Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RiCEADDiCTBOY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
I currently have an iPhone 5S. I always buy a ton of Apple products. But, I never had a harder decision than debating between an iPhone 6S or 6S Plus.

I went to the store to hold a plus, and typing at first was a little awkward, but not uncomfortable. I put it into my pocket, and it fit but noticeable. But, not bothersome. Still not sure with a case.

However, the next fragment of decision making stems from black front or white front. I have ALWAYS gone with black front on my Apple products if given the choice.

Besides the argument of "better visual contrast" with the black front. Is there any pros or cons? I keep hearing that the white "helps to offer less visual stress" but as to how true that statement was, I am uncertain.

I am not trying to open another meaningless "which iphone" should I get. I just would like some useful commentary regarding this purchase decision.

...and why am I wanting a bigger iPhone? Hearthstone, photos and etc. :p

aesc80

macrumors 68020
Mar 24, 2015
Why not go to the Apple Store and check the colors out yourself? The 6S+ is the exact same as the 6+, just with heavier materials. If color is your only tie, then seeing them in person while changing the backlight settings will help. Besides, your eyes are different than others. See what fits you.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
I usually get a different iPhone color each time I upgrade. I like how Space Gray iPhones The content looks seamless and it's less distracting but I tend to prefer the silver, gold iPhones because the fingerprints are way less noticeable. Specs of dirt and smudges bug me. I thought the 6 Plus was huge when I checked it out and got the 6. Sold the 6 when everyone was raving about the battery life. The 6's battery life was decent to me but the 6 plus has incredible battery life. I got used to the size really quickly and wouldn't go to anything smaller. Worth a thought.

Reactions: applegeek97

RiCEADDiCTBOY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
Is there truth to white being easier on the eyes when viewing media? Also, I have looked at the colors. Its not so much the "color" of the iPhone as it is the front color I'm torn about.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
Space Gray makes it easier on the eyes viewing media. That's why bezels of tv's are black. It sort of disappears. It's really all personal preference. I like white because of fingerprints. If media was more important to me than my crazy annoyance of prints i'd get a space gray.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Unless your eyes are extraordinarily sensitive, you're not going to notice a difference between white bezels and black bezels in terms of it being easier on the eyes. You say you've been using black devices up till now. Do your eyes hurt? If not, there's nothing about the 6s Plus that's going to change that.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I have a really hard time with white bezel phones. They make colors appear to be washed out and dull to my eyes. It also distracts me from what I'm doing because the bezel will 8/10 times be lighter than the app I'm using.

I'd recommend looking at both, changing brightness settings, and get a feel for what you like most.

Reactions: applegeek97

dave559

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2015
I was comparing the colours of the iPhone 6 in-store today, and while I also generally prefer that gadgets should be black, I noticed that the curved glass front of the grey/black iPhone 6 meant that the shop lighting reflected really rather annoyingly and very obviously in the glass; in comparison, this wasn't really noticeable at all with the silver/white model. Similarly, I couldn't help but notice that fingerprint smudges seemed to be much more noticeable on the black bezel than on the white.

Both of these factors meant that I actually had to rethink and give some serious consideration as to whether I might then decide to choose a silver/white iPhone instead, although I still think that I'd feel less happy overall, white just looks a little gimmicky to me… (I do have a grey/black iPod Touch which looks as appropriately serious as you would expect, and I have no problems with reflections on it as its screen glass is pretty much flat.)

Obviously the lighting in a store environment is somewhat atypical and is designed to brightly illuminate the fixtures, but I did wonder whether I'd find the reflections just as obvious and annoying in a home or office setting?

In the longer term, how do black and white compare in terms of general grime and discolouration as the phone ages after extended use?

samcheezay

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
I've had both Space Grey and White Silver phones in the past. My friends who has the 6, white generally looks best in the shape and color. space grey in the 6 form looks too much of a plastic toy IMO. My 6 Plus is a white silver. It's a good looking phone. But other friends have the 6 plus in space grey which looks best IMO for that bigger screen size.

but all in all, it comes down to your own preference of color. there's no 'right' or 'wrong' way to go with the color you decide on. I'm just going back to space grey for my 6s Plus since I miss having the black front. :)

Reactions: karmamule

karmamule

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2008
Waltham, MA
I've had both, most recently my 6+ was space grey. I'm going back to a silver for me 6s+ because I found the space grey a bit more drab and uninteresting. I prefer the silver back and having white offset the screen more than black. I'm not sure why, perhaps because it's more reminiscent of a printed page? In any case, returning to silver/white.

Good luck making the best choice for yourself!

mzengr

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2014
I've been going back and forth since the 4S. I have the silver 6 and I'm getting the space gray 6s+. I prefer screen protectors and one thing I've noticed on the white bezel is after so long it seems there is discoloration.

samcheezay

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
I've had both, most recently my 6+ was space grey. I'm going back to a silver for me 6s+ because I found the space grey a bit more drab and uninteresting. I prefer the silver back and having white offset the screen more than black. I'm not sure why, perhaps because it's more reminiscent of a printed page? In any case, returning to silver/white.

Good luck making the best choice for yourself!

you'll def love the pop of the white on the plus size. very clean looking.

Reactions: karmamule

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
I personally never liked a white bezel, it's distracting to the eye of whats on the screen. Black blends away so you never notice the bezels. Just my opinion on it.

samcheezay

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
I personally never liked a white bezel, it's distracting to the eye of whats on the screen. Black blends away so you never notice the bezels. Just my opinion on it.

and that's why I'm going back to the black bezel. although, you do get used to it since that was my concern for my white silver 6 plus.

NYY FaN

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
New York
I've had a black iphone every year since the 3GS. I've decided going forward that I will get a black/space gray iphone for each new design model and silver iphone for every S model year.

The only reason I was fine getting the black model for the 5 and 5S is because they went from slate black to space gray so at least they looked different. With the 6 and 6s, both space gray models will look exactly the same.

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
I think white makes colors pop better (IMO) and I like it. If you had black...go with white. Sticking with one color all the time is boring and predictable. However, its your preference ;)
maxresdefault.jpg

wksj

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2015
White bezels don't bother me, but fingerprints bother me a lot, so Silver it is.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I was comparing the colours of the iPhone 6 in-store today, and while I also generally prefer that gadgets should be black, I noticed that the curved glass front of the grey/black iPhone 6 meant that the shop lighting reflected really rather annoyingly and very obviously in the glass; in comparison, this wasn't really noticeable at all with the silver/white model. Similarly, I couldn't help but notice that fingerprint smudges seemed to be much more noticeable on the black bezel than on the white.

Both of these factors meant that I actually had to rethink and give some serious consideration as to whether I might then decide to choose a silver/white iPhone instead, although I still think that I'd feel less happy overall, white just looks a little gimmicky to me… (I do have a grey/black iPod Touch which looks as appropriately serious as you would expect, and I have no problems with reflections on it as its screen glass is pretty much flat.)

Obviously the lighting in a store environment is somewhat atypical and is designed to brightly illuminate the fixtures, but I did wonder whether I'd find the reflections just as obvious and annoying in a home or office setting?

In the longer term, how do black and white compare in terms of general grime and discolouration as the phone ages after extended use?

I always end up using tempered glass that has a type of finish that's less reflective on the bezels. This probably wouldn't help you decide but I figured it put this out there. =)

2894a0c7753386c892956986a69ab63c.jpg

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I currently have an iPhone 5S. I always buy a ton of Apple products. But, I never had a harder decision than debating between an iPhone 6S or 6S Plus.

I went to the store to hold a plus, and typing at first was a little awkward, but not uncomfortable. I put it into my pocket, and it fit but noticeable. But, not bothersome. Still not sure with a case.

However, the next fragment of decision making stems from black front or white front. I have ALWAYS gone with black front on my Apple products if given the choice.

Besides the argument of "better visual contrast" with the black front. Is there any pros or cons? I keep hearing that the white "helps to offer less visual stress" but as to how true that statement was, I am uncertain.

I am not trying to open another meaningless "which iphone" should I get. I just would like some useful commentary regarding this purchase decision.

...and why am I wanting a bigger iPhone? Hearthstone, photos and etc. :p
Its a personal choice, put on your big girl panties and pick one.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I made the switch. Going silver with the preorder.
I ordered a 6s+space gray just in case I don't like the white face. There's plenty of time to cancel it if the white is ok
The iM4 is silver and I like the white face

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
They sell millions of each. People apparently like the regular and the plus and different colors.

Not sure how folks HERE can help you since it appears even you are not sure.

Yes?
No?

Reactions: sjcaguy

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I switch every cycle. Simple as that for me.

Gold 5S
Space gray 6 plus.
Gold 6S plus

When using the phone neither face color nor case has every made the slightest of difference to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.