mine. I am at 65% after 19 hours and 43 mins. I am thinking that’s about the same or maybe a tad better, will wait another 3 hours or so and see where it is at. I will restart the watch before I put it on the charger.

PS: I have always had Raise to Wake enabled so I can see “my pretty Utility watch face” at the flick of a wrist. Lol

12. GC251114 thread starter macrumors 6502

Certainly not improved for me.

Following on from my opening post , I’m now at 58%. This time normally it was about 70+%

As I said , not considerable loss since updating but about 10-12% has gone somewhere.

Cheers

13. mfram macrumors 65816

It's now 7 hours for me being off the charger and my watch still says 100%. I'm guessing they changed the battery scale or something. I know the watch is doing Heart Rate Measurements in the background.

Feels like gas gauges in cars that read "full" for long periods of time then drop off to "empty" very quickly.

14. GC251114 thread starter macrumors 6502

100% still after 7 hrs !!

You sure it’s actually switched on ?

That’s crazy battery life. Now I know who’s taken my 10-12%

15. charlyee macrumors 6502

charlyee

Ok I just plugged mine in, it was at 55% which is on the high end of normal.

I cycled power before plugging it in, let’s see what effect if any it has on the battery.

16. Mikeeee macrumors 6502

Mikeeee

Mine has performed worse in the last few days but I can't rule other other things before I accept it's a problem with the latest update. I've also recently added Carrot, Autosleep and HeartWatch. So the first thing I've done is uninstalled them from the watch, rebooted and then fully charged the watch. I'll run the watch in Theatre Mode. Typically I've gotten to about 80% after 24 hours. I'll see what happens here.

17. JackieInCo Suspended

My watch I am currently wearing is a series 3, 11 hrs 33 minutes standby, 1 hr 52 minutes usage with 83% left. Seems to be what was before I updated. I have two other series 3 watches that I updated as well and I expect that they'll most likely be what they were before I updated them also.

18. BigMcGuire, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018

BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

After spending 8 hours at 100% yesterday it only took three hours to get to the low 90%. Overnight used 10% (normally 3-6%). Woke up at 79%. Not terrible but I used to be able to end a non-activity day in the low 90% range sleep and wake up in high 80%. So I’ll take back the better battery comment. I guess I need to monitor this for a few days. Still happy with 79% for one day and a night.

Guess I’m seeing 10% less like the other posters. Watch is faster and easier to enter unlock pin. So I’m happy. 10% less could be because I was checking it more because of the update.

Edit: (Side Note) Yesterday 6:30am I charged to TRUE 100% (till it stopped charging, usually I stop at 100%, so definitely a little more battery usage than normal). Still acceptable to me though.

19. charlyee macrumors 6502

charlyee

I have the exact same this morning, so I am guessing the update had little to no effect on my battery.

I have AutoSleep and I typically lose 8-9% overnight and that hasn’t changed either.

20. GC251114 thread starter macrumors 6502

What tips does anyone have to drain their watch battery faster. I’m currently on 25% & wish it to drain so I can charge too 100% & test this more closely.

All I get from google is how to save battery life , where I want the opposite at the moment & want to drain it.

Cheers

21. gsucyclist macrumors regular

gsucyclist

Mine is really bad after update. I had about 10% before I went to bed last night when I usually have about 60+%

22. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Don't need to drain it, just use any watch face that lets you put the battery on the Bottom row so you can see when it is Battery Charged vs Charging. Cuz when it hits 100% it can charge for an hour or more to get to true 100%. (I use Utility watch face and battery on bottom). Draining Li-Ion to 0% is hard on the battery.

But what drains my watch fast, raise to wake, flashlight, and doing calls on it.

23. charlyee macrumors 6502

charlyee

I have added the battery widget on the phone so I look at that to see the status of the watch battery.

I have a few things on the widget screen that I use regularly so this is nothing extra.

To me it’s easier than going into the watch or using up a spot on the watch face.

Just my 2 cents.

24. GC251114 thread starter macrumors 6502

Same here , always used battery widget on phone. Swipe to the right & there for me. Likewise , don’t like using up a watch complication for this on my Utility Watch Face.

Incidentally.

Top left = Date
    Top right = Time
    Middle = Weather
    Bottom left = Alarm clock
    Bottom middle = Spark Email
    Bottom right = Messages (now it has unread message number)

Cheers

25. charlyee macrumors 6502

charlyee

Nice!
    Which Utility Watch Face do you have? Mine can only have Date in the middle and only has Bottom Middle no left or right.

Top Left - sun rise/set
    Top Right - CARROT⁵
    Middle - Date
    Bottom - Activity.