BBC iPlayer iPhone content now live

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by donnie3000, Mar 7, 2008.

1. donnie3000 macrumors member

A quick check of the BBC iPlayer beta for iPhone shows there is content. Although the standard controls show at the bottom of the player window, a bigger, easier to hit, blue play button also appears. Hit that and the programme plays full screen a la YouTube rather than in the small window as it first shows! Excellent quality-very impressed!

2. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

It still does not work for me -- simply states that the program is not available :( Which program did you tried?

3. donnie3000 thread starter macrumors member

Horizon:Are we alone in the universe

It's in the column on the RHS.

4. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Whistleblower also works.

Looks like the encoding server is still a bit patchy, but hopefully will have ramped up to everything in the next day or two.

Phazer

5. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

Brilliant...jumping to different places in the program is very quick..I'm really impressed with the quality, hopefully they have enough capacity for when the system gets popular.
    Jonathan Ross is available as well (not my fav but..)
    Gavin and Stacey.

6. Malcster macrumors 6502

Was just watching some of the Horizon episode, very good picture quality (over wifi), looks like the BBC have done a great job, looking forward to more content!

7. Pennine macrumors 6502

8. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

looking great! watching Jonathan Ross on my iPhone now!

Have to say, lots of progs aren't on iPlayer, wheres Family Guy!!!

9. Malcster macrumors 6502

Family Guy will never be on it, its for BBC created content only, they don't have a license to distribute other studios shows.

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Can anyone screen shot it while playing something?

11. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Well, that's dependent on the studio. Though for US imports it's normally true, though Damages is on the streaming iPlayer (it's not on the download one as Apple themselves have exclusive UK download distribution rights for the programme via the iTunes store).

Phazer

12. cyberbolt macrumors member

When I navigate to it, I just get the standard iPlayer site.

Every time I try and watch something, it just tells me it's not available. How are people getting this?

13. Malcster macrumors 6502

cool, i stand corrected :)

14. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

By Radio do you mean the podcast beta? That's been going a few weeks now – it's great. Nice simple interface.

I tell you what, I am loving this iPlayer. It seems so much sharper on the little iPhone screen than it does on my desktop mac!

15. cyberbolt macrumors member

Ok, scratch this. I've got it working now, although the only thing that I could watch was Whistleblower. It's neat, but they could do with streamlining the site a bit so it displays better on the small screen.

16. Pennine macrumors 6502

17. Malcster macrumors 6502

Yep, content is very limited right now. As for the site, give them a break, it only started today! ;) :D im sure it will improve over time.

18. nebsta macrumors member

I tried loading over EDGE earlier and it does not work. An error message states that you must be using Wi-Fi.

19. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Could you use the line out to watch this on your TV? That would actually be a very elegant solution to watching the iPlayer for a lot of people.

Phazer

20. donnie3000 thread starter macrumors member

I wondered about this. I read somewhere that Safari does not output to TV, but I'm not sure the player runs in Safari or is just invoked by it? It looks like if YouTube works to TV output, then this will too-but I don't know if YouTube does or not!!!

21. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I suspect it plays in Safari as far as the iPhone is concerned. If you can't view Safari on the line out I guess it wouldn't work. Any UK'ers able to test?

Phazer

22. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

yeah, i had a quick blast of whisteblower before i came to work (no wifi at work) and was very impressed by the streaming quality..

can't wait for more shows to be added.. this looks very promising indeed.. and also bodes well for content on apple tv too..

23. donnie3000 thread starter macrumors member

I'll wait for someone to confirm if the TV out works or not before I run out and buy the £35 cable!

24. snapper07 macrumors 6502

snapper07

OMG this is fantastic!!
    Streams so well quality is great can't wait till more programs start to work!:D:D:D

25. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

This is a H.264 file streaming from a site. It is actually played by the iPhone video player (same controls etc). If you go to www.apple.com/trailers, you will see the same technique used by apple for playing trailers on an iPhone.

So I am 99% sure it will work with TV Out, as this is a straight forward implementation used since day 1.