BBC: RIP Gold iPod Mini

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
iGAV said:
a gold iPod... what on earth were Apple thinking in the first place. :eek: :rolleyes: :p
exactly, its no surprise that it didnt sell too well, they may want to consider a purple, orange, or what i would like is black

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
They should do special edition mini's like the U2pod.

BTW is there a date for when the U2pod will end. I mean it is 'special edition' :confused:

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I never liked the gold, or the silver. I always thought the green, blue, and pink were cool though.

However, without the gold, the new line looks like it is missing something. Interesting.

I'd love to see a purple iPod mini.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
StarbucksSam said:
I never liked the gold, or the silver. I always thought the green, blue, and pink were cool though.

However, without the gold, the new line looks like it is missing something. Interesting.

I'd love to see a purple iPod mini.
and the silver iPod mini is the top selling one i believe! ill probably end up getting a silver, or the new blue, that one is nice too, but yes it definately feels as if there is a gap now with only four colors

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
Peace out Gold -

I'd love to see a Navy and a dark silver - Or, it would be cool if you could custom order a color and apple could match it off the HTML color chart.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
goodwill said:
Peace out Gold -

I'd love to see a Navy and a dark silver - Or, it would be cool if you could custom order a color and apple could match it off the HTML color chart.
I doubt that will ever happen :p

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Those comments at the bottom of the article are hilarious!
You were once Going For Gold but you ended up just going.
I'm not too sad to see gold go, but I'm very disappointed that no new color has taken its place. A white mini would sell very well, and it would look cute next to a white iPod photo and a white iPod shuffle. :)

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
I wouldn't have missed the silver one either, although four colours visually works better from a marketing perspective, imvho.

So I think they should actually keep this original 4-colour range and introduce a new abstract range, with 4 designs based on contemporary artworks: such as Warhol's Cambell Soup, Mondarain's 3 colour composites, Jackson Pollack's Summertime and maybe a piece from the stable of MC Escher .... :)

/ leaps into all-over asbestos body-suit and hurrys away in fire-retardant sportscar to escape the esnuing flames... ;)

macFanDave

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2003
I remember when the iPod minis first came out...

everyone predicted the impending failure of the pink one. I went against the herd and was at least partly right.

In reality, the pink one looks great (my daughter has one), but now I have to see a new 2G pink one to see if I still feel the same. The metallic pink is distinctive yet it does not look gaudy. I worry that a "more vibrant" pink will make it look like it would be more at home with a bunch of plastic, Hello Kitty crap.

See you, Gold! If it's any consolation, you would have been my fourth choice had I chosen a mini for myself. Silver would have been my last choice (even though it is the most popular) since I already have plenty of silver gadgets.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
SFVCyclone said:
Im wondering if it's an official collectors item now? And also if its value will go up in years to come? hmmmmmm
If you act quickly, I'll sell you my gold iPod Mini for just a few thousand. ;)

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
PlaceofDis said:
and the silver iPod mini is the top selling one i believe!
Around Christmas, a lot of stores (Target, Best Buy) ONLY had the silver mini around here. I think that one is the default order for a lot of stores.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Maybe the Gold ones will come out, but are currently in short Supply courtesy of Purdue NC. (SEE AD BELOW)

Applespider

macrumors G4
Savage Henry said:
So I think they should actually keep this original 4-colour range and introduce a new abstract range, with 4 designs based on contemporary artworks: such as Warhol's Cambell Soup, Mondarain's 3 colour composites, Jackson Pollack's Summertime and maybe a piece from the stable of MC Escher .... :)
Worryingly, I like this idea although it's a little like the Flower Power Mac.
I'd say one - it might be fun to have one of the Minis that changes pattern every six months or so but not sure I'd buy one.

Then again, isn't that what HP tried to do with their iPod tattoos?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Actually the pink one was the best selling IIRC.

Silver may have been 2nd best.... don't remember.