Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GC251114

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2015
Nice!
Which Utility Watch Face do you have? Mine can only have Date in the middle and only has Bottom Middle no left or right.

Top Left - sun rise/set
Top Right - CARROT⁵
Middle - Date
Bottom - Activity.

I’m having a crazy moment. I meant Modular face not Utility.

I use Carrot weather too.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I can't say I noticed any difference, but I didn't monitor it very closely after the update.

It's possible that the Watch isn't using the battery differently, but rather that whatever algorithm is baked into wOS has been changed.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Mikeeee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
I have the exact same this morning, so I am guessing the update had little to no effect on my battery.

I have AutoSleep and I typically lose 8-9% overnight and that hasn’t changed either.

Are you using Heart Watch as well?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I use Autosleep and Heart Watch. Though I was under the understanding that it wasn't an increase in battery usage because it's the iOS app that just records what the AW already records on its own, then draws conclusions on that data. So shouldn't be extra battery usage - but I'm no way an expert on this.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I use Autosleep and Heart Watch. Though I was under the understanding that it wasn't an increase in battery usage because it's the iOS app that just records what the AW already records on its own, then draws conclusions on that data. So shouldn't be extra battery usage - but I'm no way an expert on this.

I do also, and think the same. If I had to guess, I would guess something related to how the software/OS is reporting battery charge state. But that's a WAG.
[doublepost=1516912792][/doublepost]
Updated last night about 18:30 & first thing I’m noticing on my Series 2 is battery drain. Now may not sound considerable , but I’m comparing to pre 18:30 yesterday.

Currently at 78% (100% off charge at 07:30 this morning)

Ordinarily with same amount of use by this time of day I’d be low 90%

As I said not huge , but anyone else noticing a slight hit with this latest update ?

A tangent on your question that might be related. I felt like the update process for 4.2.2 took FOREVER, much longer than earlier updates. Am I just mis-remembering, or did you feel the same way?

I'm sort of wondering, if this really was a massive update (even if the features weren't changed much), whether that might support my idea that it's the reported charge rather than the actual charge level that's changed from 4.2.1?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Second day of 4.2.2 --- yeah it's staying at 100% for a LONG time. Charged at 6:30am and it's 12:44pm now - still at 100%. Like @newellj said - probably not much of a change, just a difference of how it reads the battery state. I really like the stay at 100% for a long time.

Felix Bomar

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2017
Give the watch four oro five days after an update before you evaluate battery usage. Quite often each update requires the watch to do some rearranging of memory which uses battery in the background. Once this is done, you can evaluate battery life.

GC251114

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2015
I do also, and think the same. If I had to guess, I would guess something related to how the software/OS is reporting battery charge state. But that's a WAG.
[doublepost=1516912792][/doublepost]

A tangent on your question that might be related. I felt like the update process for 4.2.2 took FOREVER, much longer than earlier updates. Am I just mis-remembering, or did you feel the same way?

I'm sort of wondering, if this really was a massive update (even if the features weren't changed much), whether that might support my idea that it's the reported charge rather than the actual charge level that's changed from 4.2.1?

Now you see mine was the opposite. All previous updates for me took an age , 4.2.2 was downloaded & updated & working within 20-25 mins for me.

Mikeeee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Mine has performed worse in the last few days but I can't rule other other things before I accept it's a problem with the latest update. I've also recently added Carrot, Autosleep and HeartWatch. So the first thing I've done is uninstalled them from the watch, rebooted and then fully charged the watch. I'll run the watch in Theatre Mode. Typically I've gotten to about 80% after 24 hours. I'll see what happens here.

After doing the above plus a re-pairing my watch is now at 91% after 15 hours. So clearly the update is not effecting battery performance.

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
It's now 7 hours for me being off the charger and my watch still says 100%. I'm guessing they changed the battery scale or something. I know the watch is doing Heart Rate Measurements in the background.

Feels like gas gauges in cars that read "full" for long periods of time then drop off to "empty" very quickly.

jajaja that happened to me once.

GC251114

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2015
Ok guys , morning update for you & don’t seem good in terms of battery loss.

Drained watch yesterday & recharged. After reaching charge at 22:15 went to bed at 22:30 with full 100%. This is about usual time for me.

Nothing different. Theatre Mode activated whilst wearing through night.

Alarm off at 06:25. Check battery & reading 79%.

So lost 21% in 8hrs. No activity , no notifications lighting up screen etc , yet lost 21%.

Now with exact same behaviour pre 4.2.2 I’d be on early 90’s in the morning.

So as I said yesterday , certainly a hit for me so far on this update. 10-12% going somewhere.

Cheers

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Mikeeee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Ok guys , morning update for you & don’t seem good in terms of battery loss.

Drained watch yesterday & recharged. After reaching charge at 22:15 went to bed at 22:30 with full 100%. This is about usual time for me.

Nothing different. Theatre Mode activated whilst wearing through night.

Alarm off at 06:25. Check battery & reading 79%.

So lost 21% in 8hrs. No activity , no notifications lighting up screen etc , yet lost 21%.

Now with exact same behaviour pre 4.2.2 I’d be on early 90’s in the morning.

So as I said yesterday , certainly a hit for me so far on this update. 10-12% going somewhere.

Cheers

I don't think it's the update that's causing this.. I think this happens sometimes after doing an update. Probably a process that's not terminating properly. One way to tell is by checking your usage and standby times. If the watch is performing correctly your standby time should be much higher. If not you'll see a usage time that is uncharacteristically high. For example:

Usage: 3 hours
Standby: 4 hours

The screenshot below is mine. Notice the very low usage time.

IMG_2296990F0AA1-1.jpeg

So far whenever this problem has come up I've tried rebooting. If that doesn't work re-pairing. This has corrected the issue every time. I'm now at 24 hours and my battery is @ 79%. Two days go I was having the same issue as you. If the update has not effected my watch it stands to reason that your watch should perform equally as well.

Last edited:

GC251114

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2015
I don't think it's the update that's causing this.. I think this happens sometimes after doing an update. Probably a process that's not terminating properly. One way to tell is by checking your usage and standby times. If the watch is performing correctly your standby time should be much higher. If not you'll see a usage time that is uncharacteristically high. For example:

Usage: 3 hours
Standby: 4 hours

So far whenever this problem has come up I've tried rebooting. If that doesn't work re-pairing. This has corrected this issue every time. I'm now at 24 hours and my battery is @ 79%. Two days go I was having the same issue as you. If the update has not effected my watch it stands to reason that your watch should perform equally as well.

Cheers @Mikeeee I’ll check those settings & keep an eye on it & follow your advice if I don’t see any improvement.

As I mentioned at the start , it isn’t considerable but I guess when you’re used too steak , why then accept off cuts ......

.....prob not the best analogy but you know what I mean

Cheers

Just checked

Usage - 15 mins

Standby - 1 Hour 42 mins

Mikeeee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Cheers @Mikeeee I’ll check those settings & keep an eye on it & follow your advice if I don’t see any improvement.

As I mentioned at the start , it isn’t considerable but I guess when you’re used too steak , why then accept off cuts ......

.....prob not the best analogy but you know what I mean

Cheers

Just checked

Usage - 15 mins

Standby - 1 Hour 42 mins

That looks pretty good. Your battery should have a better cycle this time.

GC251114

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2015
That looks pretty good. Your battery should have a better cycle this time.

Well you’re pretty spot on with regards to it being better.

Took off charge at 08:00 as per the norm st 100%

The usual amount (for me) of emails , messages , tap to wake etc & 5 hrs later .......still 100% !

I have no doubt once it hits 99% there will be a slow trickle southwards , however this is currently better than yesterday.

Strange this battery lark !

charlyee

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2011
Wisconsin
@Mikeeee I had the usage time and standby time being the same happen on my 7+ after the one of the recent updates, it went away after the next charge.

Thanks for clarifying why this happens.
a42c152ff516d82119006d58feab6247.jpg

Back to the watch battery.

Looks like I have settled on 85% after 12.5 hrs, 3 days in a row. I did have a tad bit more usage this morning, had the timer running for 1.5 hours and replied to a few posts on WhatsApp (my first time replying from the watch btw)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikeeee

infinitejest

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2016
Orange County, CA
My Series 1 is basically dead since a week or so.
I can barely make it through the day on a full charge.
Usage time is insanely high - 3 hrs, 48 mins, when all I do is checking a couple of notifications.
And I'm at 0% after 11 hrs, 58 mins standby time... seriously?
I've already tried rebooting, uninstalling all apps, un-pairing and re-pairing - nothing seems to help.
Strangely enough, I had the same problem a year ago, never figured out what the problem was. One day I woke up and boom... I had amazing battery life. Not sure if that's gonna happen again this time. It just sucks so bad wearing this thing at the moment.

IMG_0819.png
IMG_0816.jpg

^ whatever that's supposed to mean...

Mikeeee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
My Series 1 is basically dead since a week or so.
I can barely make it through the day on a full charge.
Usage time is insanely high - 3 hrs, 48 mins, when all I do is checking a couple of notifications.
And I'm at 0% after 11 hrs, 58 mins standby time... seriously?
I've already tried rebooting, uninstalling all apps, un-pairing and re-pairing - nothing seems to help.
Strangely enough, I had the same problem a year ago, never figured out what the problem was. One day I woke up and boom... I had amazing battery life. Not sure if that's gonna happen again this time. It just sucks so bad wearing this thing at the moment.

View attachment 748691 View attachment 748692
^ whatever that's supposed to mean...

Did you install a new app before the problem started? If so, uninstall the app reboot or possibly even re-pair after uninstalling the new app.

Kermit262

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Central Ohio
Seat of the pants observation is that battery life has significantly improved with this update. Very pleased! Thanks Apple for continuing to improve this great watch.

infinitejest

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2016
Orange County, CA
Did you install a new app before the problem started? If so, uninstall the app reboot or possibly even re-pair after uninstalling the new app.

Haven’t changed anything on the watch for 4 months or so. Battery basically got bad over night.
And I’ve tried all that already. I’ll call Apple next week if it won’t get better over the weekend.

simistef

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2018
Bucharest, Romania
I am experiencing the same problems after 4.2.2 update. I am owning a S3 watch 3 months old, and with every ON, and i mean everything (HeartRate, RaiseToWake, Talking when possible from the watch, Shazaming exclusively from the watch, Autosleep, Waterminder, etc etc).

Before the 4.2.2 update i was getting after 48h charge on a 20-30% battery. Now post update my battery dies after 30 hours, with most of the things disabled.

Now, immediately after the 4.2.2 update something bad happened. I was having my battery at around 27% and i got notiifications of under 10% battery. Wehn looking into the watch after notification, indeed the battery was 10%. Dida watch restart and back to 27%. I did this 4-5 times, until i decided to let it to 0%.

After this, as said very bad battery. It happened for the first time since i own the watch. Did all pairing, un-pairing, reset to default, etc...but nothing.

Guess it's another type of update that will push us to move to a new Apple Watch 4 ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.