Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
With Mafia III crashing way too often, at the end of a mission and such, on my Xbox One, I'm going to give it a break.

However, I'm curious, those that have played Battlefield 1 or Call of Duty Infinity Warfare, which is better to buy?

After spending $59.99 on a poor Mafia III (due to lock ups and crashing to the home screen), am a little nervous to spending another $59.99, so soon.

Go...

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
I remember spending 4 guilders on the official floppy with Doom on it.
It's crazy how much we invest in making a game now, and what we spoil our kids with these days.
My playstation one came with 4 games, for 300 guilders, and now that buys you the console, maybe, with a game included. 4 games later and you're talking a mac mini.

I completely understand piracy.

That said, I always had more fun with battlefield than call of duty.

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
For campaign or multiplayer?

For campaign, I've heard CoD:IW and BF1 are both pretty good. You might choose based on setting, WW1 or Futuristic.
Both campaigns are short, though, so if that is all you are interested in, consider renting these games.

For multiplayer, do you prefer 6v6, small arena, twitchy fast TTK where k/d ratio is most important? Than CoD.
Or do you prefer large scale 32v32, slower paced squad based strategic combat with vehicles, where meeting an objective is most important? Than Battlefield.

I've played, liked and bought BF1 (MP only, haven't tried campaign). I have not played CoD:IW, and will probably skip it.

Reactions: circatee

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
For campaign or multiplayer?

For campaign, I've heard CoD:IW and BF1 are both pretty good. You might choose based on setting, WW1 or Futuristic.
Both campaigns are short, though, so if that is all you are interested in, consider renting these games.

For multiplayer, do you prefer 6v6, small arena, twitchy fast TTK where k/d ratio is most important? Than CoD.
Or do you prefer large scale 32v32, slower paced squad based strategic combat with vehicles, where meeting an objective is most important? Than Battlefield.

I've played, liked and bought BF1 (MP only, haven't tried campaign). I have not played CoD:IW, and will probably skip it.

...thanks for the info. A lot of code for me to decipher, but
I just like a simple shoot 'em up, with a little challenge (I'm challenged enough at work; I'm an IT Manager).

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
...thanks for the info. A lot of code for me to decipher, but
I just like a simple shoot 'em up, with a little challenge (I'm challenged enough at work; I'm an IT Manager).

Sorry, too much video game lingo. TTK means Time To Kill. It means between time you spawn to time you get killed. It's generally pretty short in CoD games. K/D is kill/death ratio, and is typically the main goal/metric of how well you do in the game. You want to kill more people than kill you. Team with most kills over given period of time or first team to 100 kills wins.
CoD is typically 6 vs. 6 players, and is very fast paced.

In Battelfield, the main objective is typically capture the flag for points. Team with most points at end of match wins (ie, team that holds most teritorry for longest wins). While there are smaller 6v6 vs modes, most popular modes are 32 vs 32, with teams broken into squads of 4-5 players.
Since the maps are larger and objective based, game play is generally more strategic and slower paced than CoD.

If it helps any, BF1 (or Titanfall 2, another good FPS very similar to CoD but with Mechs) is on Flash pre-black-friday sale through Thursday at Target online or in store with Cartwheel app for $35...

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I vote for BF1. Taking a looong break from COD.

I heard that the Titanfall2 campaign is said to be the best right now - COD and especially BF are rather short and mostly the same. Maybe enjoyable if never played one before but it's extremely schematic if you played one or more entries of the franchise before. Especially BF1 has an extremely short campaign - well made but overall think of a tutorial for the multiplayer. COD is your usual hollywood bombast by the numbers - but at least takes longer. Not for me though.

I might add to mandoman's posts, who makes good points all around, that BF also has smaller modes. I almost exclusively play 10vs10 (or 12vs12, not sure right now) Team Deathmatch or Capture the Flag (Domination) as those matches last 5-10mins tops and the larger Operations take easily half an hour - great fun to be had there and also extremely epic (something you will never get outta COD) but I like my matches more short.

BF is way more grim and gritty - Cod is colourful and poppy in comparison. You do have double jumps and wall-running nowadays so eventually not that easy if you never played it before, no idea. BF1 is more basic but overall more complex - but not as complex (and complicated) as it used to be.

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
I heard that the Titanfall2 campaign is said to be the best right now - COD and especially BF are rather short and mostly the same.

I rented and played part of Titanfall2 campaign. It's got a lot of platforming, wall running, and puzzle elements to it. Some might love that, I got a little frustrated myself.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I rented and played part of Titanfall2 campaign. It's got a lot of platforming, wall running, and puzzle elements to it. Some might love that, I got a little frustrated myself.

No idea! Just wanted to say that I heard that plenty were saying the campaign was great - if that is what one is interested in. Although I'd rather look at Wolfenstein or Doom regarding that department.

I got burned by the first Titanfall - never again. I also got burned by COD so not again until they get their stuff together.

Maybe OP should give a bit more info about his/her FPS background. Because there are a lot of good ones out there to choose from.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
...thanks for all the feedback.
I come from the Tomb Raider ere, 1995! And with that, I'm into games that I need to think (a little, not too much), but be able to blast a few things, from time to time.

Thus far I've owned and played:
Tomb Raider: all of them, really enjoyed playing all, especially the last one
Fifa: all of them, except Fifa17 (simply can't be bothered)
Halo 3: I finished it (it was okay, for me!)
Halo 5: Only played it for about an hour; wasn't fond of it
Assassin's Creed Black Flag: Only because it came with my Xbox One. Wasn't a fan
GTAV: I loved it
The Division: loved it (forgot to add it to this list on 10th Nov)
Mafia III: still playing it; 2.5GB update was installed yesterday. Let's see if it can stop freezing, and such

Thus looking for something new...

Last edited by a moderator:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Thus far I've owned and played:
Tomb Raider: all of them, really enjoyed playing all, especially the last one
Fifa: all of them, except Fifa17 (simply can't be bothered)
Halo 3: I finished it (it was okay, for me!)
Halo 5: Only played it for about an hour; wasn't fond of it

Assassin's Creed Black Flag: Only because it came with my Xbox One. Wasn't a fan
GTAV: I loved it
Mafia III: still playing it; 2.5GB update was installed yesterday. Let's see if it can stop freezing, and such

Battlefield 1, then...

a great review...

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
No idea! Just wanted to say that I heard that plenty were saying the campaign was great - if that is what one is interested in. Although I'd rather look at Wolfenstein or Doom regarding that department.

I got burned by the first Titanfall - never again. I also got burned by COD so not again until they get their stuff together.

Maybe OP should give a bit more info about his/her FPS background. Because there are a lot of good ones out there to choose from.

Titanfall2 got great reviews, not saying it's bad, just not my thing. With the sales going on (it will be as low as $27 @WALMART on black friday), I'm considering giving it another chance. However, I think this game is struggling to meet sales expectations going up against Battlefield and Call of Duty. That ultimately means Multiplayer might become a ghost-town sooner rather than later if sales don't pick up significantly soon. I don't know what EA was thinking releasing TF2 against it's own BF1 and the juggernaught that is CoD. That's really too bad, because the developer Respawn, originally CoD developers that created some of the best games in that franchise, deserves better.
[doublepost=1478809324][/doublepost]

If you love Tomb Raider so much, it sounds like you need to pick up a PS4 and play the Uncharted Series.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I thinking I may want to try BF1, but I'm not a multiplayer person, and I'm not sure I'm willing spend that much money right now on a game that may not have a strong campaign model. I've heard mixed reviews regarding the single player options

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
That ultimately means Multiplayer might become a ghost-town sooner rather than later if sales don't pick up significantly soon. I don't know what EA was thinking releasing TF2 against it's own BF1 and the juggernaught that is CoD.

I've bought Titanfall (+Seasonpass :oops:) in a sale some months after release and all I've found where terribly matched games mostly with some die-hards and a brief but annoying tutorial beforehand. I was so lost and those bs loadouts didn't help. So clearly some people utterly enjoyed it and it definitely found it's niche I guess. Which clearly isn't for me so didn't even bother to read reviews about T2.

I thinking I may want to try BF1, but I'm not a multiplayer person, and I'm not sure I'm willing spend that much money right now on a game that may not have a strong campaign model. I've heard mixed reviews regarding the single player options

Then rent it. Campaign can easily be done in 1-2 sittings without rushing. Nobody who isn't interested in multiplayer should pay $60 for this (not even if you don't care about money because you have too much of it.) - it's just way too short. Like ~5h short.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
I'm more of a single player gamer, even online stuff, I stay away from. In the past, playing Fifa online, I always felt as if others were cheating. Not sure how, but, it always seemed as if I my players were running so much slower than the other team.

Weird. Alas, I digress...
[doublepost=1478870026][/doublepost]...at this rate, I'm almost tempted to restart The Division again. Loved it!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Then rent it. Campaign can easily be done in 1-2 sittings without rushing. Nobody who isn't interested in multiplayer should pay $60 for this (not even if you don't care about money because you have too much of it.) - it's just way too short. Like ~5h short.
I'll get my hands on it sooner or later, just not for 60 dollars.

I'm in no hurry, so I can sit back and wait, I have plenty of games that I currently have that I'm still enjoying :)

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
I remember spending 4 guilders on the official floppy with Doom on it.
It's crazy how much we invest in making a game now, and what we spoil our kids with these days.
My playstation one came with 4 games, for 300 guilders, and now that buys you the console, maybe, with a game included. 4 games later and you're talking a mac mini.

I completely understand piracy.

That said, I always had more fun with battlefield than call of duty.

on the opposite side though, in the 80s we spent much more. I remember for my apple 400, games were £40 for space invaders and asteroids, in 1980. Now that would be £192...ive just bought rise of the tomb raider for £38.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Yeah.... if you aren't interested in MP, don't spend much on BF1. The single player is not really even a story, other than it is about WWI. It is more a series of short stories, each about one person's experiences during a certain phase of the war. These short stories are not linked to one another in any way other than they all take place in WWI. MP is really the core of BF1.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
on the opposite side though, in the 80s we spent much more. I remember for my apple 400, games were £40 for space invaders and asteroids, in 1980. Now that would be £192...ive just bought rise of the tomb raider for £38.

yeah, looking at an old Sears Christmas Catalog from 1978, Atari carts were $20.

That's $66 in today's dollars, so $60 retail for a game really isn't outrageous...

Just got Titanfall 2 on sale for $35, though... :)

Fozzybadfeet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2009
BF1 has a really entertaining story mode. Graphics are great and you could tell EA really took the time to create the game using the gaming engine (They should have done that with BF4)

IW is alright...Still not down with the concept of futuristic warfare...But whatever. I really purchased IW for the Modern Warfare Remaster...and with rumors of some guns from MW2 being added to the game, is only confirmation that I'll continue to play the Remaster over IW.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
You know, when you break down the cost of the games like that, it isn't too bad. My issue is after paying $59.99, and the game is simply awful or full of bugs...

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
I've also put these two games on hold (maybe my missus will buy me one!). I'm back playing The Division. With the update of 1.4, and 1.5 pending, I'm getting used to it again. Had to relearn how to shoot - LOL and still learning how to best use my weapons, skills, talents and equipped items.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.