Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
I just got totally burned.

Apple.com had my tracking for TUESDAY the 27 for over a week now. I even re-checked it this morning. Still the 27th!

But I was just putting my infant to sleep, about an hour ago, and came down to the dreaded "Sorry we missed you…" UPS note on my door.

Unbelievable.

So I checked Apple.com again. Still Tuesday the 27th.

I checked UPS… "First Attempt Made"

Totally. Fn. Livid. I'm still on hold with UPS, holding out hope I can grab the truck in my neighborhood.

The technical incompetence is kinda alarming here.

So…just be aware. You might be surprised today. Pleasantly, or unpleasantly.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Why would you not go by what the UPS tracking number said? If it says "out for delivery" in the morning, then you know it's being delivered that day. Apple shows my order as being delivered on 9/30 but UPS shows 9/27.

Reactions: ABC5S

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
Why would you not go by what the UPS tracking number said? If it says "out for delivery" in the morning, then you know it's being delivered that day. Apple shows my order as being delivered on 9/30 but UPS shows 9/27.

Because the tracking info still said the 27th?

I repeat: it did NOT say "out for delivery."

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
You said you checked apple.com. The tracking info would be on ups.com. Which one did you check?

Both. Apple pulls in UPS tracking info, so it was the same info…until it wasn't.

My point is that deliveries can come early. The whole supply chain is f'd up on this one, so BE READY.

I should have been.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Wait, so you're saying you went to ups.com, put in your tracking number, and it did not say it was out for delivery? If so that's messed up. But if you are relying on Apple's website to give you up to date information, that was your mistake.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I just got totally burned.

Apple.com had my tracking for TUESDAY the 27 for over a week now. I even re-checked it this morning. Still the 27th!

But I was just putting my infant to sleep, about an hour ago, and came down to the dreaded "Sorry we missed you…" UPS note on my door.

Unbelievable.

So I checked Apple.com again. Still Tuesday the 27th.

Totally. Fn. Livid. I'm still on hold with UPS, holding out hope I can grab the truck in my neighborhood.

The technical incompetence is kinda alarming here.

So…just be aware. You might be surprised today. Pleasantly, or unpleasantly.

I have had that message a number of times from UPS. I am in the house waiting for a delivery and could not possibly have missed a doorbell and or knock.

Ymmv but what happens is the parcel never made it on the truck to begin with or he cannot find it and to avoid confrontation, the driver sticks a note on the door.

Reactions: JungleNYC

Mike B in ok

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2015
Oklahoma
After futzing around in Asia for several days, UPS made a Herculean effort, and got my iPhone from Inchon to Oklahoma City in less than 24 hours, arriving this morning, but UPS tracking said delivery wouldn't be till Monday! I even went to the distribution center to try to get the package, and was told that despite what tracking said, my package wasn't yet in Oklahoma City, but would be delivered Monday. Minutes after I got home and started sulking, at 12:35 local, the door knocked, and there was the UPS man with my iPhone! If you've been affected by the recent UPS shenanigans, and have any indication your iPhone is near, I'd watch for it in the next few hours]

I apologize in advance for the poor saps I've inevitably given false hope to, but for some of y'all, I'll bet delivery today happens.

Last edited:

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
when you check ups what is the history before first attempt made?

Did it say out for delivery or what?

Not your fault either way IMO, but the carrier site vs apple is usually out of sync. I know with amazon sometimes the status will say picked up for processing where on fedex or whoever it'll say out for delivery.

In short, for future if you didn't already, always check the carrier site directly as that's still not 100% but the most up to date.

Reactions: TWO2SEVEN

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
when you check ups what is the history before first attempt made?

Did it say out for delivery or what?

Not your fault either way IMO, but the carrier site vs apple is usually out of sync. I know with amazon sometimes the status will say picked up for processing where on fedex or whoever it'll say out for delivery.

In short, for future if you didn't already, always check the carrier site directly as that's still not 100% but the most up to date.

Yeah, UPS this morning did NOT say "out for delivery." But after I discovered the note, it said "First attempt made."

Apple.com still says Tuesday. Which is BS. Because if they're not going to pull through accurate info, don't attempt to "tell" me the tracking status at all, plz. Because it's not helpful.

foxconn

Suspended
Sep 6, 2016
Both. Apple pulls in UPS tracking info, so it was the same info…until it wasn't.

My point is that deliveries can come early. The whole supply chain is f'd up on this one, so BE READY.

I should have been.

not in real time. my order said arriving september 22, while i had the phone in my hand, delivered on september 20

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
Okay, so I FINALLY was able to talk to my local UPS branch (they don't like you do do that, but).

Turns out UPS pulled an 'audible' today, and tried to get out in front of the upcoming deluge of deliveries. So they're trying to deliver as many as they can today.

That's a good thing in theory.

The BAD thing is that their systems are apparently NOT showing this updated shipping info until it actually happens (i.e., they knock on your door).

No text alerts (if you're signed up for those, like I am).

I am also apparently not the only WTF! customer who missed a delivery today because, surprise, we weren't expecting a delivery today.

In the 2 hours it took me to talk to an actual UPS human, my driver was too far away for me to drive to. Which is a real failure on UPS's part imho.

Looks like I'll be getting my phone on Tuesday. Oh well, I could've really used the weekend to migrate :\

foxconn

Suspended
Sep 6, 2016
Yeah, UPS this morning did NOT say "out for delivery." But after I discovered the note, it said "First attempt made."

Apple.com still says Tuesday. Which is BS. Because if they're not going to pull through accurate info, don't attempt to "tell" me the tracking status at all, plz. Because it's not helpful.

you are at fault for thinking that apple's information is just as up to date as UPS. they don't have their info "pushed" to apple, apple most likely has a set time to fetch the data.

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
you are at fault for thinking that apple's information is just as up to date as UPS. they don't have their info "pushed" to apple, apple most likely has a set time to fetch the data.

Again, sorry if I confused in my original post…i checked BOTH UPS and Apple this am. They were the exact same info earlier today.

Reactions: geoff5093

foxconn

Suspended
Sep 6, 2016
Again, sorry if I confused in my original post…i checked BOTH UPS and Apple this am. They were the exact same info earlier today.

in that case, that sucks. did they ring the doorbell? i heard many instances where they just leave a notice and drive off since most people aren't home when they're delivering (9-5 m-f)

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
in that case, that sucks. did they ring the doorbell? i heard many instances where they just leave a notice and drive off since most people aren't home when they're delivering (9-5 m-f)

No doorbell. I would've heard that for sure. I was putting my son to nap…so there's a chance he knocked on the screen door or something I didn't quite hear.

What's kind of interesting is that last week, I happened to be at home during lunch time, and the UPS guy came…and handed me a phone-sized box from Apple, had me sign the thingy. I was so psyched…a week early! Wow! Then I opened it. It was an iPhone 6. "WTF!?" So I looked at the packing slip and address…it was a TOTALLY different name and address! I had to chase the UPS guy down and give him the (opened) box back. Very sloppy :\

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Why didn't you print out and sign the waiver to put on your door? I do that even if I'm home in case I take a shower or am in basement etc

foxconn

Suspended
Sep 6, 2016
No doorbell. I would've heard that for sure. I was putting my son to nap…so there's a chance he knocked on the screen door or something I didn't quite hear.

What's kind of interesting is that last week, I happened to be at home during lunch time, and the UPS guy came…and handed me a phone-sized box from Apple, had me sign the thingy. I was so psyched…a week early! Wow! Then I opened it. It was an iPhone 6. "WTF!?" So I looked at the packing slip and address…it was a TOTALLY different name and address! I had to chase the UPS guy down and give him the (opened) box back. Very sloppy :\

something similar happened to me with the iPhone 4. driver dropped it off at a unit across from my house. the only reason i knew it was my iPhone 4 was because i was waiting outside for the driver hanging out with friends, once they delivered something there and not my house (it said out for delivery), i went on the tracking site and it said delivered.

i went to my neighbour and asked about it, and thankfully she gave me the package without any hassle.

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
Doesn't seem like you have any reason to be "livid", you weren't expecting the phone today anyway.

I was livid at UPS for not using the tech they literally use for every other delivery they make. The status was wrong all morning, i got zero text alerts, and when I called (15 minutes after the note was left) nobody would help me locate the truck - which I KNEW was still in my zipcode at that time.

I was irked for having to waste an hour-and-a-half trying to see if I could track it down. Being on hold. Being disconnected. Being told that there was no way to contact the driver, even though we ALL know that's not true at all. …not that I expected him to circle back to me…but I was willing to go to HIM. But no dice.

Besides the incompetence on UPS's part, the main reason I'm miffed at missing the phone delivery today is that I'm currently on a 16g loaner from work and it sucks. And it's going to take me a few hours at least to migrate my last backup (from 3 weeks ago) to the new phone. And (suddenly, magically) having the weekend to do that was awesome! And then it wasn't!

Again, though: the reason I posted here was to alert people to be on the lookout, so they could at least be aware that it might be coming today. And hopefully not experience the frustration I experienced :)

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Since you were not expecting until 9/27 this thread is silly, They tried to go the extra mile but yiu did not answer the door... They owe you nothing more.

Mercuric Oxide

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
NYC
I'm also in NYC like the topic creator and was not expecting the package today.

I woke up at 11:30 AM to my friend, who's also in NYC, texting "omg, my phone is scheduled to be delivered today!!!"

The last time I had checked UPS was late last night, and it still said Alaska, so I had just assumed a Mon delivery (Apple said Mon 9/26 delivery, and UPS still said "information unavailable").

So I check my phone, and of course see the delivery attempt just 30 minutes prior.

I raced out of my bed--3 days unshaven and with crust still in my eyes--and out my building, quickly grabbing the delivery note and frantically searching for the truck.

UPS normally takes their sweet time, but of course this time I couldn't find them (I ran around my apt building in a half mile radius).

I headed back to my apt and see a UPS Truck racing the opposition direction. I end up running after it for 5 mins (this is quite a distance for a truck that is magically making every single light) but he luckily stops to make a delivery and I catch up to him.

It was the wrong truck, OF COURSE. I show the guy my note and he makes a call. He let's me know that the driver will reattempt between 1-2 PM. I thank him profusely, drenched in sweat and my vision blocked by crust.

Guy shows up at 1:30 (to my surprise) and hands me the phone. So I had a happy ending :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.