MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

180126-Picture 5.png

As predicted, the BBC has added their television programs to iTunes UK. Accessible through UK iTunes:
BBC Worldwide brings iTunes users in the UK the best of British TV programmes from the BBC. Our programmes are exciting, compelling, passionate, provocative, bold, unpredictable and moving, and include some of the best comedy -- Little Britain, The Catherine Tate Show and Two Pints of Lager & a Packet of Crisps -- and a fantastic selection of contemporary drama, including Torchwood, Spooks and Life on Mars, all available to download now. New titles will be added regularly, including top-quality documentary series and brand-new drama and comedy

Shows are priced at £1.89 per episode and are still being added to. Apple's UK Hot news also list Robin Hood and Ashes to Ashes amongst the available shows. They also specify that the newest episodes will be available for for purchase and download eight days after they are screened on TV.

Article Link

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
So how does this work for non-UKers? Another question might be... As a UKer, can you download US shows? I'd love to get some BBC documentary stuff (and pay for it too!), as I can't access the site to watch.

Comment

iJed

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2001
West Sussex, UK
I can't see this doing very well in the UK with iPlayer being free and having at least some of this content. Plus I'm sure that I already pay for this stuff with my TV licence.

Edit: This is actually quite insulting to us licence payers.

Comment

nja247

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
UK
So, now all us licence fee payers in the UK can pay again to download these programmes.

Hooray!

Wait a minute...

Technically they're available for free on BBC's website for UK residents. The BBC iPlayer is another story however. This is for those outside of the UK to have access to BBC content online. Thus I don't see how it's insulting when you can go to BBC and get it free if you're in the UK and therefore pay (or supposed to) TV licence.

Comment

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I can't see this doing very well in the UK with iPlayer being free and having at least some of this content. Plus I'm sure that I already pay for this stuff with my TV licence.

Do you get offended by BBC DVDs then?

Comment

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
ooops i just hit buy on life on mars 1 & 2 Torchwood and spooks

god dam this is gonna cost me.
:D

happy day's , keep em coming beeb

OFAH,Red Dwarf,Blackadder to name but a few to be added PLEEEEASE

Comment

tadunne

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Birmingham UK
That's what I said!

My guess it iplayer gets the content for 7 days after it's shown, then they become available to buy (just like you would buy if you purchased it on DVD, only quicker)

Hopefully the rumblings from the BBC over interest in itunes rental model would be a way for them to deliver iplayer content to macs/pods

So free on itunes/iplayer for 7 days and available to purchase 8+ days after?
I think that would be a fair system?

I'm going to be more interested in older content like Red Dwarf and old Dr Who, Spooks..

Comment

eddx

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
It would be very nice is those of us who paid the £120 ($240) per year to the BBC to watch their broadcasts could get their TV Shows through iTunes for free. Then that really would be good news!

This current price makes me want to look else where.

Comment

euanmackie

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2007
as licence payers havent we allready paid? and I can't see the European concill being happy as the already think that iTunes is ripping us all off....

Comment

Mitch1984

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2005
Telford

I know, it sucks paying twice, but you pay twice when you buy the shows on DVD I guess.

Plus the iPlayer, you don't get to keep the episodes. Maybe Apple said no to having BBC on the Apple TV, or said no to the BBC using the rental money. Apple take a cut for the distribution, so even if the BBC wanted Apple to put the shows on iTunes for free and have them self delete after a certain time, the BBC would've had to pay Apple money.

Comment

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
now if the bbc would just make the iplayer for mac too, thered be no need to use itunes to watch em....

ooops, then the bbc wouldnt make any money from it
doh!.....

guess we wont be seeing iplayer anytime soon then

i thoght the bbc was meant for everyone in the uk not just pc owners

discrimination.....remind me why we pay our licence again??

COME ON YOU MBP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
I object to being asked to pay twice for these programs, so I will continue to download that rare creation ( a BBC program worth watching ) via Bit Torrent.

Doug

Comment

nja247

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
UK
It would be very nice is those of us who paid the £120 ($240) per year to the BBC to watch their broadcasts could get their TV Shows through iTunes for free. Then that really would be good news!

This current price makes me want to look else where.

£120? Try £135.50

Comment

Melan

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
"best comedy" and "fantastic ... drama"?

Little Britain = bad
The Catherine Tate Show = bad
Two Pints of Lager & a Packet of Crisps = really bad
Torchwood = bad

Just give Fawlty Towers, the UK Office and Planet Earth and you've done all you can.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.