Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogtanian

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Bournemouth, UK
Agreed.

I'm just debating buying a T.V. to use only for gaming and possibly appleTV, don't see why that should require a license with their stance being 'live broadcast'.

I feel that their costs for production are covered from resale to other countries/networks. The license fee probably covers their 'broadcast' costs i.e. transmitters, frequency bands etc. I don't know but I imagine the revenue the BBC is making through it's 'business' arm far outweighs it's 'public service'.

BBC_income_2004_in_GBP_Redvers.png

See pie chart...

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
The BBC iPlayer is restricted to users in the UK - not just because of the licence fee, but because they have to negotiate rights with the programme makers.

They currently offer two services:

1) A download service which uses WMV files with DRM on them (for Windows XP/Vista) compatible with most devices that can support those files.

2) A streaming service that supports virtually any OS with Flash.

The new part will be that Mac users can download files with DRM (like part 1 above). How they will do that, I have no idea. Short of Apple licensing FairPlay there isn't a suitable DRM solution for the Mac.

As for the :apple: TV, the only way that would work is if they did get FairPlay from Apple. Which I would REALLY be surprised by.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer

^^ If you can't use the service now, it wont work in the future.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
I think BBC is one of the best documentary channels out there, that would be a great addition!
The BBC isn't a 'documentary channel'. :p

It depends what live is interpreted as. Obviously very little TV is actually live and yet you still need a license. I think you still need a license. I'm sure the BBC would be quick to fill that little loop hole.
Currently, the TV license is just that - a TV license.

Online streaming isn't covered.... but yeah, it will be covered soon, methinks. :rolleyes:

The minute iPlayer comes out for teh Mac, I'm going to throw my TV in the trash. :eek:

Short of Apple licensing FairPlay there isn't a suitable DRM solution for the Mac.

As for the :apple: TV, the only way that would work is if they did get FairPlay from Apple. Which I would REALLY be surprised by.
Downloads, I suspect, will be FairPlay. Why is that such a stretch to believe? They're climbing in to bed with Apple with serious amounts of money - moving everything to Final Cut Pro workflows...

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Actually some US news channels like Fox News are available (at least in the UK) via satellite so we know exactly what you get. And you can keep it :D

Fox is just the most blatant... the other big 3 are owned by General Electric , Westinghouse (both war profiteers) and Disney (primary US pablum dispenser... sorry Steve).

Back on thread, I'd love to at least have BBC content available for $$. I'd spring for it.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Downloads, I suspect, will be FairPlay. Why is that such a stretch to believe? They're climbing in to bed with Apple with serious amounts of money - moving everything to Final Cut Pro workflows...

Apple released FairPlay in 2003 and has not licensed it to anybody since then.

Also, the BBC has stated several times that Apple would not license FairPlay to them.

BlakTornado

Apr 24, 2007
Washington, OH
That would be great. Hopefully Channel 4 et al will get on board if its successful. I'd seriously consider an AppleTV if I could stream TV shows for free.

Same here.

I was quite shocked to find that BBC weren't involved with iTunes the other day when I checked the array of videos on the UK iTunes store...

any idea if this would be available in the u.s.? might finally pull the trigger and buy me an :apple:tv!

It's possible they may allow US iTunes buying but I doubt it since it's a British Company who is funded by british tax.

pyramid6

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
The BBC has some of the best programming on the planet, IMHO. I would absolutely love to be able to rent BBC programs on the apple TV. I would buy one just for that. Over half the movies we rent from NetFlicks are BBC programs.

P6

tadunne

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Birmingham UK
It would be so cool if the BBC could work with apple on this one. Most of the best content in the UK comes from the BBC.

If they could have BBC shows like Dr Who, Red Dwarf etc to purchase on itunes that would be cool. Combine that with a free catch up TV service using itunes new rental model. That would totally kick arse!

They will finally have a "mostly" cross platform video delivery service.

They should extend digital purchases to other download services in the UK (are there any?) just to not be totally reliant on Apple.

tadunne

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Birmingham UK
Whatever service they deliver. I hope it in someway supports syncing to ipods.

Otherwise there's not that much point in having a download service really as you are either downloading and playing the content from your computer until it expires or streaming online.

I suppose it would be useful for that want to download stuff to their laptop and watch it where there's no network connection, but I'm thinking thats not a big market.

It makes sense for BBC to use itunes (Cheaper and potentially more popular than streaming along) and it makes sense for Apple to do everything they can to get BBC on board (They'll sell more ipods). Come on guys (BBC,APPLE) make sense of it all!

The BBC and the National Health Service are the two greatest institutions ever developed in the world.:)

They're also two of the most bloated and inefficient instituions in the world. :)

Why the BBC has not gone commercial yet is beyond me. I'd understand if they were actually offering something that isn't being produced by the commercial stations but when you look at such cultural highlights as:

"Celebrity Strictly Come Dancing"
"The Most Annoying People of the Year 2007"
"The ONE Show"
"Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps"

You realise how much they've dumbed down for the proles. Personally, cutting down Panaroma to just 30 minutes and putting it on at "prime time" was the biggest insult. The BBC aren't providing a public service anymore, instead they're trying to compete in the ratings wars with other commercial stations. Get rid of the Licence Fee TAX now!

I always watch FOX news if I fancy a laugh :).

Talk about unprofessional news broadcasting.

What I hate most about FOX News is the number of downright lies and unsubstantiated rumours that feel the need to portray as fact. And then when they're found to be false they never even have the decency to apologise.

What's more anyone who criticises them are immediately labelled by its supporters as a left wing nut clearly brainwashed by the liberal media. According to them only FOX News have the courage to bring you the truth, of course just looking at the whole "Obama / Osama" and "Mass Effect Sex Debate" shows that's clearly not the case.

No! Channel Five's Fifth Gear is so much better and so original too!

By the way, I was being sarcastic. :D

Granted Top Gear is a great piece of entertainment BUT at least with Fifth Gear they actually spend time talking about the cars rather than prancing about trying to think of ever more ridiculous "stunts" to perform. Personally I think there's room for both programmes as they provide different functions and are aimed at a different audience.

tadunne

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Birmingham UK
They're also two of the most bloated and inefficient instituions in the world. :)

Why the BBC has not gone commercial yet is beyond me. I'd understand if they were actually offering something that isn't being produced by the commercial stations but when you look at such cultural highlights as:

"The ONE Show"

You realise how much they've dumbed down for the proles. Personally, cutting down Panaroma to just 30 minutes and putting it on at "prime time" was the biggest insult. The BBC aren't providing a public service anymore, instead they're trying to compete in the ratings wars with other commercial stations. Get rid of the Licence Fee TAX now!

I don't know why BBC, Channel 4 etc are trying to do their own services. It's like saying come and watch BBC, but you'll have to buy a TV that only works with BBC?

Re: the shows you've mentioned above, while I agree they are crap (Except for "The Most Annoying People of the Year 2007" I have a thing for top 100 type programmes), BBC does have to make programs for everyone and that includes people that like crap like that!

BBC does have to make programs for everyone and that includes people that like crap like that!

I haven't got anything against them catering for the diversified range of people who watch programmes in this country nowadays, I just wish they made their programmes UNIQUE rather than carbon copies of the commercial channels.

After all that's supposed to be the main reason for a publicly funded TV service - to show programmes that the commercial stations wouldn't normally show. Don't get me wrong there are some excellent documentaries on the BBC such as Horizon and of course the nature programmes, I just wish they spent the same amount of time and effort on their other shows!

Dunk the Lunk

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
.uk

"The ONE Show"

How is getting rid of the licence fee going to help? The only British station that competes with the BBC is Channel 4 which is also a public service station and is also owned by the Government. So getting rid of the licence fee would create 2 government owned stations competing for advertising revenues, and would ultimately lead to a merger unless one or both were sold which would just create another ITV and no-one wants that...

dogtanian

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Bournemouth, UK
How is getting rid of the licence fee going to help? The only British station that competes with the BBC is Channel 4 which is also a public service station and is also owned by the Government. So getting rid of the licence fee would create 2 government owned stations competing for advertising revenues, and would ultimately lead to a merger unless one or both were sold which would just create another ITV and no-one wants that...

Just to say that yes Channel 4 is a public service channel but it is not 'owned' by the government.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I don't know why BBC, Channel 4 etc are trying to do their own services. It's like saying come and watch BBC, but you'll have to buy a TV that only works with BBC?

The different broadcasters are working on a combined service called "Kangaroo" (at the moment).

It will combine content from all of them so that consumers can just use one program to get the content.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Whatever service they deliver. I hope it in someway supports syncing to ipods.

Otherwise there's not that much point in having a download service really as you are either downloading and playing the content from your computer until it expires or streaming online.

The download service allows me to download content to my PC and then stream it to my Xbox 360 to watch on the big TV.

It's also great for watching when offline.

In terms of the Mac, flash is pretty poor in Mac OS X - uses a lot of CPU and the fans get LOUD, so having a download option will be helpful.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Fox is just the most blatant... the other big 3 are owned by General Electric , Westinghouse (both war profiteers) and Disney (primary US pablum dispenser... sorry Steve).

Westinghouse doesn't own CBS, the two merged and later sold off most of their other divisions. At this point CBS is just CBS, they don't have a parent company or own any war profiteering divisions.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Good that they are doing this. Whether they would have done so if they hadn't been required to by their regulators is another matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.