Be honest now - bulge issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by thewoz, May 27, 2012.

1. thewoz macrumors member

How common is it to get a battery exploading inside your MacBook Air nowadays? I don't want to wake up to a bulging laptop.

2. glen e macrumors 68030

Wow...paranoid much?

How much do you see that here?

3. thewoz thread starter macrumors member

Maybe it's because when you google "swollen or bulging battery" the results only turn up 1 name, and that name is APPLE.

Not only that, but my friend sent me a picture of his white plastic MacBook. Guess what?

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Where did you get the idea there's a "bulge issue"?

5. thewoz, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2012

thewoz thread starter macrumors member

6. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

First, you sound like a troll. Second, I've heard of this happening once or twice in first generation Airs. You can rest assured that it is not in any way a common issue or something you should be concerned with.

7. glen e macrumors 68030

Oh c'mon guys ......

remember "be honest now......"

Sheesh.......

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I disagree.

If one reads the OP's post, it asks one simple question without any accusations or trashing of Apple.

Perhaps you have a deep seated need to be negative and accuse. Why not respond without assuming, or accusing. It makes one look better when they are friendly.

------

To the OP, in the past Apple like a few other manufacturers, received defective batteries from their vendors. However this has not been a problem in recent times. That's why I asked where you got the idea.

I have a few of the latest models. 2010 & 2011 MBP's & MBA's, these four have been just fine. Reliable, fast, and no bugs or problems.

9. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

This. I've never heard of it happening commonly outside of the old multibody MBP's.

10. 31rhcp macrumors member

Wow. This is why people bash Apple fanboys.

I am currently typing on a white MacBook that is on its second battery because of this exact issue. The funny thing is, my old battery still gets ~2 hours of battery life, but it is ridiculously bulged out. This was a known problem with a previous Apple computer and the OP just wants to know if the MBA suffers from the same problem. I would also be interested as I am considering a MBA for my next computer.

11. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

No, I have not experienced this, nor have I heard of it on these forums.

12. thewoz thread starter macrumors member

This is what I hope.

Now. All I need is To have a look at people with Airs and checked their keyboards and make sure they aren't cracked.

If these 2 things are uncommon then I would take the plunge.

13. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

Simple answer is yes it has happened (although i'd say to use the term "exploding" is a bit overkill), but it is VERY rare on the MBA compared with the MBP and MB .

It is not something you need worry about anymore than any other electrical product having a defective battery/part.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Never had bulging battery issue with an Apple laptop computer. They did however recall some a couple years ago and they sent me a replacement battery at no charge.

As with the issue, it was due to shorting Sony cells, and not Apple's fault.

15. KPOM macrumors G5

It is not a very common issue with the MacBook Air. Exploding batteries can happen with any manufacturer. Lithium ion is inherently volatile, and many manufacturers have had recalls (Dell and Sony come to mind). However, the failure rate is fairly low with just about any OEM battery. The bulge "issue" is mostly because Apple was one of the first with the unibody design and sealed battery.

16. cheesygrin macrumors member

If memory serves, the problem was not with Apple per se, but with the external battery manufacturer, which I believe was Sony. Sony was always a quality brand, and even they made a mistake with these.

The affected laptops were across a number of brands, including Sony, and many others. Actually, when I googled "defective laptop battery", HP seemed to be the biggest offender.

I think the thing is that batteries in general aren't particularly reliable technology. Even car batteries need replacing every 4-5 years on average. Apple may have some bad press in the past, but they aren't any worse than any other manufacturer.

17. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

I've had my 2011 11" MBA for about 6 months and I have neither a swollen battery nor a cracked keyboard. So far, so good. Fingers crossed.

18. thewoz, May 28, 2012
    Last edited: May 28, 2012

thewoz thread starter macrumors member

I remember this. The batteries catching fire.

[​IMG]

19. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

No worries, my company buys a bunch for the last few years, nothing's happened, don't read about it here either.

20. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

21. Mikey-Mike macrumors member

Mikey-Mike

No bulging battery here,

But in the gripe department, does anyone else find the paint on the MB-A to be kind of glittery and 1990's in a bad way.

If anyone from Apple is reading this thread (and I know you probably are) possibly consider a matte finnish for the next revision.

Just a suggestion.

22. nufanec macrumors regular

Eh... the MacBook Air IS a matte finish. Like all Apple computers are currently.

23. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Stop taking it to the strip club :eek:

24. Mikey-Mike macrumors member

Mikey-Mike

Maybe they could paint it flat black or grey.

25. sundragon macrumors regular

sundragon

1. That image isn't an Apple Laptop. There are buttons that don't exist on any Apple computer...

2. Apple buys it's batteries from the same manufacturers as Lenovo, Toshiba, Samsung, Asus. Battery recalls happen for all of the above manufacturers...

3. I have an Air, owned a Powerbook, 2 Macbook Pros and none have ever caught on fire.