BattleStar Gallactic 2003-2009 Retro Talk- Spoilers!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Huntn, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

A search of "Battlestar" on MR revealed 8 threads. The humongous 1300 reply "Official" thread has been closed. The number 2 had about 165 replies which I started to revive and then had second thoughts after receiving a complaint. So here is a new thread. :D

After a recommendation from my son, I reluctantly watched the 2003 miniseries which continued on as a series. About half way into Season 1, I was compelled and now up to Season 2 am hooked. Drats! ;) I'm watching it on Netflix.

Please warn regarding Spoilers and what season they apply to if you can.
    This thread includes spoilers and I don't intend upon shielding them, but I'd request that if you post significant spoilers that you at least mention it at the beginning of your post. I'm about 8 episodes into Season 2. Thanks!

I've read this article: Cylon Models and it is helpful to understand that the "human cylons" are not so much robots as synthetic humans created on Kobol thousands of years ago by humans. I'm not sure why they are so hard to detect and am not sure if the Cylon detection test created by Dr. Balter is real or is a sham based on what I know about Dr. Balter. :) Based on the "glowing spine" during sex or the sylica pathways used as a nervous system, and their ability to interface with networks, why it should be so hard to detect them? My guess is that instead of picking it apart, just accept what the story tells me. :)

Another issue is the procreation of the Cylon models and their need to receive a human sperm donation (or a human egg) to create a hybrid child. It really blurs the concept of how much of a machine they are versus a biological although synthetic being. If they are able to grow children from embryos even with some reliance on humans, I imagine it would indicated something much closer to biological then mechanical.

Most interesting is that the Cylons belief in God may eventually interfere with their hatred of humans.

I'm all most afraid to mention this and I don't want a spoiler answer.
    What I find most intriguing are the Human Cylon "sleepers" in particular the female pilot Sharon Valerii, nicknamed Boomer. I want to like this character, but if they know she is a Cylon, I don't know how they could ever trust her. She would be the perfect method for deception, infiltration, and execution of the big Cylon plan. One minute she blows up a large Cylon "mother" ship, then she tries to murder Adama. She helps them find the Tomb of Athena, now I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. ;) At this point, until it's dis-proven, I believe that consciously she has, what she would describe as true feelings and motivation as she expresses them, but she is subject to subconscious manipulation by the Cylon network as evidenced by her sabotage of the BSG (Battle Star Galactica).

[​IMG]

How would I compare BSG to my favorite SciFi TV series, Star Trek Next Generation? It's different, the story has a much larger overlying arc then STNG. Both are good in their own way. BSG seemed to mix great story opportunities and visuals with shallow and hokey at first, but I have adapted and accepted. As of my progress in this series, I'd still have to give the edge to STNG, for writing and tremendous science fiction premises, such as the paradox in the final STNG two part episode which was just incredible to me along with the continued presence of Q from the start to the end of the series. That said, there seems to be many more opportunities for intrigue in BSG.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I'm of the opinion that Baltar's Cyclon detector DOES work and it's based on level of silica in the blood. In humans it would be none or at most trace amounts. There would be high levels of silica in cyclon blood. A mass spectrometer could have gotten the job done. Just my opinion. I don't think the nuke was of any use in his detector. He probably asked of it because he's Baltar.:D

The answer to this is spoilery. There's a group who think the missing ingredient for Cyclon/Cyclon reproduction is love. I tend to think it's because the final five didn't/couldn't create perfect human Cyclons. On of the final five almost had a child with a significant seven. Almost.

Non-spoiler spoiler. I like and dislike this Cyclon. I trust her and I don't trust her.:D Like the opening tagline: "There are many copies.";)

4. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

I still think this is the best TV series ever made. Yes, The West Wing is great and I'm half way through The Wire (which is good, but not great) I don't have the same emotional bond with the characters as I did with BSG.

Need to watch it again soon as I'm sure it will be a different, but equally enjoyable experience know how it ends from the start.

5. Queso macrumors G4

There are some absolutely amazing episodes in this series. The story arc in the middle of season 2 is great TV, although I really don't want to go into any further details in case of spoilers.

6. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

We'll agree to disagree. That and the fact that we don't get (Spoilers)

ANY Viper dogfights in the last 2 seasons just pissed me off.

That and it's Battlestar Galactica, not Battlestar Gallactic.

7. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks for the replies!

Thanks for not spoiling!

I'm midway through the second season and was utterly shocked when Adama and the Admiral were plotting to spoiler>assassinate each other<end spoiler.

In contrast the Black Market episode was a misfire. Hoping that does not happen too often. Instead of watching the rest of the series streamed on Netflix, I broke down and bought the complete series on bluray ($115). :)

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I think it was somewhere at the end of season 2 or in the middle of 3 that the writers realized they had no idea where they were going with the story. The writers even admit to it. The show took a pretty sharp nose dive after the first two seasons IMO.

Get ready for a lot of deus ex machina.

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Ending is great but a rip off of an old Twilight Zone or some other show you might have seen. The show loses its way in the second half of the second to last season, lots of "filler" type episodes that go nowhere. Spoiler:

Bruce Willis is dead the whole time, Harrison Ford's wife killed her and Batman dies.

10. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

They lost me at Razor. After the whole thing where Cain lets Gina be brutalized and raped (insinuated), I just really had a special level of disgust with the show.

11. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Battlestar Galactica!!! I LOVED this show. Thought the series finale was a bit of a disappointment and a bit confusing, but I was addicted when I was watching it.

Has anyone heard any news on the spinoff prequel, Blood and Chrome? Caprica, while not as good as BSG, I found to still be interesting, so I was hopeful when I heard about the prequel. But I haven't heard much in the way of news about that lately...

12. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I tried to watch Caprica but could not get into it. If I stick with BSG, maybe I'll go back and take another peak at it. BTW was Caprica set before or after BSG?

13. 11800506 macrumors 65816

It's set before BSG and follows the creation of the first Cylons (among other things). It is a very different kind of show from BSG, much more focused on character drama than action. I actually technically haven't finished watching it myself because it started getting a little weird with religious fanaticism, but at some point I watch the rest of it.

14. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I just finished Season 2. Wow, interesting ending. I've just become aware of the Syfy Webisodes whose intent is to link Season 2 with Season 3. Would anyone recommend them? Here is a descriptive link.

I've also read the opinion that after Season 2, the story becomes a lot less focused. Without spoilers, would the BSG fans here agree with that? Thanks!

15. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

I'd watch the websisodes -- they're pretty short and add a little character depth that is cool. I forget exactly where it falls in the sequence, but you should also try to catch the Razor full-length movie for more about Admiral Cain. :)

The latter part of the series definitely has a different feel, but by the time it got that far, I was so hooked that I kept watching regardless! :D

16. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

It loses its way for a half a season or so but the last season gets back on track.

17. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks! :)

18. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Netflix breAking bad next. Best drama ever. No bad episodes. Not one.

19. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I had problems with Breaking Bad. I did not enjoy watching an individual spiral down.

20. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Oh well. To each his own. I like to think of it as an individual bettering himself. Not taking crap from anyone anymore, becoming his own man, etc etc. Too bad to do so he had break a few laws....

21. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

EXACTLY!

Of ALL TV shows and movie remakes EVER made ... this by far tops them ALL.
    I see only these two (Batman movie series & Incredible Hulk: Edward Norton) as being equal.

I grew up watching the original series with my Dad, finding parts of it lame: Muffet (every episode with that joke of a robotic dog was horrible). Tweeki from Buck Rogers was far better.

Don't forget to think about Razor series! It had some insight into a lot of matters.

22. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I just finished watching the whole series on Netflix a few months ago. I totally loved it and the best is yet to come for you as you continue to watch it. I ended up watching several episodes per day at times. You will like how it ends; no doubt.

Breaking Bad is awesome! I started watching it on Netflix and now am keeping up with the latest episodes on iTunes. This weeks episode was great until the last minute when you get that deep dark shock of what happened.

I'm now on to a new show I discovered last week: 'Boss' with Kelsey Grammer. This is turning out to be a cool show too. Season 2 kicks off on Starz (and hopefully iTunes) this Friday.

23. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

A friend offered him a good paying job, but instead.... etc, etc, peddling drugs and murder... it seemed like watching a tragedy which at that time, I was not in the mood to wade though multiple seasons to see him killed. ;) I realize this is probably great story telling. It just seemed to depress me.

24. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

I absolutely love this show!

I''ve just started season four, watching the series again, streaming on Netflix.

The first time I watched the series was again on Netflix, but before streaming, three DVDs out at a time. This worked out perfectly because I always had the one I was currently watching, the next one to watch immediately, and one in transit.

However, this screwed me once...

...watching the last DVD of season three, figuring I have my season four premier ready to go...
    ...season three finale was one of the greatest cliffhangers EVER!...
    ...I immediately go to pop in the next DVD, and...
    ...WTF? "RAZOR"?!?!? WHERE IS MY SEASON FOUR PREMIER?? lol

I was SO motivated to watch that next episode immediately, that I ran out that moment to buy the season 4.0 DVD set!

Awesome, awesome show!

25. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

For my progress, early into Season 3, I just watched the single best two episodes of the series, Exodus Pt 1&2.

spoiler>>
    Where they finally escape New Caprica, where Tigh kills his wife, where Kara Trace finds out that Kacey is not her child, where Boomer gets them the ships launch keys, where Capt Adama comes back to assist Galactica sacrificing Pegasus and they get the FRACK out of there! <<end spoiler.

Incredible! :)

[​IMG]