Be careful where you buy Applecare

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by netnothing, Jan 24, 2011.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Back in '07 and '08, I bought Applecare from eBay for my Mac Pro and Macbook. Didn't have any issues registering them.

Now, I just ordered Applecare for my 2010 Mac Pro and 27" ACD. Got the Mac Pro from the refurb store and the ACD from the Apple store (bought at separate times so I needed Applecare for both). When I went to register Applecare, both times Apple needed proof of purchase for both the Mac and the Applecare. It was easy to submit the receipt to them, however, they clearly state in the email you get:

It seems that Apple is cracking down on making sure people are buying Applecare from a "Authorized Reseller".

Thankfully, I ordered mine from J&R online for the Mac Pro and LA Computer Company for the ACD.

I'm still waiting for the ACD to go through, but don't think it'll be an issue.

This is just a heads up for people.....beware buying Applecare in an auction. You could be wasting money if Apple doesn't accept it.

-Kevin

PS. As a side note, this was my first time ordering Applecare from LA Computer Company (http://www.lacomputercompany.com/). I know there are a lot of threads on whether they are legit or not. I can say, not only did a get a great deal on the ACD Applecare ($40 compared to Apple's $99), but they shipped fast and everything was boxed perfectly.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There were threads about this. I guess Apple changed their policy as in the past eBay AC was fine. Nowadays, you won't even find those cheap ACs in eBay

3. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Yeah I remember back then reading about people and buying on eBay, so I did.

What I find most interesting is that the email Apple sends explicitly states eBay and Craigslist as two places they will need to see original proof of purchases. You know you aren't getting that if you buy from either of those.....so I'd personally steer clear from buying on eBay or Craigslist.

-Kevin

4. rumplestiltskin macrumors regular

The issue is really eBay vendors selling AppleCare numbers only. Where these numbers came from may be the problem; are they legitimate or are they fake numbers that somehow have krak'd the AppleCare numbering scheme?

Apple changed their AppleCare registration numbering system so that issue may be eliminated. I've bought AppleCare from a number of eBay vendors and, since Apple's change in policy, virtually all of those vendors have vanished except for those selling an actual AppleCare package (box, registration card, TTD disc, instruction pamphlet). I did have one "reg # only" eBay purchase that Apple denied (at the beginning of this new policy) and that vendor refunded my money immediately.

LA Computer Company (lacocostore.com) is legitimate. I've bought lots of AppleCare packages from them. None have ever been questioned by Apple.

5. Remmnever macrumors member

http://myworld.ebay.com/macman812&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID appears to be a legitimate seller. He is also a member here on the forums and posts now and then. He also describes this new apple policy and says he will ship the box if requested.

My original warranty is up in about 8 months but I will either purchase from LA Computer Company or Macman812.

6. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Interesting. He states:

If that is in fact true, then as long as you get the box you should be fine. However, in the email I got from Apple, they only mentioned wanting the original proof of purchase as a sales receipt:

I'd say regardless.....you take your changes with ordering Applecare off eBay at this point. If Apple will really accept the serial number on the box (why shouldn't they afterall), then that makes it easier....but I wouldn't take the chance unless you can get an incredible deal off eBay.

-Kevin

7. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

8. blueprint1983 macrumors 6502

I just bought from B&H Photo because anything lower is basically extremely sketchy.

9. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

so just to be sure
    BH photo or la computers is safe and 100% no flaws to order from?

10. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Don't forget any educators get apple care for much cheaper!:D

11. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

B&H Photo is one of the largest and most trusted stores for photographers which also has a computer department. I've been shopping with them, both on-line and in the store for many years.

12. trip1ex macrumors 68000

He is selling Applecare for the iMac with the box for $140 on Ebay now. That's just a buck or two lower than what they go for on Amazon. Weren't his prices much lower before for the same Applecare?

13. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

ABSOLUTELY! Just find a friend or relative that has an educational ID and take them along to buy it for 33% off!

14. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

15. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I guess Apple changed their policy as in the past eBay AC was fine. Nowadays, you won't even find those cheap ACs in eBay"

Now, what does this tell you?

First, Apple changes their AppleCare registration policies, to toughen them up so that one must be able to show proof of ownership (including a bona fide serial number) in order to register it.

Next, the "ebay/Applecare/no box/registration code only" sellers virtually disappear from sight.

If ANY of those sellers had legally-obtained AppleCare to sell, they sure don't have it no mo'....

Methinks they NEVER had them in the first place.

"Ebay AppleCare/no box/code only" was a scam from the get-go.

16. jesterscourt macrumors regular

Thanks guys, just bought my AppleCare for my MB for 174 w/ free shipping from B&H.

17. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Apple is now refusing Applecare from LA Computer

Ok, so I'm less than pleased with Apple right now.

They have REJECTED my Applecare (brought from LA Computer) for my 27" ACD that I purchased from LA Computer Company. They will not budge.

Apple is rejecting this solely on the fact that LA Computer are not listed as an authorized reseller. I was able to provide all the proof of purchase and box.....Apple will not budge. I asked the Apple rep, why I as a consumer is responsible....he refused to back me up. Basically, it's my fault in all this. Apple doesn't care about going after unauthorized resellers. He basically told me to deal with them and getting my money back. Nice huh?

Basically, I called LA Computer and they did say they lost their Authorized reseller status last year, but have sold tons since then. I'm guessing Apple picked mine out and choose to make a deal about it.

I asked the Apple rep where is there a list of authorized resellers. He pointed me to this page:
    http://solutionprofessionals.apple.com/catalog/

I told him....they should probably make that MORE FRIGGIN OBVIOUS so people, regular people, know what they are getting into.

You know what's funny.....B&H Photo isn't even listed on that page.

Unless you buy from someone on this page, or Apple....they retain the right to NOT register your Applecare.

BEWARE. Apple doesn't care about the consumer here.....all they want is the money coming back into them.

Beware where you buy Applecare from!

Thankfully, Yunus at LA Computer is willing to refund my credit card for the purchase. He was very nice and had a few choice things to say about what Apple is turning into.

-Kevin

18. blueprint1983 macrumors 6502

I just find it odd that that list is so limited, there are other legit sellers that aren't even on that list. Best Buy isn't even on that list.

19. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Amazon is on the list but it's 285 (15" MBP) from the amazon authorized store

20. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

From the list, other than J&R....most of them all sell at retail or very minor discount.

Looks like I'll go with J&R for $79 for my ACD Applecare now.

-Kevin

21. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

22. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Sure, and I'll bet many other people bought from both B&H Photo and LA Computer and didn't have any issues.

I'm just here to relay my bad experience and the technical standpoint Apple is sticking behind.

I don't know how they do Applecare registrations online when it's not bought from Apple. Is there a system that randomly selects new registrations to check? I know my Applecare for my Mac Pro that was from J&R was initially flagged with needing proof of purchase. Thankfully J&R is on that list and once they received the copy of the receipt, they processed it right away. Same thing happened with LA Computer, however this time I called and when the women put me on hold after she got my LA Computer invoice, she came back saying they wouldn't except it because they aren't authorized.

All I want is for people that may be searching to be aware that Apple's policys have changed. Heck, my 2006 Mac Pro and my current Macbook were both bought from eBay....and had ZERO issues at the time registering them....no questions asked. I think Apple is clamping down and getting stricter to get people to just buy it directly from them.

-Kevin

23. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

sucks
    so i guess I am just gonna fork over 249.00 to apple since bh is not a authorized reseller

24. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

i had the exact same problem....got AC on eBay with the box...but not with the original proof of purchase...The Apple rep refused to register it. Eventually...I had to state the law...I had the box...I had the serial number...that is it.

25. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Update

So here's the latest update to my story:

I have sent the Applecare back to LA Computer, and hopefully Yunus stays true to his word and refunds my money. Of course I'm now out shipping both ways.

I ordered it from J&R for $79.

Now the real twist!
    I just received a call back from the Applecare rep stating that after a meeting with managers, she would be able to accept the registration. Well of course at this point, I politely told her that I had already shipped the product back and ordered a new one (because the Customer Care rep told me I have no other options), of course for more money. I think she honestly did feel bad about it, and I think she understands the situation. I think in the end Apple has gone too far with their blocking on Applecare's that were purchased legitimately.

So in the end.....I didn't get the deal I wanted.....in fact with all the shipping back and forth, I ended up paying about $102 for a $99 Applecare.

The Apple rep did say when I get the new one, to email her and she'll approve it right away.....of course, there are no worries since it's from an approved Apple reseller. :rolleyes:

The Applecare rep showed compassion going the extra mile and I thanked her. Can't say as much for the "Customer Care rep" Mr. Conrad that flat out refused to help at all.

-Kevin

PS. She did say that B&H Photo is an Authorized reseller, even though they don't show on the list (although this is just one persons word). I told her they have a problem on their hands because we as consumers have no clue where is safe, according to Apple, to buy Applecare.