bday gift for a 4 y/o

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by biturbomunkie, Jul 6, 2007.

1. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

i'm going to my ex-coworker's son's bday party tomorrow. i know nothing about kids. what do you think i should get him? my budget is $50.

TIA.

2. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

3. biturbomunkie thread starter macrumors 6502a

no... i haven't seen my ex-coworker for quite a few yrs.

4. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

You could try a goodie bag of various small things. Then, if he doesn't like one thing, chances are he'll like another.

Action figures
    Books
    A basketball/football/soccer ball
    Candy
    Video game
    etc.

Chances are you'll have to bargain shop though if you want to stay below $50.

One thing I used to love as a kid, and I think kids would still like today, are these little miniature toys called Micro Machines. No idea if they still sell them though. Dinkie cars are good for small kids, too.

5. j/k/Andy macrumors regular

$50 for a party gift is a lot, books and puzzles are always nice and go over well with the parent. If you know that he likes, thomas or dora or whatever then that works also.

Remember the child will not remember who gave him what the next day, so you are really giving the parent the gift.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Something that "Transforms" into somthing else.

7. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

8. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

a refurbished iPod shuffle? ok maybe it's a TAD impractical but I am quite a fanboy

9. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Now that I think about it...

LEGO! And/or K'Nex. Your coworker can build it with his son. Kids plotz at all the little pieces of colorful plastic, and are dumbstruck with they way they call come together and form something so much cooler.

I loved LEGO as a kid.

10. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Are the TMX Elmos still popular or was that only a Christmas thing?

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I'd say a book would probably be your safest bet...go to a bookstore and ask the children's department attendant what would be good for a 4yr old. Then find something that looks cool.

You can't really go wrong with that.

12. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

buy him a book, or a gift certificate to a book store. his parents will appreciate it ...it's important to get into reading at that age. maybe a harry potter book or something his parents can read to him

13. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Ms. KT knows the sector really well :D ;)

14. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

My son just turned 4 and these are the standout gifts, 3 months later.

1. Crafts (foam stickers, crayons, scissors, glue, punches, markers. Crayola has a whole line of "magic" markers for black and white paper, that "erase" the surface color, revealing a rainbow effect underneath).
    2. Play-doh
    3. Puzzles
    4. Child's tape cassette music player
    5. Fisher-Price digital camera (Christmas present)
    6. Bubbles and bubble wands

The camera has to be one of the best presents this year. He's already taken over 1000 pictures, and although they're only 640x480, he gets such a thrill out of seeing what they look like.

15. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Lots of great suggestions here. Just wanted to say you won't need to spend $50 to make a four year old happy. :)

16. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I remember getting a camera as a kid (around 5) and I loved taking pictures with it. Unfortunately, it didn't last long as it was a film camera that could take about 30 pictures.

But definitely think about the camera option. You can get them for less than $20 at places like Toys 'R' Us.

17. iRachel macrumors 6502a

Love the camera idea - I had a few as a kid and I loved taking pictures. Just opt for one like the Fisher Price, which is built to withstand use by a four-year-old.

18. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

From the father of a 4 year old

Either a CD/tape player for kids or anything from the movie 'Cars.'

Make sure you don't get just a tape player - tapes break easily and no one uses them anymore. CDs are basically disposable and easy to make backups.

19. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

My almost-four year old nephew is visiting us for a few days. I bought him some HotWheels cars and a race track (for a total of about $20) and he loves it. He also has a little Radio Flyer tricycle that he loves to ride; I have no idea what those go for. But lots of other good suggestions in this thread already. I especially agree with the earlier poster who said you're not going to need to spend anywhere near $50 to get something the kid will enjoy.

20. true777 macrumors 6502a

true777

$50 is too much for a birthday gift, IMO. Most people bring something in the $10-$20 range, which is perfectly sufficient.

Favorite gifts for my child have included:

• Any Fisher Price "Little People" playset, even the small $10 ones (there are pricier ones up to $50, too). They are super cute, educational, and big hits with the kids.
    • A kiddie tent with attached crawl-through tunnel! Huge hit and can be had for around $15.
    • If you really want to spend $50 you could get him a V-Smile TV gaming console which comes complete with the first game, or a LeapPad interactive book (ask mom first if he has any of those already). Those would be huge hits, very educational, and would last him/her a long time since additional cartridges can be bought for both systems.

21. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Things my 4 year old son LOVES:

Lego
    Books: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, The Polar Express, Where the Wild Things Are.
    He LOVES the pop-up book Dinosaursor sharks.(get at any book store)
    Little Chairs
    Hot Wheels
    Remote Control Cars

And the gift I give whenever we go to a party: a stomp rocket or a pump rocket.

EDIT: never mind... I noticed the party was 3 days ago! Ah well, I'll leave it in case anyone else is searching for a gift. :)

22. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

agree with most people that 50$ is way too much for a b-day gift.
    you don't want to over-do things, so nothing huge or obviously expensive.

forget the gift card idea. worst thing you can give to 4 ys old :)
    also i'd exclude anything electronic or tv-related.
    RC stuff is cool, but he won't play that much with it until a bit later.

books are great always, the only risk is that he might already have them.
    artsy stuff is also nice, but also depend on the parents type

i would go with cars or trains.
    you can NEVER have to many cars.
    hotwheels cars are pretty much a safe hit, and for that age pick the hot-rod, over the top kinds. A good combo could be a few cars and a carrying/display case or a small track set.

alternatively a couple of Thomas the Tank Engine characters (but not Thomas himself, which he likely has already).

23. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Actually, no. My son and I play with the Air Hogs RC planes and helicopters. The planes are dead simple and indestructable, the best is the Aero Ace biplane. We're got two of those now. We've also got the jet, which is basically a pointy monoplane which can loop easily. We're out flying these every week, and he has an absolute blast. I know they're rated for 8 and up, but the controls are so simple, he can fly incredibly well, especially since he's only 4! We also have a few RC cars, but they don't deliver the same thrill that the planes do. The key with the planes is to research online and find one that actually works. Some of them are just plain crap.

Now, I wouldn't trust him with my big RC SuperCub, but that's a LOT faster and more complicated.

24. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

25. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

sounds cool. where do you fly them? don't they need loads of space? i'll check them out.
    i'm in NYC and it's hard to find the necessary room.
    We have had one for a couple of years i don't remember the name but it looks like a stealth bomber, but we tested a few times and then it went on a shelf, because it was more the time we spent trying to get it down from trees then else. it think an RC helicopter could be different. i have to think a good excuse to get me one. Er.. I mean, him. :)

when he was 4 (7 now), my son definitively liked to play with the regular cars/toys much more than with the various RC ones (mostly cars). he wanted the RC ones, but played more with the normal ones.

p.s: so BiTurboMunkie, what did you end up getting?