Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CTMoore

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
I have a 2011 iMac with i5 and 6970m card 1gb with 12GB of RAM and I can't get this stupid game to run over 21fps outdoors and around 45-40 in doors no matter what I change the settings too. I'm running the 11.8 preview drivers since that's all I could get to actually install.

What am I doing wrong here?

Rithem

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
Repost from another thread...

It's running great for me! Very smooth so far, but I haven't tried messing with the settings so it's all set to low and 1280x800 for now. Looks great still. From what I can tell I should be able to play at probably near medium.

MacBook Pro 17" (mid 2010) Windows 7 32-bit
Core i5 2.53Ghz
GT 330M 512MB VRAM 285.38 beta drivers
4GB RAM (2.2 free for the game)

:apple:

****. YES. You just made my day. I was hoping that someone already tried it out on the 330M!!!! I have a 15" from mid 2010 also... I completely regret not waiting for the ATI GFX :(

MyDesktopBroke

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
What drivers are you running? It says I need the 285.xx series, but on nvidia and geforce's websites, it lists the 280.xx series as the latest drivers.

BF3 won't launch without them.

Nik73

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
UK
I've had a few games tonight on my 3.1, 12GB ram, 1GB 6970m, 27" iMac and it played very smoothly at the auto settings, which was high on everything apart from AA (med) and at native resolution. Looked really nice as well. Not sure what the FPS were, but there was no stuttering at all. Managed to get a game on the Caspian map and it's like a different game. Much nicer to look at and HUGE! The lighting is amazing, especially like the torchs on the guns.

To be honest, I didn't think it would run it that well. Definitely enough to get me to preorder. There's talk of the settings not being final though as ultra is no better than high.

f1restarter

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2005
London
Caspian Border is amazing. Brings back the ol' BF2 memories, which Operation Metro doesn't. Can't wait to play this map once all the bugs are fixed and optimized in the final release. :D

lfc

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
Australia
****. YES. You just made my day. I was hoping that someone already tried it out on the 330M!!!! I have a 15" from mid 2010 also... I completely regret not waiting for the ATI GFX :(

I should let you know that I overclocked a bit, but probably would of only given me an extra 5 or so fps. Should be fine without an overclock but just letting ya know ;)
Theres a tutorial on how to do that for the 330m on these forums somewhere if you want to check that out. TIP: use MSI Afterburner to do the overclock

muckman

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
What drivers are you running? It says I need the 285.xx series, but on nvidia and geforce's websites, it lists the 280.xx series as the latest drivers.

BF3 won't launch without them.

I can confirm this. I had to update my drivers as well and I'm playing the Beta right now - too bad it's just one round ;).

Can anyone confirm what kind of system the ultra high res settings take for it?

cstinson4

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2011
I should let you know that I overclocked a bit, but probably would of only given me an extra 5 or so fps. Should be fine without an overclock but just letting ya know ;)
Theres a tutorial on how to do that for the 330m on these forums somewhere if you want to check that out. TIP: use MSI Afterburner to do the overclock

Hey lfc, you responded to one of my posts a few days ago since I too have a late 2010 MBP w/ Windows 7 and the NVIDIA 330m graphics card. I still seem to be pretty choppy even though I've got the correct drivers, put my pc in performance mode, and put all my video settings on low. Is there anything else besides overclocking to do to improve performance? Thanks!

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I think this is the first FPS game I have played that I completely suck at and I don't even care. Really enjoy the game, even when I get next to no kills. I'm sure my team hate my lack of skill but the game is fun.

Coming mostly from console gaming one thing im struggling with is Z to prone and X to crouch with my fingers on WASD for moving i cant reach Z or X with my fingers, any tips?

Rithem

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008

I overclock too lol

lfc

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
Australia
Hey lfc, you responded to one of my posts a few days ago since I too have a late 2010 MBP w/ Windows 7 and the NVIDIA 330m graphics card. I still seem to be pretty choppy even though I've got the correct drivers, put my pc in performance mode, and put all my video settings on low. Is there anything else besides overclocking to do to improve performance? Thanks!

Are you using the latest beta drivers? They're meant to give a %38 increase in performance for battlefield 3. If you have then I guess overclocking helps more then I thought it did.

I tried putting the settings closer to medium but it started to get choppy, so I think I'm gonna keep it all on low. Looks good still at least :)

Lauwie

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2011
A question, on my iMac (21,5inch i7 and and radeon 6770m) I can"t install the AMD drivers how can i solve this? It says it can't find the right hardware :confused:

kisscool

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2011
Are you using the latest beta drivers? They're meant to give a %38 increase in performance for battlefield 3. If you have then I guess overclocking helps more then I thought it did.

I tried putting the settings closer to medium but it started to get choppy, so I think I'm gonna keep it all on low. Looks good still at least :)

Hi! :)

I am owner of a MBP2010 and here are my Specs:

- MacBook Pro 17" (mid 2010) Windows 7 64-bit
- Core i7 2.8Ghz
- GT 330M 512MB VRAM 285.38 beta drivers (latest for BF3)
- 8GB RAM

This MBP was one of the top classes of his range in 2010... And i can't play BF3 a all! Very Laggy, only 15fps, or big stuttering, even in small resolution like 1280x800 with all options set to LOW...

So where is the problem? I cant believe that not overcloked my card can't make me play this game in low if you can play it with an Overclocked one :x

Is it dangerous to overclocked the card for long session of play?

Can you put screen of your settings in the game, and in your graphic card driver?

Because there is a very big difference between 15 FPS in mine (not smooth at all...) and what you said :(

lfc

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
Australia
Hi! :)

I am owner of a MBP2010 and here are my Specs:

- MacBook Pro 17" (mid 2010) Windows 7 64-bit
- Core i7 2.8Ghz
- GT 330M 512MB VRAM 285.38 beta drivers (latest for BF3)
- 8GB RAM

This MBP was one of the top classes of his range in 2010... And i can't play BF3 a all! Very Laggy, only 15fps, or big stuttering, even in small resolution like 1280x800 with all options set to LOW...

So where is the problem? I cant believe that not overcloked my card can't make me play this game in low if you can play it with an Overclocked one :x

Is it dangerous to overclocked the card for long session of play?

Can you put screen of your settings in the game, and in your graphic card driver?

Because there is a very big difference between 15 FPS in mine (not smooth at all...) and what you said :(

If you haven't overclocked then your still underclocked from Apple. Theres a good tutorial on this site on how to overclock the 330m. It should help a lot I guess seeing as non-overclocked people seem to get a fair bit worser performance then me.
Theres always a danger when it comes to overclocking so do so at your own risk. As long as the GPU temps remain roughly 80 degrees celcius (or less) then it's fine for long sessions.
My settings are all just low and 1280x800.
Checking BF3's FPS counter it seems to always be around 30fps with little dips to 20-25 when theres lots of effects going on

ogerrob1487

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2011
A question, on my iMac (21,5inch i7 and and radeon 6770m) I can"t install the AMD drivers how can i solve this? It says it can't find the right hardware :confused:
Same here. I am on a 27in iMac with a HD 6970M 2gb. Running Boot Camp 4.0. I tried the Mac drivers from the AMD site, as well as the mobility and desktop versions. The desktop drivers say that installation was successful though I do not have Catalyst Control center installed. Any help would be great thanks.

Rithem

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
If you haven't overclocked then your still underclocked from Apple. Theres a good tutorial on this site on how to overclock the 330m. It should help a lot I guess seeing as non-overclocked people seem to get a fair bit worser performance then me.
Theres always a danger when it comes to overclocking so do so at your own risk. As long as the GPU temps remain roughly 80 degrees celcius (or less) then it's fine for long sessions.
My settings are all just low and 1280x800.
Checking BF3's FPS counter it seems to always be around 30fps with little dips to 20-25 when theres lots of effects going on

My numbers are at 650/925/1430. Seem stable to me.

Mirrors

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2011
Earth
I have bootcamp and the beta installed but it says that my AMD drivers are 11.2(Bootcamp original) and it needs to be 11.7 yet every time I download it, it gives me an error like there's no reason to install that driver.

Help? :(

carlili4190

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
I have the 2011 MPB
2.3 GHZ Quad Core I7
4GB 1333MHZ
Intel HD Graphics 3000
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5

I can play on Ultra but I prefer to play on High.

(How can I tell what my FPS is?)

genu1ne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Press alt+ctrl+s ingame

I have the 2011 MPB
2.3 GHZ Quad Core I7
4GB 1333MHZ
Intel HD Graphics 3000
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5

I can play on Ultra but I prefer to play on High.

(How can I tell what my FPS is?)

Mulperi

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2011
I have the 2011 low end 27" iMac and I played BF3 beta on 1280x720 Low and medium settings pretty well, about 30 fps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.