BBC content NOW on iTunes UK

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vendettabass, Feb 18, 2008.

1. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

check it out!

torchwood
    life on mars
    little britain
    catherine tate show
    SPOOKS!
    2 pints
    mighty boosh

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Not in the US, though.... :mad:

I guess we have to wait for "BBC America" to put stuff on iTunes in the USA.

When do we get the second season of "Robin Hood?" I hate to keep watching the DVD's of season one over and over... :eek:

3. LangleyAls macrumors member

tut tut tut for the £1.89 charge, many people will not be happy...

4. Dunk the Lunk macrumors regular

Yeah but they're idiots who don't understand what the iplayer is. Can you download these programmes on the iplayer and keep them forever? I thought not. People need to get a grip and be thankful that the itunes store is actually getting some decent video content

5. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

I'm already paying for these programs why should I pay again?

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Sorry, I don't get your programming rules.

I've only seen BBC stuff on PBS (without commercial interruption) or on BBC America (with commercials).

Don't you pay a license fee and not have any commercials?

iTunes stuff here in the US has no commercials- hence the costs...

7. kolax macrumors G3

£1.89?!

We already have to pay for a freakin' TV license, and now the BBC want us to pay even more for TV shows on iTunes?

Should be £0.10 per episode. If it was, I'd buy episodes, my mates would, and I'm sure a hell of a lot more people would.

I just can't afford the premium prices they charge. Hence why I look else where to get TV shows I've missed for a price that doesn't cost.

8. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Yeh I won't be downloading either. I don't even watch BBC channels yet I am forced to pay for them already.

9. LangleyAls macrumors member

yep, we pay a license fee for the bbc, so in effect we have already paid for these programs... however, i guess it is the same as buying a box set of dvd's. Doesn't really bother me too much, but the ethics of the bbc could be questioned as they currently don't have the downloadable service for macs from their bbc iplayer...

10. calculus Guest

calculus

Nothing personal, but it does make a nice change to see those words rather than the usual 'not in the UK'

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The trouble is they will end up having the last laugh when the BBC programmes turn up on the US store at almost half the price. :(

12. Dunk the Lunk macrumors regular

Where, on any platform (mac/pc/dvd/vhs/betamax etc), can you guys who are moaning about the cost, get BBC content for free legally? I'd really like to know because obviously I'm missing something

13. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Totally agree, but unfortunately we want loads of digital TV channels including High Def, digital radio and Britains most popular website, but the license fee is capped by the government so they don't have enough to go round, so a chunk of the license fee is funded through their commercial arm (BBC Worldwide) to the tune of £200 million per year.

BBCW sell DVDs, magazines, UK commercial channes (i.e. UKTV, Dave) and I assume they'll be punting the shows on iTunes.

Vote with your feet, don't buy them.

14. kolax macrumors G3

Where did anyone say that?

We are moaning about the cost, because it is a really high price considering we are already paying a TV license for BBC channels.

I don't expect it to be free, but £1.89 is really bloody expensive just for a 30 minute show.

It'll fail unless they get the pricing right.

15. Dunk the Lunk macrumors regular

What so you'd rather have no BBC content on itunes, and less content to go on your ipod/iphone/atv?

16. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

I've survived up to now without BBC content on my iPod!

My point was at £1.89 the price is too high for a product people have already paid for, and it will just encourage people to use less honorable sources. If you are happy paying this, then go for it!

Besides, there are plenty of other free sources of these BBC shows such as BBC Three, UKTV, Dave, Virgin on Demand, iPlayer.

17. Dunk the Lunk macrumors regular

Dr Who Series 3 (OK not listed on iTunes yet but probably will be soon)

Amazon.co.uk costs £48.99
    Divide by 13 episodes

=£3.77 per episode

18. abrooks macrumors 6502a

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/

19. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

So... using the time limited business model, you can get episodes for free...on windows...

On mac, YOU MUST PAY!!

PREJUDICE!!!

Seriously though, this seems ridiculous, the BBC could've easily (ish) setup their stuff on the time limited model, for a very small fee and keep everyone happy, oh well, nothings ever easy now is it, making money comes first.

20. Dunk the Lunk macrumors regular

Yeah but the other channels you mention require live TV, iplayer is only available for 7 days after broadcast, and i'm not sure about virgin on demand but i believe it has an individual download cost on top of the monthly subscription, ((?)possibly more than iTunes per show), and your not able to keep it for any length of time

No it only shows TV programmes from the last seven days, you obviously don't know what the iplayer is

21. Dunk the Lunk macrumors regular

No because they're not time limited so you get to keep them forever, unlike the iplayer which only shows TV programmes from the last 7 days

22. abrooks macrumors 6502a

I'm more than aware of what the iPlayer is and what it offers, to Windows users episodes can be downloaded and stored on portable media players, albeit for a limited period of time, but this is an example of free content from the BBC.

23. G4DP macrumors 65816

How do you think there paying for the crap that's coming up this sunday, around 18:30.

They complain about not having enough money, yet they make crap like Happy Birthday Bruce.

I mean come on.

24. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

VoD is free for 'selected' programs shown in the last 7 days (i.e. the same stuff available on iPlayer.) Hang on... *just goes and plays with his telly*

Hmmm, there are older shows available (Balamory, Dr Who series 2) are free because I am a 'subscription payer', I don't know what the subscription means, I guess that's part of my £30 a month package.

iTunes is a different model, it's offing it in a hand-held or computer based package and on demand whenever, wherever. If that's what you really need then £1.89 might well be worth the cost. I've currently reached 31 years without such a need (although the other day I was in a strange town looking for a shop without knowing the address when I declared "I need a bloody iPhone" so maybe I will reach an epiphany on that one too!)

25. Dunk the Lunk macrumors regular

Ok I phrased my question badly so i'll re-ask it. Also I'm not sure but as far as I'm aware you can't transfer episode to a portable media player

Where, on any platform (mac/pc/dvd/vhs/betamax etc), can you guys who are moaning about the cost, get BBC content for free legally which you can keep for more than 7 days? I'd really like to know because obviously I'm missing something